Is it Illegal to knowingly spread HIV?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No! There is WAY too much prejudice against HIV+ people. They have a hard time as it is being treated like people. What's next? Putting them in concentration camps? Let's get a database of EVERYONE with an incurable disease. Let's have photos of outbreaks and leasions and all that jazz too.

SiamGuy said:
Do you think they should have a infected database like they do of sexual offenders? Shouldn't you be allowed to find out if they move into your neighborhood?

I'm not saying I'm against or for any of it. Just something to think about :confused:

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Thedrewbert said:
isn't there a "morning after" pill for HIV also?

If you know you just got fucked by a guy who is HIV+ and he came in you, I think there is a 72 hour window do get an ultra high dose of the morning after "cocktail" to prevent the infection. The side effects are quite unpleasent, but it's better than the alternative.
This is "prophylaxis", and it's awful. On top of the mental stress, the meds take quite a toll, depending on which are used and for how long.

I don't believe I'm doing this, but here it goes...
On a break from the GF, I hooked up with a trick that I'd been chatting with for months. While after over 6 months of chatting, we knew a lot about each other, I can't say we KNEW each other. So, when he came, pulled out, and the rubber full of cum was still inside me, I freaked out, even though he said he was neg. I called my Dr., who's one of the leading experts on HIV, and served as Pres. Clinton's advisor on the subject. He told me an emergency room to go to, and he'd let them know I was on my way in, and what to do. It was about a 3 month ordeal. It was bad enough that I didn't want sex for over a year. The meds, then waiting for the meds to clear, then waiting to see if after the meds cleared, did the virus "take", then waiting to be tested, then waiting for results. While on the meds, between my mental state, and the actual meds themselves, I was sick, and I mean SICK, every single day. Then, if you want to take the meds the "right" way, and I followed it to the letter, being the uptight freak that I am, your life, especially your eating, revolves around your doses. Long story shortened, it's NOT something that I want to ever repeat, and it's definitely not something that I want to do for the rest of my life, and I know people say that your body adapts to the meds, but I don't want to find out. In any case, it's NOT the "oh, it's just two pills a day" picnic that a frightening number of younger guys seems to think that it is. And I'm not even going to go into the fact that over 10% of the new cases aren't responding well, and sometimes not at all to the meds.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Lex said:
Novice--it took a lot of balls to share that very personal story. Thank you. That was very enlightening (and horrifying at the same time).
Welp, maybe now you see why I get so pissy when people don't believe that the majority of my whorishness is confined to being online. :wink:

And thanks, yeah, I'm still debating in my remaining minutes of my hour-to-edit time frame, if I should leave it up.

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
novice_btm said:
First, it's been shown that ironically, the use of multiple condoms at once can actually be more prone to breakage than a single condom. Something about increased friction, and a latex-on-latex reaction

Bears repeating.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
novice_btm said:

And thanks, yeah, I'm still debating in my remaining minutes of my hour-to-edit time frame, if I should leave it up.

If your first hand experience helps deter the thoughts of bareback sex of one younger person who thinks HIV is a disease to be managed and no longer a death sentence from, then I say it was/is worth leaving up.

Your call. It was powerful for me to read.

jfrsndvs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I was just about to post the same thing, but you beat me to it Lex.

I for one want to say thanks to Novice for having the courage to share that story with us, I can only imagine the hell that you went through during that time.

how long ago was this? and how are things now?

Lex said:
Novice--it took a lot of balls to share that very personal story. Thank you. That was very enlightening (and horrifying at the same time).

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Arrrrg! Have you two been taking guilt lessons from my mother? :tongue:

Been a few years now, and I'm totally fine, although I still have complete breakdowns when I get tested. Even though I'm sure that I'll be fine, but I always panic until after my results come back OK.

Alright, I guess it stays, and I'm going out, so that I won't over-think all this and delete it before the edit time expires.

jfrsndvs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
hottxboi16, you just provided a perfect example of why barebacking is such a bad idea.

to many people especially the younger ones thinks that it's now ok to bareback due to the number of meds out there, and all the advertising out there saying that having HIV is not a death sentence anymore.

too many people out there think that it's too much of a inconvience to use a condom, or they just don't like the feel of a condom. I say Bullshit, putting a condom on can be part of foreplay, and as far as how a condom feels, to me, the feeling of a condom on can mean a small sense of security.

I know of a couple that lives near my home town, they had always used condoms until their 6 month anniversary, and they thought that it would be fun just one time to bareback and feel the cum inside, the top guy was HIV+ and didn't know it, he infected his partner, now both men are infected with HIV, the top guy felt horrible for what he had done to his partner, the bottom guy however, was forgiving and accepted his part of the responsibility of his actions, both are on medication now, and are still together after 4 years of infection.

when it comes to those who only bareback, they have this attitude that it's their life and if they get infected, oh well, it's their life anyways. what the fuck about the other guy? I myself won't take that chance with barebacking, no way no how. and too many tops out there, think that since they are the top that they are at a low risk, that is completely false, a top can come into contact just as easily as the bottom guy, that small piece of rubber can sure do a lot to prevent HIV infection as well as other STD's.

hottxboi16 said:
So the story goes....

I have a friend who was recently in a sexual engagement with someone who did not tell them they had HIV and had bareback sex. He eventually came inside him after instructed not to and they got into a fight and he kicked the infected fellow out and as he left he said "Oh and by the way, I have HIV"

few months later the other person became infected.

I know its probably one of the most horrible stories ive ever heard, and its sickening to think people like that are even walking this earth but yeah so my question is, are there any laws or statutes regarding the transmission of knowingly spreading HIV or other STDS in TEXAS....

I have tried searching for this myself and have seen some things in other states but i couldnt find anything very specific in texas. SO if you could help or have any knowledge of the situation I would appreciate any response. Thanks

BarebackJack

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Heather LouAnna said:
I don't think it has anything to do with state. Federal laws oversee all in the US and knowingly spreading a fatal disease IS illegal. I think that'd apply to any country.

Once again this is something that falls into my area of research. As I understand it, transmission of sexual diseases is the legal concern of the individual states. Here's a snippet from a column I wrote on the subject:

"...In states like California, it is a crime to pass along HIV or any other venereal disease. The penalty for committing the crime of "gift-giving" [transmitting HIV intentionally] varies from state to state, and the person who you attempted to "gift" doesn't always have to be infected for it to be considered a crime. For instance, in Iowa, heart of America's farmland, if you know you are HIV+Positive and you have unprotected sex with an individual, you can be arrested and tried solely on intent to pass along a deadly disease. The recipient of your charged load doesn't even have to sero-convert for you to go to jail..."

There was a website that listed the penal code for HIV transmission, state by state, but apparently it has disappeared. Personally I think infecting another person ***whether or not they claim to want to be infected*** should be a crime punishable in every state, but *not* a federal crime (we DO need to keep the feds out of our bedrooms, after all... repeat after me: smaller government).

If you would like to read the entire column, it is here: http://www.barebackjack.com/perspective/archive/perspective0405.html

And I should point out that while I am an advocate for barebacking, I am also an advocate only for responsible barebacking, sero-sorting, and honest disclosure, and I have no tolerance for people who behave in the manner of the person in the original poster's story. I work very hard to encourage those who are HIV+Positive to be better people than the ones who infected them, and I am steadfast against intentional acts of infection, or "gift-giving" as was referenced above. If you are single or in an open relationship, always consider using condoms with people you do not know or trust. Do your best to limit your sexual encounters to persons of the same HIV status. And remember, you are responsible for anything you let go up your ass!

BBJ
(note: the link above displays improperly, but clicking on it will take you to the proper page)

D_Adoniah Sheervolume

Account Disabled
Media
i'll join novice_btm in relaying personal knowledge that prophylaxis treatment is MISERABLE.

in 2003 i was the receptive partner in unprotected sex. there was no cumming inside, but still i freaked and called my doctor, who has a significant HIV practice. he said the time window for treatment was 48 hours, (not 72)--well, i was there within 2.

what followed was one month of progressively worse hell. i felt more and more drained and generally awful as the drugs had their affect on my body. it was such a relief to get through the treatment, but then the waiting ensued. fortunately, like novice, everything turned out alright--i was, and remain, negative. i still have the bottle those meds came in, to remind me of the ordeal.

a friend of mine wasn't so lucky. an exclusive top, he had sex a few months ago with someone who said he was negative. last week my friend heard rumour otherwise and (unfortunately AFTER submitting blood for insurance purposes) got a quick test at his town's testing center, where he found out he is now poz...

novice_btm said:
This is "prophylaxis", and it's awful. On top of the mental stress, the meds take quite a toll, depending on which are used and for how long.

On a break from the GF, I hooked up with a trick that I'd been chatting with for months. While after over 6 months of chatting, we knew a lot about each other, I can't say we KNEW each other. So, when he came, pulled out, and the rubber full of cum was still inside me, I freaked out, even though he said he was neg. I called my Dr., who's one of the leading experts on HIV, and served as Pres. Clinton's advisor on the subject. He told me an emergency room to go to, and he'd let them know I was on my way in, and what to do. It was about a 3 month ordeal. It was bad enough that I didn't want sex for over a year. The meds, then waiting for the meds to clear, then waiting to see if after the meds cleared, did the virus "take", then waiting to be tested, then waiting for results. While on the meds, between my mental state, and the actual meds themselves, I was sick, and I mean SICK, every single day. Then, if you want to take the meds the "right" way, and I followed it to the letter, being the uptight freak that I am, your life, especially your eating, revolves around your doses. Long story shortened, it's NOT something that I want to ever repeat, and it's definitely not something that I want to do for the rest of my life, and I know people say that your body adapts to the meds, but I don't want to find out. In any case, it's NOT the "oh, it's just two pills a day" picnic that a frightening number of younger guys seems to think that it is. And I'm not even going to go into the fact that over 10% of the new cases aren't responding well, and sometimes not at all to the meds.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
wowniceone said:
i'll join novice_btm in relaying personal knowledge that prophylaxis treatment is MISERABLE...
Hey,
Thanks for joining in. I think it's important that people (especially younger guys, who seem to be woefully uninformed on this issue) know that it's not the happy mountain-climbing, parasailing, blissful experience that all the drug ads try to make it out to be. It's a constantly nauseous, no relief from the fatigue, guts gurgling and churning (I'm skipping the part about the nagging feeling of the uncertainty about being able to hold them in), nightmare.

So there you have it folks... yes, there IS a morning after option, but I think we've shown, you don't want to be in the position to need it.

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
my two cents on this topic...

if you know you are positive, AND you tell your partner that you are negative, then go for glory with no protection, you should be shot. sorry, that's how i feel. the bottom should be smart enough to say "no way", but stuff happens. DON'T LIE.

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
My respect quotient for you just escalated about fifty notches (and you know the high regard I already held for you). Posting this awful experience probably wasn't too pleasant -- dragging up those bad memories, exposing your vulnerability, etc. -- but for me it was extemely informative (I didn't even know of such a prophylactic treatment) and for gay men, a valuable cautionary tale. I am constantly amazed at the candor and bravery of some posters here. John

novice_btm said:

xlator_8

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I would have thought otherwise, but it is a fallacy to think that a "total top" is not at risk when barebacking. I was a bit startled to read the following:

New information has made it no longer true that a negative top f***king a positive bottom is at minor risk. Recent studies have demostrated that rectal secretions are much more charged with HIV in infected men, than are either blood or semen. This means that HIV-Negative tops are at a much greater risk of contracting the virus than was believed before, even if they perform exclusively as tops. Furthermore, tops with foreskin have an even greater risk of contracting HIV because of certain cells in their foreskin that allow the HIV virus to attach. Thus, containment has become an imperative for HIV-Negative men, and in fact all barebackers, to begin practicing more than ever.

This information from:
http://www.barebackhealth.net/health.html
then click "sex" and then "reason for containment".

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
COLJohn said:
My respect quotient for you just escalated about fifty notches (and you know the high regard I already held for you). Posting this awful experience probably wasn't too pleasant -- dragging up those bad memories, exposing your vulnerability, etc. -- but for me it was extemely informative (I didn't even know of such a prophylactic treatment) and for gay men, a valuable cautionary tale. I am constantly amazed at the candor and bravery of some posters here. John
Well, you can thank Lex and jfrsnxdrsqdls... (HOW do you pronounce that? :tongue: ), for talking me out of deleting it, because as soon as I posted it and re-read it, I almost used the "edit" feature to go in and take it right back down. :redface:

My thanks to you, and all the other guys, for the encouragement, and again, thanks to WOWNICEONE too, for putting up his story.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I know that this is an older thread, but coincidentally, I've been PM'd 3 times (1 supportive, 2 with questions), and then just had a conversation (in real life) about the subject of my "confession" in this thread, and they were all in the past two days. It also happened on the Thanksgiving (American) weekend, so this strange set of things, has brought it to mind again.

The questions, and the conversation were both asking/saying about the same thing, "Was it REALLY that bad? / C'mon, it couldn't have been THAT bad." I also heard, "...but the drugs are better now (mine was only a couple years ago, but whatever)." I can only reiterate, for ME, it was physically horrific, and that doesn't even go into the mental anguish involved. So why risk it? Why gamble? And why do people write and tell me that I'm paranoid about safety? I choose to be SAFE. PERIOD! Again, in my case, I WAS being safe, and accidents do (did) still happen, but I at least entered the situation attempting to be as safe as possible, and I was lucky. I just don't get why anyone would willingly put themselves at risk to have to go through what I did, when it's such an awful experience (and that's pretty well-documented), so easy to avoid, and on top of it all, preach to me that I'm over-reacting to one of the worst events in my life, especially when it's never happened to them. I still wouldn't wish this "lesson" on these idiots, and hope to never hear them say, "You were right / I should've listened."

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Like so many others, Novice, I really appreciate the candor of this thread. For those of us who lived through the period where massive numbers of friends died it is unimaginable that safety could slip now. Far from overreacting, you are recommending what is minimally sensible.

Thanks for reviving this thread. We all need to keep the issues on the table, and (for geezers like me) to remind our younger friends that HIV infection is not a thing of the past.