Is Los Angeles dangerous?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
P.S. We're having HORRIBLE fires right now, and Malibu is currently the biggest of 7 fires. The sky is completely clear, save for looking in that direction, where the skies are filled with dense smoke.

Okay, I won't be there till the middle of November anyway.

A disappointing thing that I found out about California is that the ocean water at the beaches is so cold. I have trouble going into the water in Florida in August because I think it's cold.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I live here. Have for eight years.

It's safe as far as American cities go. I've never had a crime committed against me. I have always lived on the westside, which is considered generally safe.

There's no reason a tourist would even want to go to the eastside that I can think of, and that's where all of the historic and stereotypical crime you've mentioned happens.

By far, the worst thing about LA is the traffic. It's one of the most poorly designed cities in the country. Driving is an incredible pain and the natives have learned how to deal with it by driving aggressively. Avoid driving long distances that require using the highway during rush hour.

Anyway, it's a fun city to visit, so you'll probably enjoy it. Good luck!

Also... the water is far warmer than it is in New Jersey, but colder than it is in Florida. At this time of year, I don't advise going to the beach for the water anyway unless you're into surfing.

james91320

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hey Mem...don't worry. You can pretty much drive thru any area on the freeway unscathed. I'm sure you've got no interest in the bad areas anyway. It sounds like someone told you LA is a pit and to be wary...This is not the case AT ALL... I love LA and wouldn't think of leaving the area. Yes, I live in the suburbs, but plan to move closer in. LA provides a wonderfully diverse culture, you can eat your way from one end of town to the other, having amazing ethnic foods from all over the world.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
interestingly, newark is in the top 25 overall in crime rate, and LA doesn't show up at all:

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

what isn't a surprise, and is sad, is that camden, nj is the worst-- which is just a hop, skip and a jump from me.

I wouldn't go to Camden on a bet, day or night. That place is scary!:eek:

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
interestingly, newark is in the top 25 overall in crime rate, and LA doesn't show up at all:

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

what isn't a surprise, and is sad, is that camden, nj is the worst-- which is just a hop, skip and a jump from me.

Wow, according to that San Jose is the safest large city in the country. I guess I'm not that surprised... the cops there take a very shoot-first, ask questions later approach to law enforcement. I guess I always felt pretty safe there, though.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I wouldn't go to Camden on a bet, day or night. That place is scary!:eek:

I used go with friends to buy drugs in Camden as a teenager. Talk about stupid. Camden has been awful for as long as I remember, and it doesn't seem like anyone is doing much to make it better.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used go with friends to buy drugs in Camden as a teenager. Talk about stupid. Camden has been awful for as long as I remember, and it doesn't seem like anyone is doing much to make it better.
I shouldn't admit this but I have friends who used to be addicts and they wouldn't even go to Camden to buy drugs. They went to Lindenwold or to Philly.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I hear that there are certain neighborhoods that you should not go into by car, even during the day, is this true?

I'm planning to drive there from Las Vegas in a few weeks and need a heads up.

I live near Newark NJ and don't feel that driving through it is dangerous, is L.A. that much worse?
Its no worse than Rt.22. Relax and have fun

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I shouldn't admit this but I have friends who used to be addicts and they wouldn't even go to Camden to buy drugs. They went to Lindenwold or to Philly.
Many a run to camden back in the 80's. make some moves and get out. You have to blend in an be an insider and not an outsider and demand respect .

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Many a run to camden back in the 80's. make some moves and get out. You have to blend in an be an insider and not an outsider and demand respect.

The last time I was in Camden was around Thanksgiving 2005. I was doing a workshop at a middle school. It was like a scene out of, "Fort Apache the Bronx" I was terrified. Did I mention I sound like a white girl from the burbs? :tongue: