Is it me or are all conservatives pricks?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rommette, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Rommette

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I was on facebook and came across a senatoris is conservative. I clicked onto his wbsite to see his view on certain topics and boy is this guy nuts. Afew of his ideas are:

-Abolish the Department of Education

-End the Role of the Federal Government in Our Local School Systems (that means no more federal money for our schools systems. I can't help but think that every state in this country is in debt and he wants to reject federal money for our school systems.)

-Drill in ANWR and Outer Continental Shelf (lets kill polar bears so that everyone can think our gas prices are going down. Then again, haven't we been drilling in texas since the 70's? Isn't gas still high?)

Promote Competition and Free Market Solutions to Health Care (Right now the last thing I wanna hear is about anything being free marketed. Next thing we know insurance companies will be asking for a bailout!)

-End Federal Funding for Planned Parenthood (yeah right!)

-Stop Federal Funding and Practice of Destructive Embryonic Stem Cell Research (scientists do tests on unclaimed dead corpses all the time. what's the problem?)

The breakdown of marriage and family is the breakdown of society. Since the social engineering movements of the radical sixties, divorce rates have skyrocketed along with children being born out-of-wedlock. (I'm not sure if he's trying to associate the civil rights movement with out of wedlock kids. Maybe i'm reading too deap.)

-Abolish the IRS (sounds nice but wouldn't the federal government collapse? No money for a military means we'd be prone to invasion.)

Anyway, here's the link to this prick : Travis Hankins for Congress - Conservative Leadership

2. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    no but they all have little dicks

3. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Is it me or are all liberals lazy and on welfare?

[edit: rhetorical response to asinine OP]

4. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

it's you

or rather, your acclimation to, and inability to imagine not having the federal government play a paternalistic role in your life

5. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I know that all conservatives are not pricks. I think the real problem arises when people have their set of beliefs and are not willing to budge one inch to some kind of compromise. There are some issues that people will be conservative about. Others will have more of a liberal ideal to it. But Politics should never be reduced to a simple, "I win, you lose" kind of debate, because in most instances neither side is perfectly in the clear.

Without mentioning any names, my major beefs with a few of my political opponents on this board is how the majority of their arguments seem to be more about image and assumptions than actions. How they're quick to judge without looking into the details of every issue and weighing them against other issues with more or less severity. That's the reason why some people can look at Clinton and say he perjured under oath in office, but ignore the fact that what he was lying about has really no impact on the American Public and their ability to live their lives. That's why some people are quick to talk about the poor and how they need the government to help them live, but would be the first people in line asking for a handout or tax breaks during a recession.

Nothing turns me off more than someone who is intentionally pigheaded and blinded on important issues in life, and that goes beyond politics. When their decisions are based mainly on non-provable source material or coincidences instead of anything really concrete. When their faith and belief reaches such high levels that any concept of physical reality just doesn't matter anymore. When people disguise their real beliefs and opinions through false imagery and repeated forum bullshit. How is anyone going to take you seriously if you're not serious yourself? I'm not suggesting for everyone to air out one’s dirty laundry on the web. But if you want to be taken seriously on a messageboard (regardless of the topic), you have to be willing to be honest about yourself. For most of you, LPSG is the only image we get to see of you. And if your monkier is attached to a long list of asinine, flame-baited statements and insults, then it's only natural for people to treat you in the negative manner you called upon yourself.

That's all... for now.

6. Honey123

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm a conservative dear and I am NOT a prick.

7. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think VinylBoy, that you are talking about what I call 'knee-jerk' conservatives and liberals. We have our fair share of both on this board.

It is a reflection of the polarized nature of politics today. Many people have an idealogical position which they have invested their self in and are too lazy or insecure to move from that position and look at thing from other points of view. No one wants to be wrong or seen as weak. He who controls the agenda, wins. You can see it in the talking heads in the news media, screaming and talking past one another without debating. Lots of people are unable to take off their blinkers and move out of their comfort zone... Liberals and Conservatives alike.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have convections. Just that we need to be adult about them.

8. B_starinvestor

I was preparing to comment on each of these items, but then I looked at your profile picks...and I can't gather my thoughts...dammit.

Anyway, nice pics!

9. houtx48

Gold Member

it's just you Star but don't take it to hard...........lol

10. str8up8x6

str8up8x6 New Member

Albums:
    Yeah, it's you and your lack of knowledge of history. You suggest if we do away with the IRS the country would be prone to invasion without realizing the IRS was formed in 1953 and Federal taxation began after the Civil War. By then the US had fought and won several wars. The Dept. of Education was established in 1980 and US students have fallen behind math and science when compared to earlier times. Your post contains so many ridiculous statements it's tiresome to address them all.

11. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:

No, it's not all of them...but of those who would aspire to public office and those who frequent thematically unrelated internet message boards, there does seem a rather disproportionately high percentage.

12. lipollo

lipollo New Member

First thing, the breakdown of marriage and the family unit has led to the breakdown of society. When you have kids telling their parents at the age of 14 to fuck off and the law offers the parents no avenues to adaquetly punish their kids well there is a problem.

However a far deeper cause has been the shifting economic apparatus which has seen hours of work increase drastically over the last 30 years, with the opening up of Sundays as officially a work day reducing the amount of time people have to create social links and consolidate the family.

I understand that the civil rights movement is especially important considering your african american but I think you are looking way too deep especially if you are trying to say that mixed marriages are the reason for the breakdown of society???

13. Cowabanga

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    There are way more conservatives on welfare than liberals! And the check they recieved from the govt are in trillion!

14. sargon20

Gold Member

The only part of government worth keeping for them is

1.) The military - so we can keep our money and property
    2.) Justice Department - so no one can steal our money

All the rest is a waste.

Totally obsessed with themselves and their own wealth. Ayn Rand and objectivism personified...that man properly lives
    "with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life."

15. B_starinvestor

What's with your hatred toward American businesses? Where do you think the funds come from for all gov't and social services? It ain't fallin outta the sky.

There is a reason we are the most powerful military, economic and political power in the world....a reason that even our lower class lives better than the lower classes of nearly every other country on the globe.

Capitalism. Business.

Where else can a nerdy kid drop out of college, start a software company from a bedroom, and grow that company to ultimately employ 90,000 people? How many social and government programs have been funded by the tax dollars from Microsoft alone? How many families were able to put kids through school, volunteer time and money to philanthropic endeavors,...do you know how much Gates is giving to charity upon his death?

Hmm. Evil, evil business.

16. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Its not you... all conservatives are essentially self interested.

They have a bad case of "every man for himself" and have a marked inability to conceive of a community as an integrated and inter-reliant whole.

They are scientifically proven to be socially timid, controlling, prone to fear, and unable to easily adapt to changing circumstances.

They are, for example, likely to imagine that any success they have experienced was entirely their own doing... and fail to acknowledge the government assistance, parental assistance, or even employee assistance that, without which, they would have never achieved.

By and large, its world view for the selfish.

17. Rommette

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Of course when I say all conservatives i don't literally mean all. All im saying is that getting rid of the department of education doesn't just affect k-12. It affects higher learning. As a college student who pays no out of pocket cost (a $4000 FEDERAL pell grant and the state picks up the rest) I would like to think that the people of this country should be more willing to pay for my education than to take care of some chick living in the projects with her 4 kids picking up a welfare check and food stamps. Not to mention under MD law all kids must have health insurance so there goes those medicare dollars.

Well, Thank you! :rolleyes:

The Department of Education is to formulate federal funding programs involving education and to enforce federal educational laws regarding privacy and civil rights. The federal government spends 56 billion dollars on education.

The following comes from: Brief History of IRS

Origin
    The roots of IRS go back to the Civil War when President Lincoln and Congress, in 1862, created the position of commissioner of Internal Revenue and enacted an income tax to pay war expenses. The income tax was repealed 10 years later. Congress revived the income tax in 1894, but the Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional the following year.
    16th Amendment
    In 1913, Wyoming ratified the 16th Amendment, providing the three-quarter majority of states necessary to amend the Constitution. The 16th Amendment gave Congress the authority to enact an income tax. That same year, the first Form 1040 appeared after Congress levied a 1 percent tax on net personal incomes above $3,000 with a 6 percent surtax on incomes of more than $500,000.
    In 1918, during World War I, the top rate of the income tax rose to 77 percent to help finance the war effort. It dropped sharply in the post-war years, down to 24 percent in 1929, and rose again during the Depression. During World War II, Congress introduced payroll withholding and quarterly tax payments.

Hope this clears some things up

18. B_starinvestor

Self-interest is the greatest interest. If you give to others, for example, you are fulfilling a self-interest. That is, giving to others makes you feel better.

They are self-sufficient instead of dependent upon others.

Fear is the greatest motivator.

Hahaha. Haha. That's ridiculous, Phil. You act as if conservatives are an alien life form.

19. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Rommette, please, be nice. Some of my very best friends are conservatives. Really, they are.

They don't mean to come across that way, although to the untrained eye, they often do, often due to a kind of 'every man for himself' sort of philosophy. Now, that doesn't sound too harsh, does it? :rolleyes:

And, star, it's not so much that Phil's acting as though they're alien life forms as that they are alien forms of life.

#19 B_Nick8, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  20. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    "....conservatives are an alien life form."
    No argument here.
    Dave

Draft saved Draft deleted