is it ethical to ban food stamp recipients from using it to buy soda?

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you're the one that issued the game then you make the rules. It seems to me that food stamps were meant to buy food. Tho when is our mayor going to start telling folks they can't buy Mac and Cheese? Or food stamps are only good for one-ply toilet paper instead of two=ply?

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
If we give our consent for the government to get more restrictive with food stamp purchasing power, then I think it's only fair that the government presses equally hard about crappy food across all categories. For instance, if we're prepared to take soda off the table, then maybe we need to look at all the processed stuff that passes off as "food." Walk up and down the frozen foods aisle for starters and peek at any of the packaging. How much of that food is really just fillers of chemical ingredients we can't pronounce?
Or how about all of the "juice" products that list high fructose corn syrup as one of the primary ingredients? Are we willing to villify other stuff than soda?

I don't have a fair dog in that particular fight, so I'll just add this. I like that in some states you can use an EBT card at a farmer's market where you can actually get locally grown, fresh, and sometimes organic fruits and vegetables for what you would pay for frozen and canned. I would also support reinvesting more into consumer education about healthy food choices. Instead of just plastering the food pyramid everywhere, parents can learn practical strategies for making healthy foods that are still quick to fix and easy to store.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
first off, hey dee! long time no see!

as for the matter at hand...i agree that we should restrict more than just soda. especially alleged juice drinks that list their main ingredient as high fructose corn syrup (or, as the high fructose corn syrup lobbyist assholes want to rename it "corn sugar"). i, as well, like that in some states a person can go into their local farmer's market and buy fresh food. it's not only better for you than stuff they pack and ship from other states and countries, but it also supports local economy. imo, we all should buy our fruits and veggies from farmer's markets.

our country needs to be re-educated. the food pyramid is a joke, and is propagated by lobbyists. imo, new parents should be forced to take classes on basic nutrition. hell, i think we all should be forced to take classes on basic nutrition, and not that garbage they teach you in junior high and high school health class

Penis Aficionado

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
as for the matter at hand...i agree that we should restrict more than just soda.

Should wealthy parents be allowed to feed their children massive amounts of soda and processed food?

I think you make a sound argument but food stamps are really irrelevant to it.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Should wealthy parents be allowed to feed their children massive amounts of soda and processed food?

I think you make a sound argument but food stamps are really irrelevant to it.

hell no. but that's not what this thread is about. the thread is about regulating food stamps. but no, i do not think wealthy parents should just toss soda and other shitty "foods" at their kids.

food stamps are 100% relevant to what i'm saying

big_tits4big_dicks

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think you guys assume way to much. Restrict what people can get on food stamps, I can kinda see your point. But it sounds like you want to make it hard core, like only health food you make yourself. That is how I like to eat, I make it in my kitchen. You know how many people live in a place that does not have that? A kitchen, a stove? A lot where I'm from. I kinda hate the idea that it can be used at fast food joints, but you got to eat when you are on break from work. What we really need to do is start teaching the kids more in school, I mean high school, how to live. Because there are a lot of people that don't know how to do that healthily. Also, don't assume that every person that buys a pepsi with food stamps drinks only that and eats fast food and never cooks. Some might just want to have a freakin pepsi once in a while.

Penis Aficionado

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
hell no. but that's not what this thread is about. the thread is about regulating food stamps. but no, i do not think wealthy parents should just toss soda and other shitty "foods" at their kids.

food stamps are 100% relevant to what i'm saying

Here's my point: In arguing for health-based restrictions on food stamps, you make an equally valid argument for state and/or federal laws to protect children from their parents' bad food-buying decisions.

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
Is this really that big a deal? Do people honestly have so little to worry about that they want to concern themselves with what people are buying with food stamps?

This is a total non issue. Let them drink soda if they want.

Channelwood

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A program that gives away free food considers restrictions on what free food it wants to distribute?

Is it ethical? Of course it is. Why would it not be? What part of it is unethical? In fact, no one has yet brought up any argument that addresses ethics.

Should attempts be made to micromanage the existing program this way to enforce good nutrition, and will those attempts be effective? Different question. The answer is "yeah, in a perfect world it would be nice, but it won't."

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think it's wrong to prohibit what items of general groceries can be purchased with food stamps. We don't have this system in the UK however I know of people who have used this facility in the US. My biggest concern is where is the line drawn between what is unhealthy and healthy - if an item is borderline unhealthy then which side of the line does it fall? Also, a good point was raised - what about diet drinks? I don't think any one should police what general food stuffs you can and cannot eat.

Taxes get used in so many various outlets is it really so awful that someone who has very little buys a bottle of Dr. Pepper? Thinking of all the seemingly pointless areas where you taxes are distributed in the grand scheme of things I personally don't think it's a big issue. Just leave them be.

Penis Aficionado

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Taxes get used in so many various outlets is it really so awful that someone who has very little buys a bottle of Dr. Pepper? Thinking of all the seemingly pointless areas where you taxes are distributed in the grand scheme of things I personally don't think it's a big issue.

I agree. It's unclear to me where the objection is coming from. Why do taxpaying Americans care whether a food stamp recipient spends $1 in public funds on a Dr. Pepper or spends that same $1 on a pint of milk? Because they care so deeply about the health of food stamp recipients? I find that hard to believe. If that were the case, it seems to me they would advocate for more generous public assistance, rather than nitpick over how $200 per month gets spent.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Of course... just blame it on the poor people. Such an overly simplistic and highly narrow-minded premise. Just force them to buy "healthier foods", while the industry continues to make it harder and harder for people to afford the healthier choices to begin with. Case in point, ever compare the price of a two liter soda and a half gallon of orange juice? Ever compare the prices of organic foods from a Farmer's Market versus the processed foods in a nearby supermarket? Could the average person do all of this for their entire family and make sure that they are taken care of on a benefit that amounts to roughly $600 a month?

Also would this idea apply to diet sodas as well? I mean, that is technically a healthier choice. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm a single parent who has been on food stamps and who also has a soda addiction. Having said that, I think banning people from buying soda with food stamps is a great idea. The WIC program only allows healthy foods, food stamps should as well. A large portion of the poverty-stricken population in this country suffers from weight issues because the foods they have access too are horrible. I think that if the government and tax payers are going to be offering to support a person and/or their family, they should do it in the healthiest way possible. Give them what they NEED, not what they want. Shit, the healthcare offered from states in this country is horrible... so what, we give them shitty medical insurance then allow them to eat whatever they want? That causes problems. lol. Soda has absolutely NO nutritional value whatsoever. If they want it, they can spend a couple bucks of their own cash to get it. No reason the government should be providing it for them.

*Edit* In response to some other comments on here, diet soda doesn't offer any nutritional value either, so no... it's just as bad! Less caloric content, but can still cause weight gain and/or slow weight loss.

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I second what she said.

Food stamps/WIC are emergency FOOD assistance programs. Period.

Now the elephant in the living room question is how much $$$ is 'wasted' on the indigent buying discretionary items with public assistance vs. pork barrel projects that add nothing to a community or over-complicated tax codes that allow people making over 250K a year to pay less in taxes than someone making 25K a year. Hmmmmmmm

Lou Pole

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm a single parent who has been on food stamps and who also has a soda addiction. Having said that, I think banning people from buying soda with food stamps is a great idea. The WIC program only allows healthy foods, food stamps should as well. A large portion of the poverty-stricken population in this country suffers from weight issues because the foods they have access too are horrible. I think that if the government and tax payers are going to be offering to support a person and/or their family, they should do it in the healthiest way possible. Give them what they NEED, not what they want. Shit, the healthcare offered from states in this country is horrible... so what, we give them shitty medical insurance then allow them to eat whatever they want? That causes problems. lol. Soda has absolutely NO nutritional value whatsoever. If they want it, they can spend a couple bucks of their own cash to get it. No reason the government should be providing it for them.

*Edit* In response to some other comments on here, diet soda doesn't offer any nutritional value either, so no... it's just as bad! Less caloric content, but can still cause weight gain and/or slow weight loss.

I really like and appreciate this post -- thanks for making it.

Why is it improper to put restrictions on government assistance for health purposes? Soda is the easy target -- there is no nutritional value. At least something like Easy Mac has some nutritional value, even if it is a poor choice.

The givernment has removed soda machines from schools all across the country -- restricting soda purchases from Food Stamps is just an extension of this.

Of course, education about nutrition and how to stretch your budget to buy healthier foods would be key and the nest long-term strategy, but we've been unwilling to implement those suggestions for a very long time.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm a single parent who has been on food stamps and who also has a soda addiction. Having said that, I think banning people from buying soda with food stamps is a great idea. The WIC program only allows healthy foods, food stamps should as well. A large portion of the poverty-stricken population in this country suffers from weight issues because the foods they have access too are horrible. I think that if the government and tax payers are going to be offering to support a person and/or their family, they should do it in the healthiest way possible. Give them what they NEED, not what they want.

And what they need are affordable options. Being that I was raised by a single parent who had to go on food stamps to raise six children when my father passed away, I know first hand what it's like to live on such assistance. Eliminating soda from the list of items one can purchase on food stamps does nothing to address the real issues surrounding obesity in poverty stricken areas. It only adds additional and completely unnecessary regulation that will cost more money to enforce.

Anything can be bad if you don't allow time for proper exercise to compensate for the food and drinks you consume. I know plenty of people who join weight loss programs and get on their calorie specific food programs, only for some to actually gain weight instead of lose it. The fact that diet soda has less caloric content does indicate that in some ways is a better choice than other drinks. Of course, nobody would ever suggest a diet where you would only drink soda. It may not be the best choice, however, if the issue is to lose weight then perhaps there is a benefit for grabbing a Diet Coke over a Gatorade if those are your only options to choose from?

Keep in mind, I'm not the biggest fan of soda either. But I know this idea won't do a thing but make some disgruntled taxpayers feel more righteous for their own mistakes by telling others how to live their lives. Stricter FDA regulations for food sold in supermarkets, more immediate access to farmer's markets, more awareness & education on nutrition, plus addressing issues surrounding exercise by providing better choices for physical education & after school activities will do a lot more to solve problems surrounding obesity. Telling them that they can't drink a Pepsi because they're poor will not.

Last edited: