Is "lol" overused?

g_whiz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The grammarian in me would really, truly hope so. I generally doubt it though. When your grandmother on Facebook uses "lol" its generally become part of normal culture.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Mademoiselle Rouge showed me this, which I believe is relevant to the reason why LOL and smilies or something equivalent is necessary for text communication today:

Poe's Law

Poe's law, named after its author Nathan Poe, is an Internet adage reflecting the fact that without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism.[1]

The sentiments expressed by Poe date back much further, at least to 1983 when Jerry Schwarz in a post on Usenet wrote:[4]
8. Avoid sarcasm and facetious remarks.
Without the voice inflection and body language of personal communication these are easily misinterpreted. A sideways smile, :), has become widely accepted on the net as an indication that "I'm only kidding". If you submit a satiric item without this symbol, no matter how obvious the satire is to you, do not be surprised if people take it seriously.