Is he really dead - the Boss?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dong20, Jun 18, 2009.

1. dong20

Gold Member

Well, since they buried him today, so I hope so.

After over 40 years under Bongo, what's next for the long suffering Gabonese?

They have oil ...

2. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I expect Springsteen will be around for a good long while yet.

3. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I'm ashamed to say I don't know enough about him or the situation to comment intelligently.

4. D_Selathiel Sextoye

D_Selathiel Sextoye New Member

It is actually expected that he is going to be succeeded by his son, Ali Bongo. Firstly, I didn't realise that the TV magician was the son of an African president. Secondly, I thought he himself passed away earlier this year.

5. dong20

Gold Member

You're joking, right? :confused:

A play on it likely requiring a magician to help Gabon achieve its potential?

6. D_Selathiel Sextoye

Seriously. Will be interesting to see how shrieks of "Uju Buju Suck Another Juju" will help maintain stability in the country.

7. dong20

Gold Member

Well, since 'Ali Bongo' (the magician) died in March, and Ali Bongo (the defence minister) is alive and (presumably), well in Gabon, I imagine it will be very interesting indeed.

Either more jesting, or you're ignorant to Olympic gold medal standard ...

8. D_Tully Tunnelrat

D_Tully Tunnelrat New Member

It may just be the effects of joint he's smoking in his avatar. OTOH, I kinda liked the idea of head of state who's got his on juju band. LC maybe on to something.

9. midlifebear

Gold Member

So far the combined posts are enough to create the seminal idea for a comedy/dramedy series on ShowTime. Regardless, hope the Gabonese don't suffer too much. Where there be oil there be major mischief.

10. D_Selathiel Sextoye

Yes mate, I believe that Ali Bongo, the recently deceased 79 year old white British TV magician, is the same Ali Bongo, the son of the recently deceased 73 year old black Gabonese president. Jesus. Presumably, 'the grey country' is an irony free zone.

11. dong20

Gold Member

By no means, it's familiar with the device, and its denizens employ it often.

But the distinction between irony, satire and common or garden ignorance isn't always readily discernable in an environment such as this. Also, when responding to posters with whom I'm unfamiliar, I tend to err on the side of caution, and afford them the courtesy of taking their comments at face value. Since you haven't been here long that's what I did. I gave you an out, twice - you declined.

In future however, I'll be sure to afford your commentary [outside the jokes forum] due regard.:wink:

12. dong20

Gold Member

Indeed.

It's only necessary to look further north (for example) for ample evidence of that.

According to the constitution, elections must be held within 45 days, although the current working timetable is at least 90 - due to the voters roll being unfit for purpose. Of course, one can draw any number of inferences from that observation.

Still, at least the Gabonese government admit he's dead, their prouncements over the last few weeks were comedic.

I wonder if Ali will even attempt to achieve power through a credible election, as opposed to orchestrating a simple succession. Given the nation's politcal history, that would be the political equivalent of pulling a rabbit out of a hat. :wink:

13. D_Selathiel Sextoye

Yes, I do see your point. There are indeed many ignorant oafs out there that it can be difficult to discern stupidity from sarcasm (especially given that irony and sarcasm don't always come over in the written word).

On a more serious note, I'm sure the French Government will offer a hand in finding a suitable successor. One that will continue to safeguard their sizeable oil interests in the country...

Draft saved Draft deleted