Is it weird/creepy?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't care who "follows" me. It doesn't do anything, really. Perhaps it grants me access to a gallery I wasn't going to look for in the first place. But sometimes, every rare once in a while, I find it weird or creepy. I always go check the profile in case I am familiar with them. When I see something like they've been a member for five years with fewer than 100 posts and every person they follow is on my ignore list, it's weird.

I feel like my standard is this. I will follow someone who has no need to wonder why. They know from previous interaction that I'm fond of him or her. I think it is sometimes weird, other times creepy, to find I'm being "followed" and have no idea why. Is it just me?

Follow-up. Am I rude for this? I NEVER acknowledge a "follow" from a stranger. If I do have familiarity, and I wish to return the favor, I simply do so, and rarely say anything about it. If I want to follow someone, I ask permission, or do it, and shoot over a note asking if it's okay that I followed. I honestly don't care whether or not someone talks to me about a "follow" if we have interacted a bit. Am I the odd one?

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
No, you’re not the only one.

I think it’s creepy that I have as many followers as I do. I don’t know the bulk of them. Who are they? Why are they following me? Where did they find me? I have zero pictures of me. I do zero sexual chats. I am not looking for any relationship other than friendship.

I do follow people I interact with here. I have a few conversations with people I interact with here. I leave my settings open because I’ve actually met a few new interesting people who have approached me to ask if it’s ok to follow me. Or they’ve started an interesting conversation.

I do wish we had the power to turn down followers like we used to.

Betty_Cocker

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I don't even have a clue of who follows me. A lot more than I want to scroll through. Like you I'm not that concerned. They can't access my private photos unless I follow them (and that list is small). I really haven't even bothered with the follow list in a very long time.

I don't think you are rude by not acknowledging a follower. I never acknowledge strangers whether its a request, post, or PM. I rarely ever engage in any kind of conversation with newbies (outside a welcome here and there) or a random stranger.

I've said it before but even if you aren't on my follower list or I'd I'm not on yours, if we chat in the forums, or have a connection in any way, you'll know it. Friends and followers IMO agent the same thing.

I find it weird how many people follow me. Specifically the ones who never have interacted with me, much less in a positive way. If they are friends with a bunch of people on my ignore list, I'm immediately suspicious.

I only follow people I'm actually friendly with. I guess some cleavage and legs are enough for thirsty folks to hope I'll post more and follow. Joke is on them, though. That's all they'll see.

Edited to add: I generally don't acknowledge follows, either. I have nothing uploaded that is in a private/friend only album, so no worries there. Even if the site changes how permissions work, there aren't any worries for me.

Reactions: lms28
D

deleted924715

I had no idea I had that number of followers, I don't remember getting most of them. Maybe it's because I'm a woman? Maybe it's because I had one or two pics up when I first joined? Because I used to go into chat when I first joined? I don't know. Sometimes, I'll get a new follower after posting in a thread and I'll check their post history and think to myself "You haven't read a single thing I've posted, you just saw I was a woman"

If I follow someone, I tend to just do it - the exception being if I didn't realise I wasn't already following them, then I'll announce it lol. I don't think any of the people I follow would be surprised that I do - I usually found them through liking their posts.

D

deleted924715

I have a few conversations with people I interact with here. I leave my settings open because I’ve actually met a few new interesting people who have approached me to ask if it’s ok to follow me. Or they’ve started an interesting conversation.

Yeah, sometimes people surprise you. I think I locked my messages down to nobody, then people I follow because:
  • waaaaay overfamiliar messages from guys I didn't know
  • messages from guys with a completely blank profile just saying "hi" and expecting me to carry a conversation
  • my bf at the time was cool with me being a member and posting, but not so thrilled at the thought of private conversations

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I always wonder how many of them actually follow because they read my posts (I've had a few tell me in messages that this is specifically why they hit the "follow" button) and how many just see that I'm a woman and follow to try to get something from me that I'm not offering.

The vast majority of the people who "follow" me have never interacted with me at all. Yeah. It's pretty creepy.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
For sure the vast majority are guys who see ‘woman’ and just click ‘follow’, or worse send that dreaded pathetic ‘hi’ message. Geez, Neanderthals had more game. But there is the occasional gem - so I leave my pm bin open. Besides, that open door policy gives me the opportunity to tell people to fuck the hell off and use my precious ignore button. I love ignore. Probably not as much as Ms Lee, but pretty damn close.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I follow all of you! :eek:

I am a friendly creepy.

I usually follow without much fanfare. I have dropped an "awesome" when folks I adore follow me.

I don't have to contend with the numbers of random followers most of you womangs have. For the most part my follow list and followers list overlap. This makes me happy and keeps my paranoia in check.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I follow all of you! :eek:

I am a friendly creepy.

I usually follow without much fanfare. I have dropped an "awesome" when folks I adore follow me.

I don't have to contend with the numbers of random followers most of you womangs have. For the most part my follow list and followers list overlap. This makes me happy and keeps my paranoia in check.
You’re not creepy! You’re delightful!

I follow about 20 people and have about 600 followers. That ain’t right.

TinyPrincess

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just checked - I follow 24 - all you wonderful ladies and only a handful of guys.

Some 1700 guys follow me. That's insane - just checked the first pages. Not a single one of them rings any bells. Doubt I've ever even spoken with them.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Just checked - I follow 24 - all you wonderful ladies and only a handful of guys.

Some 1700 guys follow me. That's insane - just checked the first pages. Not a single one of them rings any bells. Doubt I've ever even spoken with them.

Yeah, I follow a little over 100 people (many of them don't even log on anymore) and I have around 1,000 people following me. The vast, Vast majority I never even see posting in the forums, I have never spoken to them... :neutral:

TinyPrincess

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
To be honest, I don't know what following people does?
When you follow someone, they pop up in your news feed and grant you access to their galleries (if they are hidden for basic users).

I think most followers are in it for the latter. Guys will be guys.

Reactions: AlteredEgo

TinyPrincess

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I see something like they've been a member for five years with fewer than 100 posts and every person they follow is on my ignore list, it's weird.
This!!!

I hate that. Pretty sure it's "just" guys with multiple accounts "keeping track" with a minion account, but stalkers have to start somewhere.