Is it ethical for wealthy people to adopt children from poorer nations?

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's encouraging. Savvy contacts in social services are a valuable resource.

Curiously enough, my wife and I got our best advice and the most honesty from the State of Oregon social services workers we dealt with. Yup, those underpaid and overworked state employees served as our best friends through the process. They didn't try to sugarcoat situations or mislead us. They didn't push hidden agendas or charge fees-for-service.

They just helped get kids adopted.

This has been my experience as well. My son is autistic so he's been in the state system since he was a toddler getting various services, being followed by a caseworker, etc. People within that department also work with the adoption and foster system, and they have recommended agencies they like, etc.

I, too, have been very impressed with both the state system and the public school system in my area in terms of dealing with children with special needs. As you say, it's the overworked, underfunded, and underpaid that we've had the most success with. Private insurance/schools/etc. not so much.

Thanks. For all my gripes, it did end successfully for us. Its just that my heart still goes out to those who the system ran roughshod over.

One of the reasons we're waiting is because I am absolutely not ready to deal with all the bureaucracy and hassle right now. Through my son's therapy I've met a lot of parents with adopted children who have had similar stories about domestic adoption and eventually went foreign. On the other hand, I've met these parents because of the developmental issues that a lot of foreign adoptees seem to have. With that said, I am pretty good at navigating the system for services now, so it might not be all that bad.

I'm so glad it worked out for you in the end. I wish it were an easier system.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Through my son's therapy I've met a lot of parents with adopted children who have had similar stories about domestic adoption and eventually went foreign. On the other hand, I've met these parents because of the developmental issues that a lot of foreign adoptees seem to have.

Yah, you've put your finger on the difference between foreign and domestic adoption.

In foreign adoption, one pays tens of thousands of dollars and jumps through many bureaucratic hoops. But in the end, a baby will very likely be put in your arms.

In domestic adoption, one might pay tens of thousands of dollars and jump through many bureaucratic hoops. Despite this, in the end, one never knows whether a child will actually arrive. For some parents a child never does and that seems like a raw deal to me.

Last edited:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Is it ethical for families from wealthy nations to adopt children from poorer countries?

Yes, in that I don't believe it's intrinsically unethical. But, it depends entirely on the circumstances of each 'case' and, above all, what's best for child's long term future.

In essence, I don't believe there's a yes or no answer to your question.

However, I do believe that the cynical exploitation by many of the organisations involved in adoption is reprehensible, even if entirely predictable.

Last edited:

SensualGoth

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I find it disgusting that Rich or famous people adopt from other countries. They are upseting the natural evolution for one and for two they are throwing it in the faces of all the poor and unwanted from whatever Country they reside in.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I find it disgusting that Rich or famous people adopt from other countries. They are upseting the natural evolution for one and for two they are throwing it in the faces of all the poor and unwanted from whatever Country they reside in.[/QUOTE] :261: It's late and I'm tired; but I'm pretty sure what you said makes no sense. :confused: Madonna adopting an African child or two does not upset natural evolution! :rolleyes: :duh: I'm pretty sure the American children in foster care know how difficult and unlikely adoption is. I doubt very seriously they give a 2nd thought to the actions of Madonna, Angelina Jolie, or Mia Farrow.:cool: