Is it me, or does it not feel like Christmas time?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by morano, Dec 15, 2011.

1. morano

morano Member

Albums:
    Since midnight of Thanksgiving day I've been bombarded with holiday decorations and mail regarding Christmas, but I'm just not feeling it. Everyone has their Christmas trees and lights on full display, but I don't hear many of my friends and family members talk about it.

I mean, I KNOW it's December and that X-mas is only a week and a half away, but it feels like retailers and Christmas fanatics are shoving the ideas of "Go buy gifts, be jolly, and love your family" right down my throat.

Maybe it's the fact that there's no snow that's making me feel this way, but it's not uncommon for there to be little snow in Chicago in early December.

I know I can't be the only one that isn't feeling the holidays all that much.

2. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I've resisted TV and radio advertising, and done very little decorating so far, but it feels just about right.

The rest of my family will be coming in Sunday night, and although one of them has to leave on Saturday, we're still going to have Christmas. The best Christmas ever.

I'm not buying my tree until Monday after I get off work, and we may not finish decorating it until Tuesday or Wednesday. It'll be three nights of Christmas partying!

The little one has a birthday next Friday and I have the day off, so there'll be a big celebration that day. It may not feel like Christmas, but I'm just going to do what I do every day, which is to love my family and live in the moment with them. There's too much to enjoy, and I might miss it if I get all wound up trying to manage the crazy future.

3. tamati

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    the xmas tree says its winter, the weather tells me otherwise.

if winter gets here much later, it may as well take a year off.

4. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

It was around 70 degrees here today.

5. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    Had the last 15 odd xmases alone ( except maybe 3 times - and they were only shared with others to appease them, got sick of there moaning about me being lonely'on That day? fr f..s sake, i KNOW what i want/prefer)
    When on the Mainland always take in the 2nd part of the day ,visiting family (who all have families)
    as far as does it feel like xmas, sure it does to me, same as any other year at this time just happy all are a little bit more relaxed and happy ..on that day, and during this period.

6. earllogjam

Gold Member

Not feeling it for the past 3 years...

Not just you.

7. MickeyLee

Gold Member

i got choke-slammed by the bah, humbug this year.
    *kicks inflatable santa*

8. kenny233

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I can sadly agree with the OP. I have been unusually busy with work the past couple of months, and it was 77 degrees with ridiculous humidity here today - worse than our summers in my opinion. Definitely does not feel like Christmas. But next weekend will be great, and I'll get in the mood.

9. mickstl

mickstl New Member

Albums:
    I've never been a huge Christmas guy, but since my Mom died a few years ago, it's pretty much another day at this point...actually, it's worse b/c there's really nothing to do...

10. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Sniffles....have a great holiday Hick....:smile:

11. straightdave10

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes it is you....get with the program and suspend your own disbelief, long enough to get some collective delusion happening. Have you forgotten , 'no independent thought'. Endless consumption hasn't failed you, you've failed it.......yes that's right there is something missing in your life...so go out and buy it. If everybody buys everybody gets. Loneliness is the result of not enough cosmetic external approval. Improve your life and make a commitment to your wellbeing, Research shows that a broad share portfolio prevents cancer. Rejoice in your carefully manicured identical individuality.

After all you are a unique and special creation, just like everybody else.

12. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I volunteer at a senior center every Saturday between Thanksgiving and the new year as time allows. You would be amazed how spending some time with people who don't have any living relatives get ready to celebrate the season will color your outlook of how rosy your life actually is when you are feeling like a grinch.

13. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I usually don't get in the Christams mood until Christmas Eve. I have had a hard time feeling any joy this year. Didn't even put up decorations outside this year. I have never missed a year doing that.

14. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    This afternoon I went down to the bazaar in the old town and did the majority of my gift shopping. I got some Kilim bags which are shoulder bags made from old cut up carpets, a little tea set, loose tea, spices and brass pepper mills, some hand spun wool for knitting, and some bolts of cotton. The whole works cost less than 100 dollars.

Living where I do, I'm not exposed the any of the Christmas hype. I really like it that way, but tomorrow I am getting on a plane and flying half-way around the world to be with the ones I love the most. The whole family and friends are going to be a my dad's to get him through his first Christmas in 65 years without his wife. It will be a bit sad, but we are going to have blast because Mum would have wanted it that way. My daughter and I are going to tour down to the Keys and stay with friends for a week and spend three days in NYC on the way back.

So yeah, definitely feeling the spirit. Not the one that says, "Go out and put up lights and spend a fortune on gifts". Just the warm fuzzy ones.. :smile: Merry Christmas :smile:

15. Pandora77

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Somebody posted this yesterday on facebook and I thought it would fit in here:

“And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow,
    stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons.
    It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags.
    And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore.
    Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before.
    ... What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store.
    What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.”
    ~ Dr. Seuss ~

16. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

17. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Fuck off.

18. august86

august86 Member

Albums:
    The lead up to Christmas has never been particularly eventful for me -even more so as I get older.
    I really only feel 'christmasy' on Christmas eve leading into Christmas day, mainly because of traditions like going to church.
    Many good ways mentioned by previous posters to beat the Christmas blues, such as helping others etc.
    I think it was Mother Theresa that said something like 'the best way to get what you're missing is to give it to someone else'. So, bringing joy to someone else might bring some to you also.
    Maybe trying something different or new would be a good idea too.

19. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Awwww...thanks. Just what I wanted. :smile:

20. midlifebear

Gold Member

It damn well better not feel like Christmas! I've travelled more than 3,000 miles to hide from the insidious annual kidnapping by christians of their "savior" to be the patron saint of fourth quarter earnings and force their "holiday" down everyone's throat. And thank you LAN airlines for not offering any religious or secular Christmas music on your in-flight entertainment system. The soft tropical Latin Jazz was just fine.

#20 midlifebear, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
Draft saved Draft deleted