Is it a Racist word?

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
:confused: Pardon my ignorance,but is the word "Paki" a racist comment?.

After the falling out at Strictly come dancing when the word was used, i kinda came to thinking -

A shop in my neighborhood is known as Paki Harry's, it is known because the owner is from Pakistan and he has those words painted on his shop signage, he also introduces himself as Paki Harry.

Listening to the politics show today about the Lisbon treaty etc, Polish people were refered to as Poles, British people were brits and the people from Checoslovaquia were refered to as Checs.

Why is the word Paki refered to as a racist comment?, would'nt Poles also be the same and the word Brits?.

What do you think?

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The first time I'd ever heard the term was in a movie called My Beautiful Laundrette, which addressed racism and homophobia in a semi-humorous way in 1980s London. "Paki" was used as a racial slur.

In general, I defer to people of the group being referred to in deciding whether or not a term is racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. If it's a term that I know is considered offensive, I avoid using it.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I think it depends, and typically, it's based on derivation. That is, a lot of shortened names are derogatory, while in other cases, that's just the "real" name. Calling the Irish "Micks", is very different from calling Polish people "Poles".

It also depends on delivery. Growing up, I had to say "Jewish people", or something equally awkward, because we weren't allowed to say "Jew(s)". If you heard, "When Jews discuss their history...", there isn't really anything negative attached to it. On the other hand, "They're such Jews...", is quite a different story.

Rubenesque

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wait a minute....

I must've missed the Strictly thing, what happened? who said what?

I think it depends who uses the word and how. Bit like the N word.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
In the 1960's "Paki" was used in a derogatory way by British tabloids as a label for all south Asians. Not just those from Pakistan. It is considered offensive in Canada as well. But I don't know about the US.

Any word can be turned into a pejorative label depending on the context it's use in. Yes Pole isn't offensive, but "Pollack" can be.

If the word "Paki" had never been used in a hateful way, in a way that connects Pakistani's to negative imagery, it's usage wouldn't be racist today.

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
Wait a minute....

I must've missed the Strictly thing, what happened? who said what?

I think it depends who uses the word and how. Bit like the N word.

Splatterd all over the papers today D and i thought you was a Strictly cum dancing girl :tongue:.

Seriously though, it can be confusing then, if a Pakistani guy paints it on his shop and introduces himself as such, then what is it?, Accepted or not?

Last edited:

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
To me it depends on the sentiment behind the word as expressed by the user. I agree with the OP in that I see it as an abbreviation much like Brit. I do not deny though that some will use the word in a way meant to cause insult.

D_Rawkesbye Deadheade

Experimental Member
Media
People have different levels of tolerance so I suppose it is a racist word to some but not to others.

Being Asian and having spent time in the UK I would say there are things far worse than verbal abuse happening around there if one should ever find oneself in the wrong place and the wrong time. I've not let it generalise the great majority of the British population though. Maybe my threshold is high?

Anyway, the bottom line is if the word is borderline-racist I'd suggest everyone to avoid using it, especially to address the particular group the word is derived from, unless you're really close and know your mate can take is in good, teasing nature.

By the way, I don't feel that the word "Paki" is racist but it seems to be a sensitive issue for Pakistanis and South Asians so I'm avoiding it.

Last edited:

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
my take?

paki harry doesn't mind it.
well, there are black people who call themselves and each other nigger.
nigger is still considered a racist term.
nigger is just a word, but because it's been used as a racial insult for so many decades it's not considered ok to use it.

i suspect there is a cultural thing here. in the uk at least, the word paki is on a par with the word nigger. to a brit it's that offensive.

oh yeah, i mean 'n-word' and 'p-word', for those who are terminally pc.

Last edited:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you use simple common sense as your guide in that any word or phrase that is meant to belittle or degrade someone is unacceptable. However I am somewhat of a hypocrite with Hawaiian Pidgin phrases. There is a word Pake (pah Kay) that is very derogatory toward Chinese people. I have Chinese friends so I would never dream of using the phrase in their presence. However at the supermarket the other day I said to my partner "Why are you acting so Pake?" My luck the checkout person was from Hawaii and knew my meaning. I learned my lesson, next time I'll just say "Why are you acting like such a Manini?" (ma Nee nee) It's equally insulting and does not have anything to do with anyones race or religion.

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
To me it depends on the sentiment behind the word as expressed by the user. I agree with the OP in that I see it as an abbreviation much like Brit. I do not deny though that some will use the word in a way meant to cause insult.

I agree. Anytime this subject comes up, it's always controversial. I'm sure I'm either going to aggitate someone, or even piss someone off, but I do not believe that there is a racist "word". I believe that there are racist statements, I believe that there are racist people, and, I believe that there are racist conditions, which the words can be, or are used. And, I don't agree with any of them.

example; Someone can call me a "Redneck", and I can laugh and even agree. Someone can call me a "Redneck", and they'll have to pick a few teeth up off the ground. It depends on how it is intended.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I agree. Anytime this subject comes up, it's always controversial. I'm sure I'm either going to aggitate someone, or even piss someone off, but I do not believe that there is a racist "word". I believe that there are racist statements, I believe that there are racist people, and, I believe that there are racist conditions, which the words can be, or are used. And, I don't agree with any of them.

example; Someone can call me a "Redneck", and I can laugh and even agree. Someone can call me a "Redneck", and they'll have to pick a few teeth up off the ground. It depends on how it is intended.
but if someone tight permed their hair and you said,
''you look like a nigger like that!'',
that has to be offensive, yes?

it's the exact same deal.

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality