Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Or is someones faith completely unchallengeable now ?

That is how they would like it often times. Faith as a shield in discussion and debate.

JustAsking is christian and is one of the smartest and most well respected members of LPSG imo. I'm not sure how traditional his faith is though, but he identifies as a christian I believe.

Pye

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
What is Christianity? If you ask 2 devout Christians you'll get different answers. They don't know that it isn't following the bible. The bible was a collection of stories set forth to keep people in line for the time. It wasn't written in 1 day but it was more of a fluid story that constantly changed and contradicted itself. The bible has become stagnant and nothing new has been added or subtracted. If someone were to tell you that God spoke to them you'd step away from them and label them as cuckoo, but the bible has stories in it that people accept because they were taught to accept it.

How many people consider themselves to be "good Catholics"? Do you give the required tithe to the church? Do you stone adulterers? Have you been divorced? Do you have premarital sex? Do you swear? Abortion?....if you step out of line you aren't banned because there would be no good Catholics...oh-- let's form this thing called "confession" and you'll be absolved of your sins...that'll keep the membership up.

Most of those professing to be Christian have no clue what they are talking about.

A good person follows the Golden Rule...which existed long before the bible or Christianity existed...and it is at the root of the creation of every religion and can be stated many ways. The form I find most useful is Gensler's:

Treat others only as you consent to being treated in the same situation.
Ask yourself, "Am I now willing that if I were in the same situation then this be done to me?"

I'm sure that there are good Christians out there...but there are far fewer than profess to be on this board.

Media
I read recently that all religions are half right and half wrong.

There are those, in the half wrong category, that look to conceptual definitions of right and wrong in order to find/establish/maintain their sense of self. When those definitions are challenged, war breaks out. Grown men and women can be seen on the 5 o'clock news laid out on the sidewalks in front of abortion clinics in protest because God said: "Abortion is murder!!!!" Factions rise up, bombs go off, and sadly people die as a result. Human life is wasted on some thing that is essentially comprised of thought.

There are those, in the half right category, that understand that the attitude of: "My religion or faith is the only true faith" is in the service of ego. These folks are usually what has often been referred to as "awakened beings".

I consider Buddha, Christ and others to be awakened beings.

Being right is a mental position, an opinion. Being right also means someone else has the illustrious job of being wrong. It also places the individual who thinks he/she is right in an imagined position of moral superiority.

That same ego, hard at work maintaining its position of right and wrong confuses viewpoints with facts.

It is my understanding that Relativism, the belief that there is no absolute truth to guide us human beings along our happy little way, is the greatest taboo or evil of modern times. (The Catholic Church does not like it either)

For me, common sense dictates that truth can never be found in doctrine or religion or at the local tent revival as they are ALL comprised of thought. Any decent intellectual worth his/her salt knows that thinking in of itself can at best point to the truth.

The saying goes: "The finger pointing to the moon is not the moon."

Christ said: "I am the way the truth and the life" The truth is inseparable from who you are. Christ is speaking of the inner "I am" the true essence of every human being, every life form on the planet if you want to get technical about it.

We define ourselves by the roles we play according to our sexual persuasion, our vast intellects, our hobbies and the music we listen to, the list goes on.

IMO from everything I have read and struggled with, these have nothing to do with who we really are.

It has been said that whatever your resist against, you strengthen.

People who are placing judgment and blame against others, fail to realize that your state of consciousness directly reflects your reality. If you as a Christian can disagree with homosexuality without personalizing it, the light is on and there is hope for you. If you cannot, I will remove myself from the soap box and leave you with the words of the Shepherd himself:

“Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?”

I am all about those logs these days. It is a full time job.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm sorry Vince but that's just more moving of the goal posts. So now Christians should not be judged by the actions of their churches ?

Do churches act without the sanction or the collusion of the billions of people who form their congregations then ? The bricks and mortar of a church building are responsible for the crimes of christianity not the individual christians themselves ?

I don't see why you don't acknowledge what I wrote. Which essentially agrees with the above-
Churches as organizations AND their supporters/members are responsible and even culpable for the actions of the church. I can agree with that.
How can I be more clear?

I'm sorry but what you describe is some kind of a la carte nonesense where we all get to believe in Buddha, Jesus, Mohammad, Shiva e.t.c. all at once and call ourselves whatever we want. If your not a member of a church but just happen to believe in a particular deity, how exactly is anyone supposed to address your beliefs in any meaningful way ? Or must you explain every detail of your own particular personal religion to me before I can even comment ? If so then then you cease to be a member of any recognised branch of any recognised faith and become a superstitionist with your own variety of mumbo-jumbo to back it up. To people who have these kinds of beliefs my attitude is shit or get off the pot, have the courage of your convictions to actually espouse a religion or stop pretending to be of that faith and being annoyed when someone has a problem with the religion you pretend to have.

To address another person's beliefs, if that is even necessary, then all you have to do is ask that person. And what is wrong with having one's own personal variety of mumbo-jumbo anyway? Since when does one have to be a member of an organized religion to be a believer? Are you seriously saying that you think that a person who doesn't follow a church and doesn't attend church and doesn't even like church, cannot really be a believer in the teachings of Jesus Christ? Sorry Hilaire, that's just nonsense. Not all Devil Dodgers are built the same.

And yes it is possible to follow the teachers you named. They all say essential the same thing. Be good. Do good. Love one another. It may be a la carte, but most of what they taught is not nonsense. Much of what their followers later did (and do) in their names is horrible or is nonsense. But if a person want to take inspiration from, or look for answers in more than one place and have a personal belief system not connected to an organized religion, that's their right and you'll just have to deal with it.
Or not. Because that's your prerogative to believe what you want.

If your not actually a member of an actual church and don't follow any known christian theology or doctrines why would you feel at the sharp end of prejudice arising from by someone else's opinions of Christianity ?
Prejudice is prejudice and it doesn't matter if it is directed at someone's skin colour, sex, religion, age, or sexual orientation. I'll object to it, whether it is directed at me or not.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
To address another person's beliefs, if that is even necessary, then all you have to do is ask that person. And what is wrong with having one's own personal variety of mumbo-jumbo anyway? Since when does one have to be a member of an organized religion to be a believer? Are you seriously saying that you think that a person who doesn't follow a church and doesn't attend church and doesn't even like church, cannot really be a believer in the teachings of Jesus Christ? Sorry Hilaire, that's just nonsense. Not all Devil Dodgers are built the same.

Sorry Vince this is totally topsy turvy. The best comparison is that by your logic I should feel offended and prejudiced when people vehemently attack the US Democrats even though I've never voted for them and never would and have never been a member of that party but on the basis that both it and I are left of centre on social issues.

If you don't belong to a Christian denomination, and follow no christian doctrines but just happen to think Jesus was god, then you can't feel agrieved when others challenge the beliefs and actions of churches you don't attend and who's teaching you do not follow. Just as I would not feel attacked if someone attacked the Democrats ven though I happen to vaguely agree with some of their attitudes.

And yes it is possible to follow the teachers you named. They all say essential the same thing. Be good. Do good. Love one another. It may be a la carte, but most of what they taught is not nonsense. Much of what their followers later did (and do) in their names is horrible or is nonsense.

These faiths may look compatible superficially, but most are not if one takes a more serious look at them, but I don't actually care what personal superstitions people concoct, but people's beliefs are a good indicator of what kind of person they are.

But if a person want to take inspiration from, or look for answers in more than one place and have a personal belief system not connected to an organized religion, that's their right and you'll just have to deal with it.
Or not. Because that's your prerogative to believe what you want.

Excuse me but that knife cuts both ways, naturally anyone can believe whatever superstition they wish, I have no problem with that. However I am also completely intitled to express my own opinions of those beliefs and to explain the rationale behind why I come to those opinions.

Prejudice is prejudice and it doesn't matter if it is directed at someone's skin colour, sex, religion, age, or sexual orientation. I'll object to it, whether it is directed at me or not.

I completely 100% agree. I just don't see criticism of religious beliefs as a form of prejudice.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I wish I had posted what I predicted this thread would become when I first saw it because I was right. Just a load of people saying 'we're not intolerant, Christians really are shite'. :rolleyes:

You and me both. The first page or so people were addressing the OP's question. The later posts have mostly been about "Why Christianity is bad" which gives us our answer.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You and me both. The first page or so people were addressing the OP's question. The later posts have mostly been about "Why Christianity is bad" which gives us our answer.

No, it really doesn't. It gives us an answer about TWO individuals at this site, one of whom is intolerant, and the other who is just plain hateful. What I've seen is that, apart from those two, everyone has been supportive of Christianity, though not always understanding of it. Why do two loudmouths get all of the credit here? Why is the vastly overwhelming majority of posters being ignored?

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
No, it really doesn't. It gives us an answer about TWO individuals at this site, one of whom is intolerant, and the other who is just plain hateful. What I've seen is that, apart from those two, everyone has been supportive of Christianity, though not always understanding of it. Why do two loudmouths get all of the credit here? Why is the vastly overwhelming majority of posters being ignored?

Do you mind me asking who these two loudmouthed and unpleasant sounding people are ? :smile:

biguy2738

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The subject of the Christian LPSG group was raised in another thread and when I read through it I became concerned that it seems Christian members feel that non-Christian LPSG members are intolerant or biased against them. Had just one person said this I'd chalk it up to a personal grudge but hearing it from two former mods who have been around long enough, I became worried.
Jase, your concerns and sensitivity are appreciated and yet again demonstrate the kind of man that you are.

There have been times where I've felt as if these boards are prejudiced towards Christians. Why do I say this? Because pre-judging has taken place. And a lot of the time, it's based on projection. It's a case of "these are my viewpoints, these are my bad experiences and I'm going to project this information and my subsequent emotions on you because you ascribe to Christianity". The fact of the matter, though, is that before anything else, the person is talking about where he/she is at with his/her beliefs and emotions more than anything else. You can call me a pig, but that's your perception of me...it doesn't make it fact...and while I know who I am and what I stand for, why should your perception bother me?

Everybody is entitled to their opinions etc. and much as I'm Christian, I think that you know me well enough by now to know that I'm critical of Christianity, so it's got nothing to do with criticisms about Christianity. The thing that troubles me is the kind of approach that is used. Things can be dealt with constructively where one creates dialogue in order to better understand the views of another whilst sharing criticism and welcoming explanations in order to learn and grow from one another. However, a lot of the time, things are dealt with destructively where there isn't any interest in receiving explanations for consideration before making criticism; ultimately, it's based on personal agendas where, at times hypocrisy is at play because much as the person says, "You people ram your beliefs down our throats," the approach of the person is pretty much doing the same thing. Other than having one's ego stroked and feeling better emotionally because of the release, the only thing that stands to be gained from such an approach is division on the boards which will ultimately lead to a corrosion of community on these boards.

As a Christian, I am always open to criticism because it challenges me to learn and grow and it also calls me to re-examine my beliefs. However, I expect for it to be based on fact; there needs to be critical research and understanding because I am not the Christian neighbour/religious leader etc. that pissed you off so don't project that person onto me. And there also needs to be an openness to dialogue; don't expect me to listen to you if you're unwilling to listen to me. Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they're open so I'm unwilling to humor what someone has had to say by spending time in consideration before offering him/her my response. I've got better things to do with my time, most especially when I know that what I have to say will fall on deaf ears anyway. Which explains why I haven't engaged in any of the Christian related threads of late.

I think that there needs to be an awareness that just because a song sounds nice and the lyrics echo what I feel, it doesn't mean that the lyrics are reliable and can be treated as fact.

I am not critical of religions/religious beliefs along with non adherence of religions/religious beliefs. I do not have enough understanding in order for me to be critical of them and I am willing to enter into dialogue with non Christians in an attempt to better understand their beliefs and subsequent visions of the world. The only arena where I am able to apply my criticism would Christianity but most especially, myself.

My intolerances are not just for organized religious instituions, but go to the heart of christian doctrine and the "Good Book" itself.
I respectfully disagree. If you were going to the heart of things, then you would have studied things carefully before being critical and in the instance of the Bible, you've displayed very little understanding about it...and little interest in better understanding it, so I think it would be more accurate to say that your intolerance goes to the heart of your beliefs, experiences and personal agendas.

Yes, I despise the ancient Jews for writing the Book of Leviticus in the first place and inadvertantly foisting their sexual views on the larger world.
Which sexual views would these be?

Jews don't believe in the concept of "Original Sin" and Adam and Eve is their mythology. Jews do not believe in eternal Hellfire because Jews by and large do no believe in an afterlife; for many jews the idea of "burning eternally" is a sick, twisted notion on their Creation stories.
I don't understand your reference to the Creation myths. I'd be very grateful if you would elaborate.

The only reason this Blood has now been abated is because christians are under a new Law, Democracy, and not God's Law.
How would you define God's Law and can you please explain what your definition is based upon?

milledeux

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hilaire writes:

I'm sorry but what you describe is some kind of a la carte nonesense where we all get to believe in Buddha, Jesus, Mohammad, Shiva e.t.c. all at once and call ourselves whatever we want. If your not a member of a church but just happen to believe in a particular deity, how exactly is anyone supposed to address your beliefs in any meaningful way ? Or must you explain every detail of your own particular personal religion to me before I can even comment ? If so then then you cease to be a member of any recognised branch of any recognised faith and become a superstitionist with your own variety of mumbo-jumbo to back it up. To people who have these kinds of beliefs my attitude is shit or get off the pot, have the courage of your convictions to actually espouse a religion or stop pretending to be of that faith and being annoyed when someone has a problem with the religion you pretend to have.[/QUOTE]

ROFLMAO

The hubris, the hypocrisy of Hilaire's comments about being a 'superstitionist' because someone does not belong to some denomination or orthodoxy is a riot. I mean after all, 'virgin' births, burning bushes, parting seas, and that other bit of legedermain, RESURRECTION are the 'superstitions' of the same, said "Christians". Oh yes, it is so much EASIER to identifiy with some denomination or orthodoxy since it doesn't make you THINK or REASON ( a common failure of devout, fundamentalist Christians). As a personal philosophy, much of Christianity can be very comforting and beautiful to the INDIVIDUAL. However, to believe that GOD wrote the crap that is the BIBLE is, in the immortal words of Michael Jackson: "No, that's just IGNORANT!". LOL.... Face it, fundamentalist Christians make their own problems with their stupid and slavish devotion to absurd doctrines that have no basis in fact or even human experience, particularly when it comes to judging (which Christians aren't supposed to be doing, but then hypocrisy has ALWAYS been a hallmark of Christianity). Face it, the opposition to gay marriage has always been that it will lead to some imaginary slippery slope wherein, they maintain, you will be allowed to marry your pet dog or cat. At first that seems really ridiculous; but then, in a Christian belief that has the abovementioned "miracles", then I suppose my pet dog COULD say "I DO" and thus consent. Sorry, I gave up Christianity a long time ago along with my childhood. Aren't you supposed to put those things of childhood aside? Where did I read that? LOL

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
There have been times where I've felt as if these boards are prejudiced towards Christians. Why do I say this? Because pre-judging has taken place. And a lot of the time, it's based on projection. It's a case of "these are my viewpoints, these are my bad experiences and I'm going to project this information and my subsequent emotions on you because you ascribe to Christianity". The fact of the matter, though, is that before anything else, the person is talking about where he/she is at with his/her beliefs and emotions more than anything else. You can call me a pig, but that's your perception of me...it doesn't make it fact...and while I know who I am and what I stand for, why should your perception bother me?

OK so it sounds like your dismissing the emotional responses some people have to the religion you profess.

It also seems as though you don't like fact that many people are deeply morally outraged by Christianity so you simply write their opinions off and attempt to define the parameters of approriate criticism of your religion.

I am not critical of religions/religious beliefs along with non adherence of religions/religious beliefs. I do not have enough understanding in order for me to be critical of them and I am willing to enter into dialogue with non Christians in an attempt to better understand their beliefs and subsequent visions of the world.

But your not interested in dealing with the very sincere and deeply felt moral disquiet regarding Christianity which non-Christians may have?

I respectfully disagree. If you were going to the heart of things, then you would have studied things carefully before being critical and in the instance of the Bible, you've displayed very little understanding about it...and little interest in better understanding it, so I think it would be more accurate to say that your intolerance goes to the heart of your beliefs, experiences and personal agendas.

Was this a very Christ-guided response to Willtom?

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
And the burning of the library of Alexandria was a Christian act....some one murdered the caretaker, Hypatia, disagreeing with her because she was Pagan.

How could it be a Christian act if it was burned in 48 BC, which I what I have always read. Have historians recently revised that timeline?

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Jase, your concerns and sensitivity are appreciated and yet again demonstrate the kind of man that you are.

Everybody is entitled to their opinions etc. and much as I'm Christian, I think that you know me well enough by now to know that I'm critical of Christianity, so it's got nothing to do with criticisms about Christianity. The thing that troubles me is the kind of approach that is used. Things can be dealt with constructively where one creates dialogue in order to better understand the views of another whilst sharing criticism and welcoming explanations in order to learn and grow from one another. However, a lot of the time, things are dealt with destructively where there isn't any interest in receiving explanations for consideration before making criticism; ultimately, it's based on personal agendas where, at times hypocrisy is at play because much as the person says, "You people ram your beliefs down our throats," the approach of the person is pretty much doing the same thing. Other than having one's ego stroked and feeling better emotionally because of the release, the only thing that stands to be gained from such an approach is division on the boards which will ultimately lead to a corrosion of community on these boards.

As a Christian, I am always open to criticism because it challenges me to learn and grow and it also calls me to re-examine my beliefs. However, I expect for it to be based on fact; there needs to be critical research and understanding because I am not the Christian neighbour/religious leader etc. that pissed you off so don't project that person onto me. And there also needs to be an openness to dialogue; don't expect me to listen to you if you're unwilling to listen to me. Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they're open so I'm unwilling to humor what someone has had to say by spending time in consideration before offering him/her my response. I've got better things to do with my time, most especially when I know that what I have to say will fall on deaf ears anyway. Which explains why I haven't engaged in any of the Christian related threads of late.

I think that there needs to be an awareness that just because a song sounds nice and the lyrics echo what I feel, it doesn't mean that the lyrics are reliable and can be treated as fact.

I am not critical of religions/religious beliefs along with non adherence of religions/religious beliefs. I do not have enough understanding in order for me to be critical of them and I am willing to enter into dialogue with non Christians in an attempt to better understand their beliefs and subsequent visions of the world. The only arena where I am able to apply my criticism would Christianity but most especially, myself.

I don't understand your reference to the Creation myths. I'd be very grateful if you would elaborate.

How would you define God's Law and can you please explain what your definition is based upon?

Thank you. That was very well said.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
ROFLMAO

The hubris, the hypocrisy of Hilaire's comments about being a 'superstitionist' because someone does not belong to some denomination or orthodoxy is a riot. I mean after all, 'virgin' births, burning bushes, parting seas, and that other bit of legedermain, RESURRECTION are the 'superstitions' of the same, said "Christians". Oh yes, it is so much EASIER to identifiy with some denomination or orthodoxy since it doesn't make you THINK or REASON ( a common failure of devout, fundamentalist Christians). As a personal philosophy, much of Christianity can be very comforting and beautiful to the INDIVIDUAL. However, to believe that GOD wrote the crap that is the BIBLE is, in the immortal words of Michael Jackson: "No, that's just IGNORANT!". LOL.... Face it, fundamentalist Christians make their own problems with their stupid and slavish devotion to absurd doctrines that have no basis in fact or even human experience, particularly when it comes to judging (which Christians aren't supposed to be doing, but then hypocrisy has ALWAYS been a hallmark of Christianity). Face it, the opposition to gay marriage has always been that it will lead to some imaginary slippery slope wherein, they maintain, you will be allowed to marry your pet dog or cat. At first that seems really ridiculous; but then, in a Christian belief that has the abovementioned "miracles", then I suppose my pet dog COULD say "I DO" and thus consent. Sorry, I gave up Christianity a long time ago along with my childhood. Aren't you supposed to put those things of childhood aside? Where did I read that? LOL

I think you completely misunderstood the point I was making but I quite like being accused of hubris and hypocrisy, that's nice :rolleyes::tongue:

Last edited:

milledeux

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

Dear biguy,

What exactly are you saying? That the Bible is the Word of God? Seriously? Have you read it? Most Christians have not. Are you also aware that no contemporaneous account of Jesus was ever rendered? Doesn't that seem strange to you?

Sorry old boy, I believe that all should be left to their beliefs but should be roundly restricted in applying those beliefs via the rule of man in life. The Bible is absurd, at best, in so many 'rules', particulary those in Leviticus and in much of Deuteronomy. Really, marrying a girl you raped AND paying her father 50 silver pieces. What rot.

biguy2738

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
However, to believe that GOD wrote the crap that is the BIBLE is, in the immortal words of Michael Jackson: "No, that's just IGNORANT!". LOL....
Hrrrrrrm...and is this statement based on fact/understanding or your own ignorance. :rolleyes:

Or would you care to explain what you conclusion is based upon...in factual terms?

milledeux

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
ROFLMAO

I think you completely misunderstood the point I was making but I quite like being accused of hubris and hypocrisy, that's nice :rolleyes::tongue:[/QUOTE]

On second reading, perhaps I have misunderstood. Good for you, good for me! LOL

biguy2738

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Dear biguy,

What exactly are you saying? That the Bible is the Word of God? Seriously? Have you read it? Most Christians have not. Are you also aware that no contemporaneous account of Jesus was ever rendered? Doesn't that seem strange to you?

Sorry old boy, I believe that all should be left to their beliefs but should be roundly restricted in applying those beliefs via the rule of man in life. The Bible is absurd, at best, in so many 'rules', particulary those in Leviticus and in much of Deuteronomy. Really, marrying a girl you raped AND paying her father 50 silver pieces. What rot.
Actually, I haven't only read it, I have studied it...and I haven't only just studied it within various realms of Christianity, but I have also studied it through Jewish and secular tertiary education institutes.

So perhaps you ought to put your money where your mouth is, old boy.

milledeux

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hrrrrrrm...and is this statement based on fact/understanding or your own ignorance. :rolleyes:

Or would you care to explain what you conclusion is based upon...in factual terms?

Yes indeed, biguy, facts that suggest most Christians would NEVER follow much of the crap that is the so called word of God. Again, the rules for stoning, the rules for women (I refer to the passages which describe that when a woman is raped in town and does not cry out she is to be stoned. If she cries out while being raped in the country and no one hears the man who rapes her is required to pay her father 50 silver pieces and is to marry her. What crap is that? God's crap?