Is it the thought that counts?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mem, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I don't mean the thought itself. If you think of getting someone something and don't the thought is worthless.

It should be it's the gift that counts.

Anyway, I always appreciate any gifts I get even if it's something that I don't need, want or won't use.

Earlier this month for my Birthday I got a pair of winter gloves. I have a pair of gloves that are in good shape, I have a pair from 2 winters ago as a gift and now this is my second back up.

So do you appreciate the effort of a gift or do you resent it when you dislike or don't need an item?

2. D_golden parachute

D_golden parachute New Member

Well if they put genuine thought into it then you can hardly hate it

but if it's just some thing they got last minute for the sake of buying a gift, there's no point

3. Northland

Gold Member

Of course it's the thought. Nobody owes anybody anything in the way of gift giving.

4. Principessa

Gold Member

Did it not occur to you they didn't know you already had 2 pairs of gloves? :confused::rolleyes: Is there a law saying you must wear out one pair befor wearing the next? Maybe its a chick thing but I like to keep a coordinating pair of gloves in each coat. If they are a womens size 8.5 send them my way. :tongue:

Sheesh, be grateful they thought of you at all.

5. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I'm grateful for people who think of me, tangible gifts as well as those of friendship, love and sex.

6. Osiris

Gold Member

It is the thought that counts. If it wasn't, I would have disowned everyone I know, including family members.

I know I am extremely hard to buy for so often I will request donations to a charity or something like that in my name for the holidays.

7. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I am always grateful when somebody thinks enough of me to buy me a gift. Today I got lots of nice stuff, none of which I needed, some of which was not quite what I asked for. Know what? I'm keeping it all and I'm going to savor the time I got to spend with people who loved me enough to go in a store and spend their money on me. It's great!

8. Osiris

Gold Member

Friendship and love you got, the sex part...

My wife would kill me and I can't get any decent flights up to Canada today. DAMN! :biggrin1:

9. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

For the most part, it is the thought that counts... unless I can quite obviously tell that there was no thought on their part, then it just bothers me. Like if my best friend got me something that she KNOWS I wouldn't like, or have absolutely no use for, such as a wine rack or something. I don't freakn drink wine!

10. viking1

Gold Member

It is the thought that counts will nearly all social interactions...

11. snoozan

Gold Member

I'm at an age and a point in my life where, in general, if I want something, I can buy it for myself. I don't expect people to get me anything, and if they do, I think it's really nice. If it's something thoughtful that I know they really put their heads into, it's even nicer. But really, I'd rather people shower my little boy with gifts-- he appreciates them more than I do.

12. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

It pisses me off when people dont teach there kids to appreciate gifts or even say thank you for then. Ive got a few friends and relatives kids i haven't bought for this year for that exact reason

Draft saved Draft deleted