Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ok, so the other day I was on the phone with my BF and I was telling him about something "I was really into the story" and he goes "Hold on" and interupted me to talk to someone off the phone. When he returned "I was on hold for about 30 seconds:mad:" I got really upset with him and said it is rude to put people on hold. He on the other hand, thinks its a normal thing and theres nothing rude about it. Believe it or not, we got into a small aurgument about it lol "it only lasted about 2 mins" but I said "it's rude for anyone to put someone on hold, and companies to put someone on hold any longer than 4 mins" and he said "it's not rude at all, its a common thing to do as long as it's not hours"

Well we never came to an agreement (suprise, suprise) haha so it brought me here, what are your thoughts on holds?

Reallyonlyme

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It really depends where he was when you phoned him... If you phoned him at work, then unfortunately he's getting paid to work, so that has to take priority (especially if it was the boss talking to him)... I've had similar arguments!
But apart from that I never put people on hold. Whoever started talking to me first will have the priority. The next one will just get a "busy right now, I'll catch up with you in a minute".

barbiegirl007

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't be upset. 30 secs is not long to hold. I have waited a lot longer than that, even to the point where I have forgotten I was on hold and left the receiver just sitting there :rolleyes:.

Hold is rude because it essentially says that someone else is more important than you are. There's no getting around it. If you must put someone on hold then it had better be because of an extenuating circumstance that needs to be addressed immediately and apologies for doing so should be offered.

Hold is much less of an issue with younger people who find it perfectly acceptable to dump one caller for another for any reason and don't seem to be offended by the practice.

Then again, these are the same people who think a naked ass in the face makes for a classy awards show.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Depends on how long I've been on the phone with a person. If it's been for an extended period of time (5 minutes +) then I think it's completely acceptable. I can't be taking up all their time. But if it's just to relay a quick message or to set up somewhere to meet, then I think I'd be slightly irritated with them (unless of course it was something/someone important). It all really depends on the situation.

I personally think you're making it a bigger deal than it really is, but if you're truly insulted by it, then I think your boyfriend needs to understand and accept this and avoid doing it in the future.

barbiegirl007

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It really depends where he was when you phoned him... If you phoned him at work, then unfortunately he's getting paid to work, so that has to take priority (especially if it was the boss talking to him)... I've had similar arguments!
But apart from that I never put people on hold. Whoever started talking to me first will have the priority. The next one will just get a "busy right now, I'll catch up with you in a minute".

I agree!

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I think almost everyone has call waiting at this point so it's to be expected to be asked to hold once in a while. I will often ask someone to hold so I can tell the second caller I'll get back to them. If someone puts me on hold for an extended period of time (or I do them), say more than 30 seconds, I've learned to hang up and let them call me back, no hard feelings. I'm a huge believer in manners but I can't be bothered to get upset about this kind of thing or to take it personally.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
i never use my call waiting. personally, it has more to do with not wanting one more thing on my mind for the moment. then again, most phone calls i take on my cell are business related so if someone is beeping in, they can leave a message and i will call them back.

i have no problems leaving a message on someones phone- usually a detailed one so they know exactly why i am calling and whether or not they even need to call me back. some people are awful about just saying "hey jane, call me" and i havent heard from them in ages, it could be something urgent.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I agree with the person who asked if you called him at work. I have to put people on hold and be put on hold constantly. However when I'm home, I never use the call waiting feature to put anyone on hold I only subscribe the service so that the caller has the ability to leave a message when I am on the other line and I return the call as promptly as possible. On the other hand if I am on my cell phone and I see a business call coming in I simply tell the other person I will call them back because I have to take a call!

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree with the person who asked if you called him at work. I have to put people on hold and be put on hold constantly. However when I'm home, I never use the call waiting feature to put anyone on hold I only subscribe the service so that the caller has the ability to leave a message when I am on the other line and I return the call as promptly as possible. On the other hand if I am on my cell phone and I see a business call coming in I simply tell the other person I will call them back because I have to take a call!

I agree, Nudey.

Nowadays, business calls are not restricted to the office.

There are work-related issues that are far more important than bullshitting around with a friend/significant other. If I'm on a personal phone call with somebody, and their business calls in on the other line, I would feel terrible if the person on the other end didn't let me go or put me on hold.

Also, if a relative is calling in and you are chatting with somebody the chews up a bunch of your time anyway, cut the call loose.

Some of you peeps are way too sensitive about being put on hold.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ok, so the other day I was on the phone with my BF and I was telling him about something "I was really into the story" and he goes "Hold on" and interupted me to talk to someone off the phone. When he returned "I was on hold for about 30 seconds:mad:" I got really upset with him and said it is rude to put people on hold. He on the other hand, thinks its a normal thing and theres nothing rude about it. Believe it or not, we got into a small aurgument about it lol "it only lasted about 2 mins" but I said "it's rude for anyone to put someone on hold, and companies to put someone on hold any longer than 4 mins" and he said "it's not rude at all, its a common thing to do as long as it's not hours"

Well we never came to an agreement (suprise, suprise) haha so it brought me here, what are your thoughts on holds?

I think that being put on hold for long periods at a time is rude.
I think that using cell phones in public places is rude.

reallyhot

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
A simple rule of Thumb is:
If it takes longer than a minute I'll hang up, and call back later,
or have an arrangement with the other to call me back.
In terms of corporate situations...
I like the "Auto Call back" feature...where either the system calls you back when
it's your turn, or the system informs you of how long the average wait time is...
and gives you the option to opt in for a call back instead of having to wait...for an
unspecified amount of time...holding the phone and getting hot under the collar!

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Hold on, I'll get back to you in a bit.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Would you rather him cover the phone mic or put the phone on mute and ignore your story while he talks to the other person?

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I moved house a while ago I was trying to sort out the gas supply at my new address and British Gas put me on hold for 20 minutes!
Needless to say I cancelled my contract and I'll never have anything to do with them again.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
It depends what you are being put on hold for. I had to get my friend to hold while I was sick throwing up. It was more for his being than mine.. no one wants to hear anyone puke.

Parents come into the room, need to say something... I don't think it's rude.

geocycle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sometimes it's OK in business situations. But for personal phone calls I think it's very rude.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You're bitching about him putting you on hold for 30 seconds? :261: What were you saying that was so important it had to be listened to right that second? Was the house on fire? Had a mutual loved one died? Or were you just asking what he wanted for dinner so you could take it out of the freezer to defrost. If he's at work then any one that talks to him there trumps you.

Bottom Line - I think you are being way too sensitive. :yup:

While in general I find being put on hold to be rude, a 30 second hold wouldn't bother me.

I detest call waiting! :angryfire2: IMHO it is the epitome of modern day rudeness.

funnyguy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think almost everyone has call waiting at this point so it's to be expected to be asked to hold once in a while. I will often ask someone to hold so I can tell the second caller I'll get back to them. If someone puts me on hold for an extended period of time (or I do them), say more than 30 seconds, I've learned to hang up and let them call me back, no hard feelings. I'm a huge believer in manners but I can't be bothered to get upset about this kind of thing or to take it personally.

Ditto

StormyB

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Yeah, I would understand if it were his boss or something but this was one of his buddies. I agree with you, the person that calls after you are already talking to someone should be dismissed until you have spoken to the 1st person. I actually said something like that when we were "arguing" I said "either talk to them or me" or atleast let me finish my story! rude!