Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Don't be upset. 30 secs is not long to hold. I have waited a lot longer than that, even to the point where I have forgotten I was on hold and left the receiver just sitting there :rolleyes:.

That has happened to me before, maybe that's why I hate holds lol but this was a company (AT&T) who probably had 50 people before me so I understand that I must wait my turn. This was my boyfriend, who was talking to me first and told me to hold on IN THE MIDDLE OF MY STORY! lol I'm not mad at him (how could I stay mad at him?) but I believe I was right when I said it's rude.

StormyB

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hold is rude because it essentially says that someone else is more important than you are. There's no getting around it. If you must put someone on hold then it had better be because of an extenuating circumstance that needs to be addressed immediately and apologies for doing so should be offered.

Hold is much less of an issue with younger people who find it perfectly acceptable to dump one caller for another for any reason and don't seem to be offended by the practice.

Then again, these are the same people who think a naked ass in the face makes for a classy awards show.
I agree with you on everything from the "it's rude" to the "less of an issue with younger people" because my older peers have never had me hold, but my younger ones do it at times and it makes my skin crawl "especially when it interrupts a great story" My BF is the same age as me (20) both Cancers and everything :smile:

StormyB

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Depends on how long I've been on the phone with a person. If it's been for an extended period of time (5 minutes +) then I think it's completely acceptable. I can't be taking up all their time. But if it's just to relay a quick message or to set up somewhere to meet, then I think I'd be slightly irritated with them (unless of course it was something/someone important). It all really depends on the situation.

I personally think you're making it a bigger deal than it really is, but if you're truly insulted by it, then I think your boyfriend needs to understand and accept this and avoid doing it in the future.

Well true, I don't want to take all of his time "that's the kind of stuff that ends relationships" but dang, he could have atleast let me finish my story, or told the person to hold on just a sec. while he dismissed me, I mean isn't that the right thing to do? as opposed to cutting me off and talking to someone else for min (+) what if the other person had a lot to say :frown1:

I'm not really angry about it, I just think its kind of rude for anyone to do that..and wanted to show him that I was right but i'm not mad or anything haha

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well true, I don't want to take all of his time "that's the kind of stuff that ends relationships" but dang, he could have atleast let me finish my story, or told the person to hold on just a sec. while he dismissed me, I mean isn't that the right thing to do? as opposed to cutting me off and talking to someone else for min (+) what if the other person had a lot to say :frown1:

I'm not really angry about it, I just think its kind of rude for anyone to do that..and wanted to show him that I was right but i'm not mad or anything haha
I figured that was just common sense. But you're right, if he didn't do that, he should've.

Glad you're not angry with him :smile:. Don't let trivial things put an unnecessary strain on your relationship.