Is it me or are all conservatives pricks?

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
sargon: What's really bizarre is that average, financially poor to moderate, conservative folks (from Georgia, say, or Tennessee) -- folks that have almost no connection & no personal interest defending big business (Wal-Mart, Exxon-Mobil, Pfizer, etc) -- are now conditioned to spout the conservative party line about "free markets", even when, demonstably, this line (and corporate interests) goes against their own interests.

It's what happens when rural, under-educated people listen to Rush Limbaugh & Sean Hannity 4 hours a day. They end up voting against their own interests!

Nice post, sparky. Except for you slamming state's right. Like it or not, agree with individual state decisions or not, state's rights are the foundation of our system of government.

EboniGoddess

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The problem is that government is run by lawyers.
All they know is the law and their views and positions are influenced by who they are representing.

Congress - almost all lawyers - make laws about everything - not just business.
Health Care
Environment
Energy Policy
Agriculture
Military Issues
Housing
Banking

they regulate and legislate and talk like they are the foremost experts in all of these fields and they know nothing.
Many of the people I went to college with who became lawyers got poor grades in some subject - such as sciences or math and switched their majors because they were not smart enough to pursue their original career choice.

Contrary to many beliefs only about half of all senators are lawyers. There are teachers, doctors and I believe 1 guy is a vetinarian. There has always been a stereotype that lawyers run the country which isn't true. At 1 point of time lawyers were dominationg congress. Things change. In the early 1900's lawyers basically were congress but this was at a time when most of the country was illiterate. My great grandfather dropped out of school in the 3rd grade to help his parents and that's just how it was. Since you think lawyers running the country is bad because they make laws on things besides buisiness I shall make a list of the types of lawyers below:
indent1.png
Asbestos Lawyer
indent1.png
Assault Lawyer
indent1.png
Auto Accident Lawyer
indent1.png
Bankruptcy Lawyer
indent1.png
Car Accident Lawyer
indent1.png
Compensation Lawyer
indent1.png
Construction Lawyer
indent1.png
Criminal Lawyer
indent1.png
Defense Lawyer
indent1.png
Divorce Lawyer
indent1.png
DUI Lawyer
indent1.png
DWI Lawyer
indent1.png
Employment Lawyer
indent1.png
Fraud Lawyer
indent1.png
Injury Lawyer
indent1.png
Insurance Lawyer
indent1.png
International Lawyer
indent1.png
Litigation Lawyer
indent1.png
Malpractice Lawyer
indent1.png
Medical Malpractice Lawyer
indent1.png
Mesothelioma Lawyer
indent1.png
Nursing Home Lawyer
indent1.png
Patent Lawyer
indent1.png
Personal Injury Lawyer
indent1.png
Securities Lawyer
indent1.png
Social Security Lawyer
indent1.png
Software Lawyer
indent1.png
Tax Lawyer
indent1.png
Traffic Lawyer
indent1.png
Wrongful Death Lawyer

Perhaps you should know that each type of lawyer may have a specialty that combines the knowledge of politics with public interest at heart. In most cases politicians don't read the bills they vote for. There is a committee that reads it and sums up the highlights. Then the senators read the summary of the committee and vote yes or no based on what was written. There is a catagory of lawyer for just about every type of law you mentioned.

Last edited:

EboniGoddess

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A few somewhat random comments.

In a year in which private enterprise has shown itself to be utterly incompetent at managing risk, we still think government is intrinsically bad? Which is better managed the IRS or Lehman Brothers? Or, Ford or NASA?
This last point is important. For example, does anyone believe we would have ended segregation in the US, if it were left up to the states? So, please, let's not talk of 'states rights' that is just a proxy for majority rule over individual rights.

You made a very good point about segregation. When u said that the first thing I thought about was George wallace.

George Wallace was elected governor of Alabama in a landslide victory in November 1962. In his inaugural speech, he used the line for which he is best known:
"In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever."

To stop desegregation by the enrollment of black students Vivian Malone and James Hood, he stood in front of Foster Auditorium at the University of Alabama on June 11, 1963. This became known as the "Stand in the Schoolhouse Door." After being confronted by federal marshals, Deputy Attorney General Nicholas Katzenbach, and the Alabama National Guard, he stood aside.
Wallace again attempted to stop four black students from enrolling in four separate elementary schools in Huntsville in September 1963. After intervention by a federal court in Birmingham, the four children were allowed to enter on September 9, becoming the first to integrate a primary or secondary school in Alabama.
Wallace disapproved vehemently of the desegregation of the state of Alabama and wanted desperately for his state to remain segregated. In his own words: "The President (John F. Kennedy) wants us to surrender this state to Martin Luther King and his group of pro-Communists who have instituted these demonstrations."

Also your talk about private enterprise is true. Federal organizations are not in this mess the senators are trying to fix....its only private enterprise.

D

deleted15807

As Republicans, we must hold fast to the "ideas" that gave us control of all three branches of government:

--That you're either with us or with the terrorists, in which case we will attack you violently;

--That gays must be treated as they were in Nazi Germany;

--That concentration camps are good, as long as you have the right people in them;

--That if there is only a 1% chance that a country wants to attack us we must invade, occupy and convert that sovereign nation to one in our own image;

--That, because the president has the power to destroy the world with nuclear bombs at any time without prior approval, he must, therefore have absolute power and never be questioned by any citizen or branch of government;

--That the vice president is a separate branch of government that can control both the legislative and executive branches, though it is not part of either branch;

--That we must continue to torture under the theory of the "ticking timebomb."

--That regulation of markets is un-American, that looters and criminals should be unimpeded in their wealth-building strategies;

--That religion must be used to control the "useful fools" who support our gambling initiatives and other forms of corruption;

--That living corpses must be maintained on life support under the theory that every human cell is an individual American with the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness;

--That the right to wiretap, eavesdrop, incarcerate, torture and execute without charge or need of warrants shall not be infringed;

--That Freedom isn't Free.

--That all the people can be fooled enough of the time to allow us to do whatever we want

D

deleted15807

sargon: What's really bizarre is that average, financially poor to moderate, conservative folks (from Georgia, say, or Tennessee) -- folks that have almost no connection & no personal interest defending big business (Wal-Mart, Exxon-Mobil, Pfizer, etc) -- are now conditioned to spout the conservative party line about "free markets", even when, demonstably, this line (and corporate interests) goes against their own interests.

It's what happens when rural, under-educated people listen to Rush Limbaugh & Sean Hannity 4 hours a day. They end up voting against their own interests!

Yep. The old saying 'A fool and his money are soon parted'. And this choice bit from The Onion..........
Nation's Poor Win Election For Nation's Rich

Perhaps you should know that each type of lawyer may have a specialty that combines the knowledge of politics with public interest at heart. In most cases politicians don't read the bills they vote for. There is a committee that reads it and sums up the highlights. Then the senators read the summary of the committee and vote yes or no based on what was written. There is a catagory of lawyer for just about every type of law you mentioned.

Good summation. But lawyers are bad. They get in the way of free enterprise. I heard that on Fox. So I know it's true. Nevermind we are a nation of laws.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was on facebook and came across a senatoris is conservative. I clicked onto his wbsite to see his view on certain topics and boy is this guy nuts. Afew of his ideas are:

-Abolish the Department of Education

-End the Role of the Federal Government in Our Local School Systems (that means no more federal money for our schools systems. I can't help but think that every state in this country is in debt and he wants to reject federal money for our school systems.)

-Drill in ANWR and Outer Continental Shelf (lets kill polar bears so that everyone can think our gas prices are going down. Then again, haven't we been drilling in texas since the 70's? Isn't gas still high?)

Promote Competition and Free Market Solutions to Health Care (Right now the last thing I wanna hear is about anything being free marketed. Next thing we know insurance companies will be asking for a bailout!)

-End Federal Funding for Planned Parenthood (yeah right!)

-Stop Federal Funding and Practice of Destructive Embryonic Stem Cell Research (scientists do tests on unclaimed dead corpses all the time. what's the problem?)

The breakdown of marriage and family is the breakdown of society. Since the social engineering movements of the radical sixties, divorce rates have skyrocketed along with children being born out-of-wedlock. (I'm not sure if he's trying to associate the civil rights movement with out of wedlock kids. Maybe i'm reading too deap.)

-Abolish the IRS (sounds nice but wouldn't the federal government collapse? No money for a military means we'd be prone to invasion.)

Anyway, here's the link to this prick : Travis Hankins for Congress - Conservative Leadership

spoon-fed bloggerdom... you take one guys postings (which by the way is probably a bed-wetting lib trying to incite)... and broad brush it to a who demographic.

you certainly wouldn't like if I took the Rev Wright's or Charles Manson as a reg Democrat and labeling you as a nazi and/or anti-semitic?

Last edited: