Is Fashion best left to Less Attractive People?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by B_bxmuscle, Jun 15, 2011.

1. B_bxmuscle

B_bxmuscle New Member

I've been told that any care for your appearance, attention to how you dress, or any effort to look your best is "fashion" broadly speaking. Concern for specific designer gear, by contrast, they call "haute couture" and is a much narrower thing. OK.

But it really seems to me that genuinely attractive people don't need high end labels, the latest looks or styles, or much beyond certain basics to command attention and impress people. In fact, I'd say that such thing detract attention from the natural good looks of good-looking people and focus it on their stuff, styles or "look". (BTW by good-looking I mean not just handsome or pretty faces, but healthy skin, good teeth, lean fit physiques, clear eyes and other signs of good health and physical vigor).

Conversely, brilliant jewelry, the best designer clothes, expert make-up, hair-styles by talented stylists all seem better suited for less attractive people whose flaws can best hidden and whatever more limited assets they have most enhanced by such things. I'm leaving aside, of course, that there are specific situations like some work-places where what you wear really matters. Do others see it this way, or is it just me?

2. whatsup123456

whatsup123456 Member

I respectfully disagree

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I disagree also; it's like asking if healthcare is best left for only those in poor health. I think anyone can benefit from putting their best foot forward in regard to their appearance. The trick to doing it properly is knowing what works best for you and your lifestyle.
    Then there are the Fashion Victims and that is a completely different conversation.

4. ChicagoSW

ChicagoSW Member

Style is style. You can be physically attractive and tacky and slovenly at the same time. I'm reminded of college.

Also, labels do not necessitate style. You don't need to blow whole paychecks at nieman Marcus to look well put-together.

5. D_Rufus_D_Dufus

D_Rufus_D_Dufus Account Disabled

I disagree as well.. I wear higher-end clothing because it fits better and the difference in quality. I also choose to wear them because of the type of business that I'm in and my clients expect it.

6. xmarksbreakdownx

Gold Member

Albums:
    I see where you're comming from, and I understand.

I'm not saying I'm the best looking person in the world, but I personally don't give much of a shit about fashion. Everyday when I go out (excluding work) I wear a Polo shirt, and some jeans, because I don't want extra attention or anything because I'm ok with how I look.

Meanwhile I know people who dress in the hottest clothes and stuff so people will notice them. A friend of mine wears nothing but t shirts and shorts almost year round and girls are all over him. Go figure.

Kind of like girls with makeup...

At the same time though,

7. iWatch

iWatch New Member

Albums:
    Of the people that I'm personally acquainted with, I'd say only 1-5% are attractive in just about anything--be it a tattered tank top, ripped jeans, and dirty shoes, or high quality decked out formal wear with appropriate accessories.

Of the remainign 95-99%, except for special occasions that don't occur frequently, I don't think any would benefit from enhancing themselves with "more fashionable" clothes, makeup, jewelry, etc. on a regular basis. In fact if they did, I'd find it repulsive. Those who have more to offer than their appearance attract attention without it. And those who are drawn to the pretty flaw-hiding sparkliness likely aren't there for your personality.

#7 iWatch, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  8. B_bxmuscle

B_bxmuscle New Member

This is exactly what I meant. I started thinking about this when comparing two black guys I see regularly but don't know well, each with meticulously maintained dreds. One was perfectly average, even bland in every way -- looks, physique, height, skin and dull, watery eyes -- that he would have been invisible except for the long, meticulously maintain dredlocks that gave him a certain dramatic effect he'd never have otherwise.

The other was among the best-looking guys I've seen in a long time: tall, strikingly handsome, perfect skin, an athletic physique, a golden deep-caramel complexion. But the first thing you see on him is HAIR, dominating his face and presence and distracting from him in my judgement.

So I started looking around me and concluded that less is more for really good-looking people, but that some people really do need the extra help that careful attention to style, fashion, high-end labels can afford them.

9. earllogjam

Gold Member

I think I fall into your category of a genuinely attractive person who doesn't need fashion accessories to get noticed physically. I don't do fashion not because I don't need it but it doesn't interest me enough to spend a large part of my time and money for clothes and do dahs. I also hate shopping which doesn't lend itself to having a fabulous wardrobe.

That said, I do however like to look good and I appreciate well made clothes. I have a pragmatic attitude towards fashion. I am not obsessive with what clothes I buy but they all suit my personality and lifestyle and most of all they need to be COMFORTABLE. For some reason I have a lot of clothes from REI. I suppose that's fashionable to some people. lol.

Yes, fashion should be for everyone regardless of their god given appearance. It is your outward expression of self to the world. How could it be denied?

#9 earllogjam, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  10. SyddyKitty

Gold Member

Albums:
    Fashion is best left to those that don't care about their money. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted