is it ethical to ban food stamp recipients from using it to buy soda?

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Is it Ethical to Ban Food Stamp Users From Buying Soda? | The Atlantic Wire

i believe it's totally fine to ban food stamp recipients from using their food stamps from buying soda. i work for walgreens (as man of the older posters here know) and i see it constantly. people use their food stamps to buy shit food.

imo, they should only be allowed to buy healthy foods with their stamps. what pisses me off the most, however, are the peoples you see with nice cars and jewelry, yet they're on food stamps and medicaid. but i digress.

so, how do you guys feel about this?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think that prohibiting using food stamps for purchasing liquor and cigarettes is one thing... but now soft drinks? Sorry it smells like fascism to me.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
In answer to the question regarding food stamps: it makes complete sense to me to put restrictions on what can be purchased with them, and it's already being done.

I'm not gonna touch the second bit about needing to parade one's poverty and infirmity before others in order to means-test disability or Medicare. Whether or not you happen to judge them episodically capable or affluent is completely irrelevant.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
i think food stamps should be used to buy healthy foods, not junk. i'm not barring peoples from buying soda. if they want soda, they can buy it with their own money, not the money they receive from the taxes i pay.

i'm an extremely liberal person, but i'm sorry; if you're on food stamps, you shouldn't be allowed to use them to buy shit like soda and candy

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If you read the article they want to ban if for health reasons because of obesity, so can you still buy diet soda? People will just buy Coolaid mix and add sugar. Healthy, fresh food is more expensive than junk with preservatives that won't go bad. There is a plan called WIC where they only allow you to buy certain food items.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think banning people from purchasing soda with food stamps is downright silly and not a good idea at all.

Yes, why indeed?

The use of public assistance should be limited to staples and necessities. It should have always been that way.

Sugary snacks and sodas (diet and not) have practically zero nutritional value.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Is it Ethical to Ban Food Stamp Users From Buying Soda? | The Atlantic Wire

i believe it's totally fine to ban food stamp recipients from using their food stamps from buying soda. i work for walgreens (as man of the older posters here know) and i see it constantly. people use their food stamps to buy shit food.

imo, they should only be allowed to buy healthy foods with their stamps. what pisses me off the most, however, are the peoples you see with nice cars and jewelry, yet they're on food stamps and medicaid. but i digress.

so, how do you guys feel about this?
It's a way to further curtail your riights and freedoms. Next it will be meat products because it has fats and pasta and bread and whatever else they decide.

As far as the recipients with jewelry and cars, they may have had the items ahead of landing in public assistance or they might have been gifts given them.

If you read the article they want to ban if for health reasons because of obesity, so can you still buy diet soda? People will just buy Coolaid mix and add sugar. Healthy, fresh food is more expensive than junk with preservatives that won't go bad. There is a plan called WIC where they only allow you to buy certain food items.
Meanwhile, several fast food places accept food stamps. Yes, a Big Mac, large fries and a shake can be purchased with the Food Stamp/card allotment. Is that any healthier than the soda?

Adults are aware that there are health risks, the government should educate us, post fat and calorie info and leave it at that.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
People use food stamps to buy soda? That is some of the most ridiculous shit I've ever heard. Tax payer money funds these food stamps so that the impoverished can nourish themselves. Not rot their teeth and get fat. Why should other people have to pay for that?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Meanwhile, several fast food places accept food stamps. Yes, a Big Mac, large fries and a shake can be purchased with the Food Stamp/card allotment. Is that any healthier than the soda?

I've never heard of such a thing. From what I understand you can't use them for most prepared foods even in a supermarket such as the fresh roast chickens or subs that they sell. Some private small places may accept them illegally for prepared foods, but it's not the norm. People used to sell the paper food stamps to buy beer or drugs and now it's harder with electronic cards, but I bet it's still done. There is no place where you can legally buy a Big Mac with foodstamps.

Last edited:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
People use food stamps to buy soda? That is some of the most ridiculous shit I've ever heard. Tax payer money funds these food stamps so that the impoverished can nourish themselves. Not rot their teeth and get fat. Why should other people have to pay for that?

There are no restrictions on packaged foods, you can spend your whole allotment on candies, ice cream and cookies.

They should investigate to make sure people are spending at least 75% of it on real nutritious food.

Last edited:

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I've never heard of such a thing. From what I understand you can't use them for most prepared foods even in a supermarket such as the fresh roast chickens or subs that they sell. Some private small places may accept them illegally for prepared foods, but it's not the norm. People used to sell the paper food stamps to buy beer or drugs and now it's harder with electronic cards, but I bet it's still done.
It isn't in all states if I remember it right.

A google search with "fast food restaurants accepting food stamps brings up several hits. Add McDonald's and see add. results.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It isn't in all states if I remember it right.

A google search with "fast food restaurants accepting food stamps brings up several hits. Add McDonald's and see add. results.

You are right. They set if up to help the homeless and people who can't cook for themselves.

Penis Aficionado

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I think that prohibiting using food stamps for purchasing liquor and cigarettes is one thing... but now soft drinks? Sorry it smells like fascism to me.

I think people are moving in the direction of considering sodas and other junk foods in the same category with booze and cigarettes. Sugar, salt and fat, in concentrated amounts, are very addictive (although in a different way, biochemically, than alcohol, nicotine, cocaine, etc.).

Philosophically I dislike the idea of telling people what they can buy with their food stamps -- if I were in charge, I would probably just give the poor actual money and let them make their own decisions.

But when parents are feeding shit to their kids, that's a different situation.

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
WIC...is Women, Infants and Children and is restricted... or at least it used to be. Cheese, juice, milk, eggs, beans and few other things.

What makes me mad as hell is an unemployed person can get more food stamp moneys than a person who is working but still below the poverty line. That makes no sense to me whatsoever. Let the person who is at least trying have more money... not the other way around. I also believe that you shouldn't be able to get food stamps for more than one year and must prove that you have been trying to get employed... I hate fucking freeloaders.:mad:

Each state can add to the list by they can not take away from... in Illinois you can get energy drinks... wth?!?

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
It's a way to further curtail your riights and freedoms. Next it will be meat products because it has fats and pasta and bread and whatever else they decide.

i'm not saying that they have no right to buy soda. i'm just saying that they shouldn't be allowed to with their food stamps. no one is taking away their choice.

As far as the recipients with jewelry and cars, they may have had the items ahead of landing in public assistance or they might have been gifts given them.

i work in the hood, and i'm sorry to say, but you're wrong. it's assholes that abuse the system that do this shit.

i don't want to believe that's true. that is fucking horrible :frown1:

Philosophically I dislike the idea of telling people what they can buy with their food stamps -- if I were in charge, I would probably just give the poor actual money and let them make their own decisions.

i agree with not liking the idea of telling people what they can and cannot buy with their own money. but this is tax payer money. they should only be allowed to buy the necessities.

Yes, let's take away the dignity of choice from the poor.

It's not like the fuckers deserve it - making us all feel bad by being poor and needing help. Bastards.

:no:

again, i'm not taking away their choice of buying soda. i'm just saying that, using government money, they should only be allowed to buy healthy foods and drinks.

What makes me mad as hell is an unemployed person can get more food stamp moneys than a person who is working but still below the poverty line. That makes no sense to me whatsoever. Let the person who is at least trying have more money... not the other way around. I also believe that you shouldn't be able to get food stamps for more than one year and must prove that you have been trying to get employed... I hate fucking freeloaders.:mad:

i so totally agree with this. we seriously need to revamp out programs in this country