Is going after al Qaeda militarily an operation without end?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_RedDude, Jun 10, 2011.

1. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

Creating a new thread on this topic with an edited title

RD

2. AlphaMale

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The simple answer to the question is: Yes

3. cruztbone

Gold Member

alpha male , there is no simple answer to this question, as it will take years of evaluation by governments in the west to see if the new #! of Al-Qayda is effective. it means we need to be on guard, but not at war.

4. BiItalianBro

Gold Member

Exactly...the crux of the problem is that Al-Q, being a loose and nebulous organization, can evolve their strategy quickly...while our entrenched defense and intel organizations can not.

5. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Cut defense spending, increase spending on intelligence services and forces. There. The "War" on Terrorism is not going to be won by conventional forces. Rather, the future of operations will be like the one that took out OBL.

6. Attila the Hung

Attila the Hung Active Member

Albums:
    How about the US gets the hell out of the Middle East and leave the Arabs to their own damn devices, crazy idea I know:rolleyes:.

7. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Not all of the Middle East is Arab.

8. Attila the Hung

Albums:
    I am aware of that, I figured most folks would understand my comment of getting out of the "Middle East" meant getting out of the Arab countrys and just let them be, pay for their oil and nothing else, let them sort out their own issues by themselves, the US has plenty of issues of its own to address.

9. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

On that adjusted view, your ideas sound good.
    I'm not sure of how practical they would be.
    Perhaps they are the most practical of all.

10. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    AQ is more of an ideology than anything like an organized group, and it's splintered everywhere from Yemen to Pakistan (which is pretty far-afield from the Mid East). Everything, it seems, that we've done militarily in Iraq and Afghanistan seems to have stoked the fires of resentment, not cooled them.

ObL was a Saudi: why have they escaped the "War on Terror"?

11. Stretch

Stretch New Member

True. The simple concept that accompanies that answer is that al Qaeda is the new enemy or actually Bogeyman...and a perfect one at that. No fixed country, transient "leader" and, for the foreseeable future a real, imagined or convenient excuse. The military industrial complex can fund itself and continue this "war" for years by fighting, and when necessary, funding and propagating this new enemy. In other words...an operation without end.

12. Attila the Hung

Albums:
    The way I see it, if the US gets outta there and pulls out all their troops and settles on simply paying for their oil and leaving it at that, well then those wacky terrorists won`t have anything to gripe about anymore really, their main beef is the presence of Americans on their "holy land" after all, well if we ain`t on their god forsaken turf no more than they can stop bitching once and for all.

And to add some icing on the cake taking a tougher stance against Israel on certain key issues which are dear to the Arabs would help as well, the US will never gain any popularity or support with the Arab world if they are constantly perceived as unequivocally supporting Israel on every single issue that is raised, there needs to be some balance there.

Of course it is wishful thinking though that the terrorists will simply disband and go home if this were to happen, after all the leaders of these terrorist groups have spent their entire lives fighting so to expect them to drop their arms and live peacefully ever after is ludicrous, so the heads of these organizations do have to be hunted down and executed, what happens afterwards is anyone`s guess.

13. Attila the Hung

Albums:
    I think we all know the answer to that one.

:cool:

14. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    All the same, there are Terror Hawks here on the board: I'd love to hear their answer, expressed coherently.

15. Attila the Hung

Albums:
    Lol, that was my actual reaction to that last bit when I read it, coherence isn`t their strong point really, well for most of them anyway from what I`ve seen and read.

16. Stretch

Stretch New Member

I agree Boxingman. Unfortunately you can replace terrorists with any number of "good guy" phrases and the conclusion is the same.

17. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

Why not the U.S. aggressively working toward not needing oil from that area of the world at all, as a genuine objective?

My opinions on Israel have been stated in the past, so I won't even go there.

18. Stretch

Stretch New Member

I agree with you also Red. In a perfect world that would be...well perfect, but the U.S. is, as you know, aggressively working towards controlling the oil in that area of the world. The reasons are obvious but the consequences are extremely convoluted.

#18 Stretch, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  19. Attila the Hung

Albums:
    That is an even better idea actually, a great one even, and it is precisely for that very reason that it will never be implemented.

20. MercyfulFate

MercyfulFate New Member

Albums:
    Al Qaeda is a joke, they most likely number in triple digits and are less of a threat than a lightning strike.

Meanwhile we are funding and arming Mexican drug lords. Al Qaeda is just a convenient boogeyman for never ending war.

Now Obama has an illegal war going in Libya, disgusting. Where are the anti war Obama supporters?

Draft saved Draft deleted