Is It Time To Shut Down The Politics Section Of The Lpsg?

Should we shut down the Politics Section and Ban all political talk on LPSG

• Hell Yes! PLEASE!

Votes: 81 50.9%
  • Hell No! I'll leave the site if you do.

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • Please don't. I like this section

Votes: 43 27.0%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 21 13.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I'm curious. If one's bias is one's preconceived opinion about someone of something. How do you know your suggestion isn't also your own bias?

Because this section had been put under a microscope recently I discovered the rule no. 5 paradox spaj8987. I'll gladly accept a liberal bias label with regard to my suggestion for liberty for opposing viewpoints.

Last edited:

billybones

Superior Member
Media
Yep take away the report function and look out. The forum will be hate unleashed with Nazis, homophobes, misogynists, racists, etc running free and unbounded.
But then it’ll be clear who causes the most discord.

I’m sure I have a spreadsheet here somewhere to prove my point.

billybones

Superior Member
Media
Answering questions with questions is how we learn. It is called Socratic. It is also the basis of what is called "the scientific method." Limiting the scope of questions seems like a way to neutralize discussions and outcomes some hate to have. It is a roundabout way of suppressing truth and ideas.

no one has to participate in any thread or engage with anyone who they find annoying. The ignore feature is great for that.
Socrates assumed the posit of the first question had been considered before the second was asked by answer. At least I think that’s a fair assumption.

billybones

Superior Member
Media
We meet all over this forum all day and all night. New issues going forward are new issues. This thread is just rehashing as nauseum now that a resolution has been made and we are all aware of what is expected going forward. Lock the thread, let it drop like all old threads do and we all move forward.
That’s fair.

billybones

Superior Member
Media
Asking questions if fine- Its a way of gathering information and knowledge. What you do is totally opposite. You answer questions with a question. It gets dull really quick
That’s where a common frame of reference and reality is necessary, and sorely lacking, in our shared politics of the time. The hidden secret of politics today is that politics are shared.

Nick Briggs

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
We meet all over this forum all day and all night. New issues going forward are new issues. This thread is just rehashing as nauseum now that a resolution has been made and we are all aware of what is expected going forward. Lock the thread, let it drop like all old threads do and we all move forward.
I don't know... i had a longer post than this typed... but i erased it because I'm not sure if you're way of addressing this is right or wrong.... to just... stop.... right now.

With most things devolving into argument one should stop the moment it stops being civil... but with this... I'm almost wondering if STOPPING is what makes this devolve back down again and ruin any and all progress made. Stupid notions of people claiming victory for "a side of the argument" (no matter which side that is...) doesn't sound like an acceptable way for this to end...

The only way i could knowingly feel good about.... just stopping... totally and completely... ending involvement entirely...

Is if the politics forum literally became exactly the civil, respectful, debate worthy section its suppose to be....

I just don't see leaving... now... as it is and with the state it's in right now... as a good thing.

I don't know... "speak more wise one haha"... i AM listening, i just don't feel it's safe to stop the way people are acting and with the way this place is right now. It really does feel like more work needs to be done and more people engaged, spoken to, and reasoned with about their behavior...

Media
My. Is that a personal attack? Something that is also against the rules here? Would you mind telling the court which political party in which you belong?
Hardly a personal attack. Both could care less about American politics. Drifterwood resurrected a limerick triggered by my use of the word bloviate. His mind operates and retrieves at warp speed, and I was the intended target. Hypolimnas has probably never been to Arkansas which is why his mind functions equally as fast. Both are extremely intelligent scholars, well-versed in many areas of learning, and highly successful in their chosen professions. And, both have a quick, cerebral, razor-sharp, wicked sense of humor. If either were actually making the effort to do a personal attack, it might read as a compliment before one realized they had been nefariously eviscerated. In your behalf, the court is dismissing this with prejudice for lack of merit. Hang in there, Grasshopper. There are those here that are worth knowing. They may require a second look and more observation before engaging.

spaj8987

Legendary Member
Media
Because this section had been put under a microscope recently I discovered the rule no. 5 paradox spaj8987. I'll gladly accept a liberal bias label with regard to my suggestion for liberty for opposing viewpoints.

I can entirely respect that. :)

Hardly a personal attack. Both could care less about American politics. Drifterwood resurrected a limerick triggered by my use of the word bloviate. His mind operates and retrieves at warp speed, and I was the intended target. Hypolimnas has probably never been to Arkansas which is why his mind functions equally as fast. Both are extremely intelligent scholars, well-versed in many areas of learning, and highly successful in their chosen professions. And, both have a quick, cerebral, razor-sharp, wicked sense of humor. If either were actually making the effort to do a personal attack, it might read as a compliment before one realized they had been nefariously eviscerated. In your behalf, the court is dismissing this with prejudice for lack of merit. Hang in there, Grasshopper. There are those here that are worth knowing. They may require a second look and more observation before engaging.

Well then i will admit i was wrong. :) And can respect everything you've said. lol

Reactions: dreamer20

cycleguy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Answering questions with questions is how we learn. It is called Socratic. It is also the basis of what is called "the scientific method." Limiting the scope of questions seems like a way to neutralize discussions and outcomes some hate to have. It is a roundabout way of suppressing truth and ideas.

no one has to participate in any thread or engage with anyone who they find annoying. The ignore feature is great for that.
Yes the ignore feature is a good one- perhaps you should try it sometime. Thanks for the 5th grade refresher on Socratic communication. Im sure had you read down in Wikipedia its widely viewed as evasive. AKA get to the point otherwise you're just spewing your same BS over and over.

fireman1294

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't know... i had a longer post than this typed... but i erased it because I'm not sure if you're way of addressing this is right or wrong.... to just... stop.... right now.

With most things devolving into argument one should stop the moment it stops being civil... but with this... I'm almost wondering if STOPPING is what makes this devolve back down again and ruin any and all progress made. Stupid notions of people claiming victory for "a side of the argument" (no matter which side that is...) doesn't sound like an acceptable way for this to end...

The only way i could knowingly feel good about.... just stopping... totally and completely... ending involvement entirely...

Is if the politics forum literally became exactly the civil, respectful, debate worthy section its suppose to be....

I just don't see leaving... now... as it is and with the state it's in right now... as a good thing.

I don't know... "speak more wise one haha"... i AM listening, i just don't feel it's safe to stop the way people are acting and with the way this place is right now. It really does feel like more work needs to be done and more people engaged, spoken to, and reasoned with about their behavior...

I appreciate your thoughts. Consider - in any situation someone will claim victory regardless of the reality of it. Someone always wants the last word. If you want to see change here, then when you post in the rest of the forum be the change you want to see in others. Some people won't buy in - that's their choice, it doesn't change your actions. We have the ability to ignore stupid shit and say nothing about it. Since all of the critical issues from this thread are resolved - section stays open, tighter moderation, etc., the continued addition to the thread becomes an on going problem because new off topic issues will cause new diversions and people will be reaching back to old stuff to fight new battles and then we're moving back where we started. If the thread is locked, so is the past. We assume the problem is solved and move forward, dealing with new issues appropriately. The work you feel needs to be done, needs to be done across the forum, not in this thread. It's that simple - first rule of holes - "When you want to get out of a hole, you must first stop digging." Let's all drop the shovels and step away from this hole.

I would not want you to leave this section - your opinion is welcome anywhere, but the role you are adopting in this thread is one of defacto moderator / owner's mini-me. It is a thankless position. I realize your intent is to address issues and promote change, but it is becoming a clanging bell rather than an inspiring song. We all got the memo - we follow it or not at our peril, being Jiminy Cricket serves little purpose other than to annoy people with the on going sermonettes, however heartfelt and honestly they are intended. I would like you to BE IN the group, not the hall monitor. You have a lot to offer and this thread stifles it, as we are deeply into the 'wash, rinse, repeat' cycles by about 900 posts.

My point is that it is simply time to move on.

billybones

Superior Member
Media
Really? You’re that sure huh, because I have already gone back and found the election and pre Trump section. So we will see.
You bring up Trump in your conversational posts an awful lot. I’m just not sure it’s the shamed lying liberal leftists that are gargling his nut sack so hard.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I'm not attacking your numbers, I am still unclear as to what you feel they show and why that is important. I don't see any 'facts' attactced - just the numbers. Since the meaning of the numbers, the scoring system so to speak was your standard, it is at best subjective - which is fine, but I'm not getting a meaningful message from it.
Yep. Perhaps it's a secret.

Oh I've gotten the message alright. And to me it's loud and clear.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I appreciate your thoughts. Consider - in any situation someone will claim victory regardless of the reality of it. Someone always wants the last word. If you want to see change here, then when you post in the rest of the forum be the change you want to see in others. Some people won't buy in - that's their choice, it doesn't change your actions. We have the ability to ignore stupid shit and say nothing about it. Since all of the critical issues from this thread are resolved - section stays open, tighter moderation, etc., the continued addition to the thread becomes an on going problem because new off topic issues will cause new diversions and people will be reaching back to old stuff to fight new battles and then we're moving back where we started. If the thread is locked, so is the past. We assume the problem is solved and move forward, dealing with new issues appropriately. The work you feel needs to be done, needs to be done across the forum, not in this thread. It's that simple - first rule of holes - "When you want to get out of a hole, you must first stop digging." Let's all drop the shovels and step away from this hole.
My point is that it is simply time to move on.

An absolutely EXCELLENT point, Keen.

Instead of saying "I accept the decision and trust you" but then following it with continually going on and on as if the decision hasn't been accepted and there is no trust, BE the change you claim to want by entering into threads (and in some cases, a FORUM) via offering meaningful dialogue, counterpoints, and rebuttals, instead of jumping in with insults and attacks directed at the participants (and even the forum).

And if you claim to want dialogue and exchange of ideas, be more open to that which is indisputable FACT, rather than try to insult the intelligence of others with repeated dismissals and denials.

That, I think, is the way to BEGIN dialogue, rather than doing things that elicit vitriolic responses in LIKE MANNER to that of your OWN.

Last edited:

HUNGHUGE11X7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Better Question would be, is it TIME to throw away the First Amendment much like AG BARR & the Gang Of Putin Senators have done trashing the Constitution of the United States ?

HH

Awww Hell No WonderWoman.jpg

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

There was a foul man from Akansas
Who aimed to be the world's biggest bore
He used so many words
That he spread like turds
... basically a shit covered attention whore.

Reactions: cycleguy

Nick Briggs

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
An absolutely EXCELLENT point, Keen.

Instead of saying "I accept the decision and trust you" but then following it with continually going on and on as if the decision hasn't been accepted and there is no trust, BE the change you claim to want by entering into threads (and in some cases, a FORUM) via offering meaningful dialogue, counterpoints, and rebuttals, instead of jumping in with insults and attacks directed at the participants (and even the forum).

And if you claim to want dialogue and exchange of ideas, be more open to that which is indisputable FACT, rather than try to insult the intelligence of others with repeated dismissals and denials.

That, I think, is the way to BEGIN dialogue, rather than doing things that elicit vitriolic responses in LIKE MANNER to that of your OWN.

:expressionless:..... you're not a voice that is going to sway me one sided hate rhetoric pusher... leave me be... *Glances back at Keens message while thinking....*

Status
Not open for further replies.