Is MSNBC about to implode?

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
What the fuck is going on over at MSNBC? :eek: When did Keith Olbermann become lord and master of TV journalism? They have more drama between their anchors than at the DNC.

I think they just need to shut down shop and get the blowhard Olbermann to a glue factory, STAT.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
What the fuck is going on over at MSNBC? :eek: When did Keith Olbermann become lord and master of TV journalism? They have more drama between their anchors than at the DNC.

I think they just need to shut down shop and get the blowhard Olbermann to a glue factory, STAT.

Why?
Well partly because Olberman was the ONLY journalist who was openly and harshly critical, from the beginning, of our fuckwad of a president and his criminally inept and corrupt administration.

While FOX and CNN were french kissing GW's asshole, Olberman was the only voices saying, hey!- um Patriotism is upholding the CONSTITUTION, not eviscerating it.

Sorry... its the Crystals and the Hannity's that need to be done away with.

Journalists are SUPPOSED to critique and investigate...

Not blow butterfly kisses and not read directly from the party spin doctor's talking points as if it were actual news.

24 hour news stations have been bad for news in general, because they only thing they have to fill the hours is supposition and spin....

But Olberman has come closest to the tradition of Murrow, in holding authorities' feet to the fire, than any of the other jackasses that call themselves journalists...

The fourth estate is SUPPOSED to fullfill the function if UNCOVERING what those in power would conceal from the people.

Its why we have freedom of the press; As a check on misinformation.

But since the republican de-regulation of media ownership... there is precious littel free press left...
Just a bunch of corporate hacks selling company ideas with the same tools they use to sell cars.

Olberman was right about Bush when everyone else was wrong.
Its why he deserves the props he's reaping now.

We need more like him... not less.

Why?
Well partly because Olberman was the ONLY journalist who was openly and harshly critical, from the beginning, of our fuckwad of a president and his criminally inept and corrupt administration.

While FOX and CNN were french kissing GW's asshole, Olberman was the only voices saying, hey!- um Patriotism is upholding the CONSTITUTION, not eviscerating it.

Sorry... its the Crystals and the Hannity's that need to be done away with.

Journalists are SUPPOSED to critique and investigate...

Not blow butterfly kisses and not read directly from the party spin doctor's talking points as if it were actual news.

24 hour news stations have been bad for news in general, because they only thing they have to fill the hours is supposition and spin....

But Olberman has come closest to the tradition of Murrow, in holding authorities' feet to the fire, than any of the other jackasses that call themselves journalists...

The fourth estate is SUPPOSED to fullfill the function if UNCOVERING what those in power would conceal from the people.

Its why we have freedom of the press; As a check on misinformation.

But since the republican de-regulation of media ownership... there is precious littel free press left...
Just a bunch of corporate hacks selling company ideas with the same tools they use to sell cars.

Olberman was right about Bush when everyone else was wrong.
Its why he deserves the props he's reaping now.

We need more like him... not less.

Phil is right. Olbboy had the nerve to stand-up when nobody else with his kind of exposure did. He's also right about the effect of media consolidation has had on the free press of this country.

When Bush took office he signalled to the press corps that he would not tolerate too much criticism. If you say too much, you lose access to the "leaks," you lose access to the, "...a top insider said today," and he made that signal the day he caused Helen Thomas's seat to be reassigned from the front of the room to the back. Disapproving reporters would be punished.

News today is supposed to be profitable. To stay profitable then need to have stories to report. If they want the stories first, then news media has to play ball with the administration and they do. There are fewer reporters, declining budgets, and a greater tendency to sensationalistic reporting, if not true muck raking, to gain audience than ever before. As a result, independent investigative journalism has suffered markedly. What we have now are coiffed bobbleheads sweetly reading essentially re-worked press releases from their sources without questioning what those releases say or why. To do so would close access and thus lose viewers. There is always some criticism, some questioning, yet finding hardball interviews with story background investigation is nearly non-existent. The sound bite has become the news.

Bad, biased, journalism has always existed. I am not claiming that all of this is new. What I have not seen before is how perveasive it has become among the news organizations which used to have better standards and, admittedly, far more resources. One reporter doing the work of three and working on immediate deadlines, now that news is reported even by newspapers 24/7, has little opportunity to thoroughly investigate anything.

Still the old media continues to hemmorage viewers. Their CPMs continue to rise while nothing they do seems to encourage viewership. On the face of it, this is actually good news because it signals that the public seems to realize that traditional media is not fulfilling news needs. My concern is that many of that public isn't looking for news so much as an amen corner for thier own world view and today, there's a blog for every political opinion out there. FOX, one of the exceptions to the traditional media decline, provides exactly that. They pat their viewers on the back, reinforce their own perceptions, and skew every report to fit their viewing demographic. They do not challenge their viewership to question their beliefs, do not present criticism of their stories and editorials with anything other than designed-to-lose straw man arguments. Time was that media had more power than that and wasn't afraid to use it because they knew that they helped to form public opinions, not just mirror them.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I see Olbermann at least once a week...i live right around the corner from him. after having seen him quite often for a couple of years, in passing, and each time offering a smile of "acknowledgemnt" or hello, while not trying to be bothersome. he never even smiled back.

one day i smiled and said "Good morning", he said nothing back, didn't even smile, not even a nod...

I guess he is not a morning person. :rolleyes:

needless to say, i have not smiled at him or said a word to him since. Not a very pleasant man in person...always looks downright miserable.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Phil is right. Olbboy had the nerve to stand-up when nobody else with his kind of exposure did. He's also right about the effect of media consolidation has had on the free press of this country.

When Bush took office he signalled to the press corps that he would not tolerate too much criticism. If you say too much, you lose access to the "leaks," you lose access to the, "...a top insider said today," and he made that signal the day he caused Helen Thomas's seat to be reassigned from the front of the room to the back. Disapproving reporters would be punished.

News today is supposed to be profitable. To stay profitable then need to have stories to report. If they want the stories first, then news media has to play ball with the administration and they do. There are fewer reporters, declining budgets, and a greater tendency to sensationalistic reporting, if not true muck raking, to gain audience than ever before. As a result, independent investigative journalism has suffered markedly. What we have now are coiffed bobbleheads sweetly reading essentially re-worked press releases from their sources without questioning what those releases say or why. To do so would close access and thus lose viewers. There is always some criticism, some questioning, yet finding hardball interviews with story background investigation is nearly non-existent. The sound bite has become the news.

Bad, biased, journalism has always existed. I am not claiming that all of this is new. What I have not seen before is how perveasive it has become among the news organizations which used to have better standards and, admittedly, far more resources. One reporter doing the work of three and working on immediate deadlines, now that news is reported even by newspapers 24/7, has little opportunity to thoroughly investigate anything.

Still the old media continues to hemmorage viewers. Their CPMs continue to rise while nothing they do seems to encourage viewership. On the face of it, this is actually good news because it signals that the public seems to realize that traditional media is not fulfilling news needs. My concern is that many of that public isn't looking for news so much as an amen corner for thier own world view and today, there's a blog for every political opinion out there. FOX, one of the exceptions to the traditional media decline, provides exactly that. They pat their viewers on the back, reinforce their own perceptions, and skew every report to fit their viewing demographic. They do not challenge their viewership to question their beliefs, do not present criticism of their stories and editorials with anything other than designed-to-lose straw man arguments. Time was that media had more power than that and wasn't afraid to use it because they knew that they helped to form public opinions, not just mirror them.

Bravo. Thirded.

Elmer Gantry

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Fourthed.

Journos (especially talking heads) that act like journos are the lords and masters of journalism. The sycophantic rot that is printed and broadcast today is an absolute disgrace and has become the most worrisome aspect of our pretty new fascist planet.

A robust democracy cannot exist without robust debate and one key mechanism of that is true journalism. Western govt's al over the world are controlling the press with threats of "cutting off access" to key parts of the PR machine. I sincerely think this does scare journos who have to report to the blue suits about why they missed XYZ headline and are then evaluated and graded on such performances.

Many years ago, journos didn't need access. They just went and found stories.............

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Great post, Jason...
This part in particular is right on the money and the biggest threat to a truly well informed public that this country faces today.

My concern is that many of that public isn't looking for news so much as an amen corner for thier own world view and today, there's a blog for every political opinion out there. FOX, one of the exceptions to the traditional media decline, provides exactly that. They pat their viewers on the back, reinforce their own perceptions, and skew every report to fit their viewing demographic. They do not challenge their viewership to question their beliefs, do not present criticism of their stories and editorials with anything other than designed-to-lose straw man arguments. Time was that media had more power than that and wasn't afraid to use it because they knew that they helped to form public opinions, not just mirror them.

D

deleted213967

I am not sure whether Olbermann is the Left's answer to Hannity or vice-versa, not that it matters.

I still find it rude for a not-that-hot-looking man to masturbate in public, which Olbermann does nightly.

His manichean pronouncements are not so much inappropriate because they are critical (they should be) but because they are shallow.

As for CNN and Fox News French-kissing GWB, may I remind you that Fox News did not exist at the time GWB broke into the White House?

May I also remind you that MSNBC, not to mention the NYT and so many other left-leaning media outlets, all wallowed in the coolness of embedded journalism while covering the war(s) less than 5 years ago.

Can you recall any derogatory comments from the MSNBC team at the time we "liberated" Baghdad?

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
shallow?
Oh yeah... calling bush out on the over-writing of habeus corpus was really shallow.

Look, the shallowest commentary on TV spews from the mouths of Orielly, Hannity and their ilk.

FLAG PIN?

How can anyone get shallower than flag pin...
unless its with "terrorist fist bump?"

Please...
I am not a lefty... I honestly don't think Olberman is either. I think his primary beef is against the brown nose sycophantry of his so-called professional peers.

Being opposed to the largest transfer of public money into a private hands in human history is not being a LEFTY...
Its ACTUALLY being financially conservative... (something Republicans no longer are)

... being opposed to the most imbecilic and ill conceived war in the past 40 years is not being a lefty.

Its being intelligent.
And being opposed to the erosion of rights laid out in the constitution is not being a lefty...
its being a patriot.

Sorry... Olberman does not hate Orielly because Orielly is republican...
He hates Oreilly because Orielly's an ignorant fucktard regardless of his politics.

And the gibes he tosses at his fellow MSNBC "peers" are founded in the fact Scarborough and the little blond twerp are mouthing talking point bullshit rather than actually being journalists.

His frustration and disgust with them matches that of any thinking person old enough to remember ER Murrow, Cronkite, and a young Mike Wallace.

D

deleted213967

And the gibes he tosses at his fellow MSNBC "peers" are founded in the fact Scarborough and the little blond twerp are mouthing talking point bullshit rather than actually being journalists.

His frustration and disgust with them matches that of any thinking person old enough to remember ER Murrow, Cronkite, and a young Mike Wallace.

Granted Fox News is not the paragon of news with substance, but to state that the then-non-existent White House mouthpiece (Fox News) is the only outlet brown-nosing the GWB administration is not very honest.

I confess (mea culpa) that at the time we were about to engage in war with Iraq, it is a New York Times article that swayed me (if for a limited time only):

It bought the idea that Iraq, with its secular society, large middle class and ginormous oil revenue potential, could indeed become that long-awaited stabilizing force in the Middle East.

P.S.: Who is the "Little Blond Twerp"? He sounds hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

deleted15807

Real journalism is dead. Fierce independent journalism gave way to corporate journalism which gave way to the merging of opinion, news, propaganda and entertainment. We are now at the point the public can't even tell the difference anymore. The news is now a profit center. Investigative reporting costs money so the bean counters cut and in the end the public doesn't seem to care. It's more important to 'Keep America Rollin' by going shopping during a war.

BigDickBob

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I see Olbermann at least once a week...i live right around the corner from him. after having seen him quite often for a couple of years, in passing, and each time offering a smile of "acknowledgemnt" or hello, while not trying to be bothersome. he never even smiled back.

one day i smiled and said "Good morning", he said nothing back, didn't even smile, not even a nod...

I guess he is not a morning person. :rolleyes:

needless to say, i have not smiled at him or said a word to him since. Not a very pleasant man in person...always looks downright miserable.

Everyone has a bad day...you don't?

pym

Just Browsing
Media
Weighing in a political opinion on a LPSG forum is a little funny to me....But i like Olberman for pretty much most of the reasons already stated here. He along with John Stewart, for me have been the only Inward looking voices this country has had through some seriously Media Censored time's. I was born in 62, i remember the Body counts and pictures of carnage during the Viet Nam war in the Time Life issue's. The War was in your face and in your home. That is why people in the 60's and early 70's protested. I am constantly amazed when i think about the fact that i live in a country that put the likes GWB in the White house not once but twice. 3 Billy-bobs arrested on there way to Denver to excercise there 2nd amendment 'Rights'. When i hear the likes of Hannity/O'rielly{rarely, because i do not watch FOX} spouting off about how the USA is still the BEST country in the world, i just wanna hide my head in shame. The rest of the thinking world JUSTIFIABLY despise's us. Tough times ahead man. And Flashy, my guess is Olberman has a lot on his mind, keeping up with the constant political minutia that most people would go insane with.And to be able to wade in the way he does...i guess it would take alot of focus. Keep Wavin' and smilin'. P.S.:Add ANN COLTER and Rush Limbaugh to my shit list too.

Last edited:

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
MSNBC was a two bit bullshit CNN clone for years before Countdown aired. Olbermann lifted MSNBC out of it's cookie cutter, journalistic doldrums. Mathews has always been entertaining... Scarborough is my favorite Republican pundit behind Pat Buchanan. They just added Rachel Maddow to their line-up. Let's face it... MSNBC is unbeatable right now and the channel owes much of it's current success to Keith and his team.

I thought that their coverage of the convention was absolutely stellar. :smile:

I feel Flashy's pain about Keith being not friendly in person. My Dad sat down next to Ralph Nader on a plane in the seventies and Nader was VERY unfriendly to my dad, who was just trying to make a little conversation. I have no idea why some liberals are absolutely miserable in person and some conservatives are cheery and friendly. Go figure... :dunno:

B_bigbanana

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Phil Ayesho,
You should be in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade because you are so full of hot air and your ego is bigger than your dick. :eek:

Elmer Gantry

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As for CNN and Fox News French-kissing GWB, may I remind you that Fox News did not exist at the time GWB broke into the White House?

You idiot. Fox News was invented to get Bush into the White House. They first went to air in 1996 with Roger Ailes in charge who was previously famous for heading up the spin doctor team for Nixon, Raegan, George I and Giuliani's NYC mayor campaign.