Is It Actually Possible For Lean/Thin Guys To Get The Classic Pecs/Chest?

dingdong

Cherished Member
Media
Is it? :confused:

When I see pictures of the men with the strong/broad chest/defined pecks, am I right in assuming that these guys were of a medium build before they started training/gym? :confused:

I mean, I'm naturally thin, and I have nearly no muscle at all on my chest - it's just skin and bone. But when I see other people who do not work out, but are more of an "average" build with a bit of depth to their chest (where the bones don't show), I can imagine them having developed chest muscles if they work out. :confused:

In general, aren't the distances between the shoulders of naturally thin people's too narrow to accomodate a "broad" chest without it looking as if the head is too small for the body? :confused:

I tried to find a suitable picture to explain what i mean :tongue: - the first one shows a person who I think is my body type.

The second is an example of the classic "broad/defined" chest. Surely it is impossible for the person in the first picture to ever achieve this look because they don't have the correct muscle tone? :confused:

The third picture is of the actor Cam Gigandet who is a naturally lean guy but has definition in his chest. However, is this the maximum he will reach? :confused: Will any amount of training result in achieving a chest like the person in the second picture? :confused:

Attachments

Last edited:

xolinlevh

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i kinda wonder the same thing, i look like the guy in the first photo, really lean, almost no muscle. id love to build a bit up look more like the 3rd photo

D_Diesel Oyl

Sexy Member
Media
Dudes - with diet, training - anything is possible.

Can you affort a personal trainer for a few months? A good one should be able to get you on the way -

You can get jacked as fuck if you want!!! GO for it!

Cowabanga

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to be like the guy in the first photo, but I lift weight to get bigger. I was not happy with my chest and wonder the same as you. I still dont have a chest like some guys, but I do have a strong back. The back muscle is like a picture frame and can make the chest look bigger. Hence the guy in third photo looks like he has a smaller chest than the second photo.

The good news is that you have a fast metabolism, and do not have to lift a lot of weight to gain muscle. You would need to split your body up in 2 days or more so you dont overtrain. and stay under 20 sets total workout for the day. Hard quick short 30-45 minute workout is what you want to do, and eat more often smaller meals every 3 hours.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Everybody's skeleton and muscle shapes are different. There are some otherwise skinny guys with prominent pecs. Some bodybuilders have great big arms, but relatively flat pecs. Some people have square shoulders, some people have round ones. A person with round shoulders, even with developed deltoids will still not look as broad shouldered, V shaped, as a person with naturally square shoulders. Lats are as big a part of this as pecs.

Most people continue to thicken even through most of their adult lives. A lot of people shoot up in height in their teens, then broaden, with out necessarily working out.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to look just like the guy in the first photo. I am 5' 9" tall and until I started a systematic muscle-building effort in my thirties, I never weighed more than 130 pounds. I have come a long way since then, but obviously I don't look anything like the hunk in photo number 2: I've got about the same degree of pectoral development as the guy in photo no. 3 (photo). It would be nice if I could put on some more muscle, but after about fifteen years of effort, including the implementation of programs for "hard gainers," it looks to me as though my body is not going to do that. But I am not discontented with the shape that I've got and I think it would be silly of me to be so.

There have been bodybuilders who started out as skinny guys. I seem to recall, from when I was reading muscle magazines for information, that the bodybuilder Frank Zane is one of them. But I suspect, first, that they got to where they got with the help of anabolic steroids, and second, that if they didn't, it was because they were lucky in their genetic predisposition.

Everybody's skeleton and muscle shapes are different. There are some otherwise skinny guys with prominent pecs. Some bodybuilders have great big arms, but relatively flat pecs. Some people have square shoulders, some people have round ones. A person with round shoulders, even with developed deltoids will still not look as broad shouldered, V shaped, as a person with naturally square shoulders. Lats are as big a part of this as pecs.

Quite true.

dingdong

Cherished Member
Media
I used to look just like the guy in the first photo. I am 5' 9" tall and until I started a systematic muscle-building effort in my thirties, I never weighed more than 130 pounds.

WOW! :eek: - I'm also 5'9" and i weigh 125lbs

The pictures in your gallery of your chest are what I dream of achieving! :tongue: I can't believe you used to look like picture number 1! :eek:

So what was your regime/diet? :confused: (apologies if this question is too long to answer :tongue:)

Last edited:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
WOW! :eek: - I'm also 5'9" and i weigh 125lbs

The pictures in your gallery of your chest are what I dream of achieving! :tongue: I can't believe you used to look like picture number 1! :eek:

So what was your regime/diet? :confused: (apologies if this question is too long to answer :tongue:)

Well, great -- so I can be an encouraging model you. :tongue:

For me, changing my ideas about diet was the first thing that made a difference. I had tried taking up weight training two or three times and had never gained more than about two pounds. I figured out that that was mainly because I was not modifying my diet to support muscle growth. I had read a lot about nutrition, but most of what I read was directed at people who consume too much of their diet in fat and simple carbohydrates. So I was eating lots of whole grains and fresh fruits and vegetables, as indeed one always should, but in order to gain muscle, you are going to have to add what a nutritionist described to me as "more concentrated sources of calories," meaning some sweet and fatty things (though preferably not too much of the sweets and not much saturated fat). I also went to GNC and bought a weight-gain powder, with which I made shakes that I could consume between meals. So I raised my caloric intake by a good thousand calories a day -- all this while working out with weights three times a week, mind you.

Actually, to cut the story short, I can direct you to a Web site that I think has just the sort of information that you are looking for, though it is a commercial operation. You can sign up to get e-mail messages for free that contain a lot of information though they also pester you to sign up for a paid program:

Muscle Building Coach

The site used to be called "The Skinny Guy's Guide to Building Muscle Mass," when it was a lot less slick.

I mainly got my information from bodybuilder magazines, though I felt ridiculous buying them when I knew that I would never look anything like the guys in them and really had no wish to do so! And there are loads of books that describe what you should have in a workout, how the various exercises are done and what they are for, etc.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
A person with round shoulders, even with developed deltoids will still not look as broad shouldered, V shaped, as a person with naturally square shoulders. Lats are as big a part of this as pecs.
The pioneer bodybuilder Larry Scott (whom the Scott Bench was named after) was famous for his baseball biceps. His shoulders were very narrow, though, and he always posed from the side whenever possible. As you stated, you just can't change some things.

I have naturally skinny legs. I hate working them out, and I especially hate squats. Am I the only one who gets, literally, nauseated by them?

I think that the guy in the 3rd picture looks great.

Last edited:

Rocky14441

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Arnold Shwarzenegger was once asked by an interviewer: "what would it take for me to look like you?" Shwarzenegger looked the guy up and down and said "three genenerations"
Bless you for your ectomorph build, I have one, too. You can look like the guy in the middle photo, all it takes is three hours a day, four days a week in the gym. meanwhile, don't go nuts, keep the fat off, works on your abs, get a good book on healthy routines, and know that a lot of people are turned off by that muscled hunk, myself included.I have a great body, spent a lot of time in the gym but didn't kill myslef doing it.

Last edited:

Primal_Savage

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
About 2 decades ago and on a college varsity swim team, I was about 1/2 the man I am today. Tho I had broad shoulders which I attributed to hrs of practice (fly and breast), I was lean and almost on the skinny side. To get to the point where I am today has taken considerable commitment, discipline and hard work in addition to proper nutrition which is 40 to 50 % of the game. I could tell you what has worked for me regarding bulking-up, diets, supplements, splits, cardio, etc., however, it may not work for many of you. As a trainer, my primary concern is “to do no harm.” If you want awesome pecs, chest and a V-taper its going to take more than just incline bench presses with low weights. I would suggest that you go to:

Bodybuilding.com - The Future Of Bodybuilding! Huge Bodybuilding Site. and check out Brandon Poe's vids.

You also should read the article on the 13 most common mistakes that teens make with respect to muscle building.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/13_teen_muscle_building_mistakes.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: Davis25

Primal_Savage

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My post above was somewhat in haste last night during halftime of the Valero Alamo Bowl. Had to get back and watch my bois defeat Northwestern. Way to go, Tigers. What I failed to mention was that at 18, I weighed 168 lbs. versus my 215-225 today. Haven't grown an inch in height. So yes, it's possible to live your dream. Balancing and keeping track of your proteins/carbs and calories along with hard (not namby-pamby)weight resistance training is very important. Want change? Then set your goals and stick to your guns (not intended as a pun regarding biceps).

D_Mainssworthe Maleorgan

Account Disabled
Media
Everybody's skeleton and muscle shapes are different. There are some otherwise skinny guys with prominent pecs.

That's my case, actually. I have a natural swimmer's build because of my metabolism, but, my chest muscles are defined enough that you can see them through my shirts.

It was always that way, as far as I can remember. But, I do work them out quite often to make sure it stays that way.

Cowabanga

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Nice Photo Primal_savage!

I am also a personal trainer and Tai Chi instructor, very nice link you put up, and I will use it. I like the teenager common mistake article. I am back to bodybuilding routine. I had a double kidney operation and left with only 75% of one kidney, and I can still gain back muscle I have lost. I have to monitor my intake of protien, but what I found by reducing protien, was that I was still able to build. Don't be afraid to eat carb, but basically eat plenty of complex vegetable carb and fruits and stay away from sugar, and animale fats whenever possible. Vegetable fat such as nuts and guacumole have many of the essential for bulding muscles and upping your natural testosterone.

One of my favorite cook book for bodybuilder is written bt Mandy Tanning "muscular Gormet" this book is great for preparing great food without spending all your time in the kitchen. After awhile you'll become enthuse about being a great cook for your partner. The ability to cook does rank high in attracting your mate and pleasing them, and almost everyone want to eat good and stay lean.

I have to say that to get the body that Primal had was dedication and hard work. Once you get the body you are happy with, maintianing it is not as hard. It's not going to happen in 3 month to look like Primal. All those magazine with beef cake bodybuilder took many years to get where they are. Once they reach that level they'll be thrilled if they can gain another 3-5 pound of muscle per year. Bodybuilding is like riding a bike, if you start out shifting into high gear uphill you'll fall, but if you start with easy low gears until the bike build acceleration, then gradually shift to the closet next higher gear one at a time over gradual period you'll get the bike moving. So it is with bodybuilding.

Last edited: