Is It Code? Or Is It Just Privacy?

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Possibly.
I've had to do death notifications, go over medical examiner reports, and even had to see a few people die up close & read what was announced about the situation later.
Freak medical situations, drug overdose, undisclosed ailment/disease the family doesn't want public, and sometimes people's bodies just decide it's time to check out.
Overall, an obituary is a legally required step. And, it can be painful for those left behind to share the reason.
It could also be fear of some sort of stigma attached to the cause that makes them keep it to a minimum. (Drugs, AIDS, suicide, etc).

MisterVIP

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Possibly.
I've had to do death notifications, go over medical examiner reports, and even had to see a few people die up close & read what was announced about the situation later.
Freak medical situations, drug overdose, undisclosed ailment/disease the family doesn't want public, and sometimes people's bodies just decide it's time to check out.
Overall, an obituary is a legally required step. And, it can be painful for those left behind to share the reason.
It could also be fear of some sort of stigma attached to the cause that makes them keep it to a minimum. (Drugs, AIDS, suicide, etc).

I thought about a friend I haven't talked to in years, did a web search and obituary was the first thing that came up. And it was recent. It just seems surreal. From what I knew, he was healthy, never did drugs, drank occasionally but never abused alcohol.

Almost 20 years ago, another friend committed suicide, but his family was open about it. In fact, they personally contacted everyone they knew that he knew to inform them of what happened to him, in detail.

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Sometimes it's unknown. A high school classmate shot himself but no one had any clue whether it was suicide or accidental. He loved to party and had drugs and alcohol in his system at the time. He seemed like too much of a fun hog to kill himself but was rebellious, pulling poor grades and often in trouble at school and home. No note was left but that's usually the case with suicide.

His obit said "he passed away suddenly."