Is it a bad idea for a straight man to work at a gay bar/club?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Boondocksaints, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Boondocksaints

I have been offered a job working as a bartender at a gay bar. The one caveat is that I would have to go shirtless, which is not a problem for me.

Although I do not care one iota about a person's sexual orientation, I, myself, am straight. I've only been to one gay club when I went for fun.

So would this be a problem to the customers that I am straight? I am laid back, nice and friendly.

Also, is it better to work at a gay bar or gay club?

#1 Boondocksaints, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I knew several straight guys that worked at gay bars when I lived in Birmingham. In fact, one's wife also worked there. They enjoyed gay people and most made better-than-average tips.

I have to ask...what is the difference in gay bars and gay clubs? :confused:

3. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

It's quite a common occurrence for people working or visiting a gay bar to be straight. It's no biggie :)

4. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I know a couple people who have done this... just be pleasant and friendly and you should get great tips. BTW I once worked as a bartender in a straight bar and I had no troubles whatsoever.

5. Krusader

Gold Member

Albums:
    I dont think it should be a problem at all

6. Boondocksaints

Well the reason I asked this question here is because I googled this question and it took me to a gay themed website. A poster there posed a similar question and he seemed to be getting a lot of hostility from the other posters. A lot of them were saying he is "tricking" the customers out of their money. A lot were just downright calling him names. Everybody was really letting that poster have it.

7. nudeyorker

Gold Member

"Tricking the customers out of their money?" They sound like very immature people. You should be tipping for good service not someone sexual orientation. When I was tending bar I don't think any of the straight customers ever thought I was tricking them.

8. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I don't get the question? Does one make a better drink than the other? hmmmm

I'm off to another bar now.

9. Remington

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I don't think it'll be an issue.

10. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

Your abilities as a barman matter a hundred times more than your sexual orientation.

11. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    It all matter about what you feel and what's going on in your head. If you feel uncomfortable ask why: is it you, about you or what people will think?

12. earllogjam

Gold Member

Do you enjoy getting hit on and propositioned by gay guys?

13. Endued

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It's illegal.

14. coveryerteeth

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The point that they're trying to make is that they find the idea of a hot straight bartender raking in the cash from drunk, horny gay patrons to be exploitative. And they're right, it is.

What people who argue this fail to take into account is that a hot gay bartender raking in the cash from drunk, horny gay patrons is no less exploitative.

Unless this hypothetical gay bartender was a total turbo-slut, the chances that any old Tom, Dick or Harry could walk in off the street and seal the deal with just a wink, a smile and a fat tip are only marginally less unlikely compared to a bartender that has no interest in fucking men, altogether.

As long as you've got a hot body and heavy pouring hand, I say go for it, man.

15. Boondocksaints

Thanks guys. That was really helpful.

16. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't think it would be a problem AT ALL. Bartenders are there to dispense liquor and snippets of social conversation. They are not there to dispense sexual favors.

17. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge

Why would you even ask a question like that? The inference, not to mention the salacious intrusion, is entirely uncalled for.

All the OP needs to do is be able to deal with being hit on, which by definition goes with the territory. Every gay bar I've ever known had straight employees, many of whom got the best tips. They were comfortable, courteous and cool with it, totally laid back. It's like many of my straight friends who are more flirtatious with me than my gay friends. They enjoy expanding their own boundaries without breaking them. It's up to the OP to know where he stands and he need not apologize nor explain it as long as he comes to an understanding within himself.

18. Boondocksaints

LOL Thanks Nick ^^^

But I'm not offended by the question. I don't feel uncomfortable to those that asked. I'm just flattered when gay guys hit on me because it just means someone finds you attractive. I don't go around getting some huge ego boost and getting off on that though. I think that's obnoxious.

So I went today for my first day near Times Square. It was a fun and pretty crazy experience. This place doubles as a male dancer/stripper place from 6-11 PM that caters to women (but also saw some gay men) Then it turns into a gay club/lounge for the rest of the night.

My buddy works as a dancer and he just told me to come check it out to see if I wanted to work there. When I met the manager, he immediately told me to take my shirt off so he could check out the goods lol. Then I ended up working as a topless waiter (plus I gave some lap dances) during the male dancer portion. And I just served drinks during the club portion.

I didn't expect to be dancing half naked for people when I went in and I've never done anything like this before. I got a lot of tips because I was the only Asian dancer. Actually, the gay guys tipped the best haha Anyways, if you any of you guys want to check it out and you happen to be in NYC, it's on 39th St and 8th Ave.

19. ronin001

Gold Member

Albums:
    I guess it is the same as a hot woman thit is hired to bartend at a straight club / bar or even a strip club. BUt she turns out to be married or seriously engaged.

You can look at her, talk to hit , hit on her; but you are 99% propably not going to get into her pants, even with a bigggggggg tip

20. ScotRandom

ScotRandom Active Member

Albums:
    A Galaxy Far Far Away, LPSG, KIK & Fab Swingers. A
    Boon, you sound like a decent, genuine, conscientious, honest guy. If you get tips (irrespective of shirtless or not) then you have in whatever way counts for your customer a good service. Don't fret about it buddy. I'm sure if your customer hasnt got a great service you'd be apologizing & win em over. Don't let other people's problems become yours. Hope this helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted