Is make up for men still a taboo...?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Maxime_, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Maxime_

Maxime_ New Member

I was watching a few videos on youtube about men's make up. I think it is a very actual theme,as it is getting more and more diffused....with the word "make up",i don't mean just foundation,guyliner, i mean,more in general, all the beauty treatments(creams,aesthetic treatments....) men are beginning to use in the last years.
    Make up is still considered to be a "taboo" in our society,as it is considered to have always been only a female prerogative. I can say this is something very recent instead. Starting from the ancient to the native tribes,passing through the ancient Egyptians and getting to the high class in the 18th century, we can easily see how false this statement is. Men have always worn make up thorugh the years....
    Male celebrities and in general.men from the showbusiness do use make up,discrete make up obviously,not a drag queen make up! so why shouldn't normal guys wear it to be more beautiful?I mean,what's the difference? I consider beauty to be everyone's right. Feeling nice and self confident is something that can really change somebody's life....so why shouldn't for example,a boy with freckles or spots wear a foundation to hide the problem and feel more confident?why shouldn't an ugly and anonimous boy try and look better with a discrete make up?
    You might answer confidence is something within.....yes but in our consumistic society,that mostly affords only one look to you,one shot,one time,one opportunity, isn't being handsome a good start?
    I have many uglier friends who don't get a job because of their look and other hot ones who maybe are not that smart and competent but easily get many opportunities in many fields....so maybe what's within is the second step. First,they look at you,then if they like the envelop,they see what's inside....it's just a supposition and you may agree or not.
    I don't want to bore anyone with my (foolish) thoughts but i'd like to know your opinion on this topic.
    Do you,men, wear make up?if yes,what kind of? are you in favour or against it? do you often have beauty treatments or go to a beauty centre? how do you consider men who do these things? what would you say to a friend who is wearing make up?
    Waiting 4 your answers and please no quarrels,no fights,no bad behaviour! :)

2. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

Answer is simple, whether men do or dont, IF it makes you feel better about yourself, more confident, then wear it. It should be about YOU and noone else...(Just make sure you take a good, long look in a mirror, preferabley in front of a window, before leaving the house)..

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

This subject was brought up last summer but I'll put my two cents in again.
    I have been washing my face with Erno Laszlo sea mud soap, light controlling lotion and regular normalizer shake it since 1965. I have added Creme de la Mer to the routine for the last 12 years or so. I have been blessed with a clear complexion and I am happy and comfortable with a clean face.
    I work once in a blue moon in the entertainment industry in front of the camera and it's necessary to wear theatrical makeup... I absolutely hate the feeling, and how it looks but understand the necessity so as not to look like a ghost in post production.
    The best look for me is to be a little sun kissed or slightly wind burned. If guys want to enhance their look with cosmetics I think it's important to learn to skillfully apply these products so that they look like they don't have makeup on.
    Makeup and nail polish on a guy is a turnoff to me, but I'm just old fashioned I guess.

4. Maxime_

Maxime_ New Member

"....If guys want to enhance their look with cosmetics I think it's important to learn to skillfully apply these products so that they look like they don't have makeup on...."

I totally agree. But obviously it takes time for people to learn how to....especially for a man with no experience on make up,it is hard to know how to look natural. I work in the show biz too so i know how to apply make up and look natural or not. When i work in the theatre i have to use theatrical make up too,which is very thick and bad but of course nobody would stroll around the streets like that!;-)

5. MalakingTiti

Gold Member

Albums:
  6. MalakingTiti

Gold Member

Albums:
    Just joking.

7. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

Men wearing make up is not the taboo it used to be, although it is not the norm where I live I have seen one or two young men doing and lots of young men like putting stuff in their hair which is the same sort of thing.

I would like to know who told you that having freckles is a problem :frown1:

8. Maxime_

Maxime_ New Member

Freckles,imperfections,little spots can be a problem for many people;or better,they can create you a sort of disease. Not for everyone;but i'm a perfectionist and if i had freckles or big spots on my face,i would feel very bad!:)

9. Xcuze

Gold Member

Depends how noticeable it is. If you can tell a guy is wearing make up then its a turn off. But you can use concealers and non glittery bronzers that just enhance your natural look without anybody noticing. Personally I don't bother unless I have a spot to cover on a night out.

But things like blusher, lipstick, mascara and foundation just look awful IMO. And guys are usually crap at applying them. Remember, girls usually start learning this stuff as young as 2 years old. And even they still get it horribly wrong sometimes!

10. D_Roland_D_Hay

D_Roland_D_Hay Account Disabled

Its not my thing, but I wouldn't judge someone else. Obviously he has a reason to want to wear it and its not my place on this earth to say whether its right or wrong.

11. Maxime_

Maxime_ New Member

I agree with that. Nobody i know who feels like a man would wear lipstick or blusher or mascara....A light(and matching your natural colour)foundation is quite necessary if you wear a concealer;unless you want to look like a panda bear and have spots of different colors where the concealer is applied;-). Most girls suck at making up,but gay guys can do it better!ihihihih.....that's why many famous make up artists are men!;-)

12. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    concealer on a blemish is fine

13. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Guy Liner can be cool on young rocker type guys. Anything else is still odd.

14. Maxime_

Maxime_ New Member

I think guyliner on some guys,especially if not too feminine....IS HOT!:)

15. D_Portelay Porquesword

Make up like concealer if there is scarring etc I can see that. My make up consists of facial toner and cream. lol Nothing else. Otherwise, unless you're in Motley Crew and need eye liner for effect...NO.

16. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    From the day I read Nick Rhodes (of Duran Duran) and his wife swap lipsticks...right up through the first time I saw a publicity photo of Zac Efron, I was aware makeup on men has become more and more accepted through the years. Everyone has different feelings on this subject. Me - the above quotes sum up my take on it. As a gay man, if I so much as sense even the suggestion of anything Revlon, I'll run for the hills. Nothing turns me off faster.
    That type thing always makes me think of the funny scene in "La Cage Aux Folles" where the son runs his finger across Renato's cheek...then he runs it down the wall, leaving a trail of the foundation his father was wearing.

17. AquaEyes11010

AquaEyes11010 Active Member

Albums:
    I wish make-up was considered acceptable for men. When I used to do theatre and had to apply a base and then with subtlety redefine my features, I'd look in the mirror and think "wow, it's like I just airbrushed myself." I didn't look like a woman, I just looked like me without imperfections and with an even complexion. True, it was dark backstage and I was looking in a lighted mirror at the dressing table, and I'd probably look obviously fake in sunlight, but I always felt it was unfair that it was acceptable for women to be able to put a little something on to cover the circles under their eyes after a long night out, or do something to cover that dot that appeared one morning.

That being said, do I wear "traditional make-up" off-stage? No. If I'm feeling like I need a little "assistance" I'll switch from my usual after-shave moisturizer to one with a mild self-tanner, which gives about the same effect as a light application of foundation but doesn't come off (well, not for a couple of days, anyway). And when I have those "long night" circles under my eyes, I do have a "dark circle minimizing under-eye moisturizer" that I dab on. There's no pigment in that, though. Sometimes I slide my hands over my eyebrows after fixing my hair to give a light application of hair product to them. And I always have some kind of lip-balm in my pocket.

Now that I'm back in school again, I usually don't give a crap how I look when I go to class. My usual routine is throwing on clothes, brushing my teeth, washing my face in the sink, throwing on a hat, and walking out the door.

18. D_Cateryke Cheesysmell

I understand the need for film and theater, and have applied makeup to myself in those cases, but just for kicks? If you want to, sure, I guess? a little revlon is no wierder than 9,000 safety pins through your shirt or those wierd hole-in-the-earlobe thingies...

19. Maxime_

Maxime_ New Member

I agree with what you say. When you have make up on,you understand how you really would look if you were as perfect as you can possibly be....and it's a pity that being "perfect" is just a prerogative of women. Some girls are really ugly and with the right make up they look great and pretty,so why shouldn't we take that chance? I mean.if a guy is really very handsome,he has no need but....if one is so and so or even ugly,i bet some make up can help a LOT!
    When we talk about same rights and opportunities for men and women,i guess we don't really have,in this case...
    I wish make up were acceptable for men,too!

Draft saved Draft deleted