Is MySpace safe?

avalonlovelove

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I just joined Myspace a minute ago and made my own myspace account.My question is though I have heard that it can run viruses,browser exploits,or spyware on your computer.Is MySpace truly safe or is it trying to trick us?I personally like it I had never really seen a MySpae page in a while.It is actually pretty cool.:smile: :confused:

B_capslock

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know that MyAssSpace ain't safe here with some of the Gay mega schlongus pedulating around here! :biggrin1: Its like the Red Wood forest of dicks here!

Pucker-plumpers!!

Man! I dropped my keys again....

love2showoff

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think Myspace can be as safe as you want it to be there are a lot of people on myspace that are "bots" just try to sift through them and don't let them on your buddy list. it will save you endless spam mail. Other than that I wouldn't worry too much.

SlimGuySB

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It is as safe as any other site that uses graphical adverts provided by an agregator - ie as safe as your browser and O/S patches, anti-virus software and firewall.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Simple answer: No.

Anytime you visit myspace, make sure you have your firewall up, and a program like Arovax SHield, that prevents anything being added to your machine without you knowing it.
SlimguySB is correct in stating that you have to have your PC up to date with the latest patches, antivirus, and firewall. (These are free downloads people...no excuses)

I have a myspace page, but It's plain.
People have told me "Its so plain".

There's a reason. TO add crap to your myspace page (At least the last time I looked at it, which hasnt been in months), you have to download all these add ins... Add ins for your background.... add ins for pictures, music...bla bla bla.
It aint free... theyre using data collecting cookies and programs to do a bio on YOU. That's how they get paid. Selling YOUR information.

Anytime I visit myspace, I make sure I have ALL my protection up and running strong. SUre enough, Arovax Shield WIGS out every time I go there, and prevents crap from being downloaded to my box.

The same thing with FREEZE.com...which is a free screen saver site, also all these nifty toolbars, like Yahoo, Google, AOL, etc.. All Crap that has to load making your PC slower and slower, in addition to adding more open ports for shit to enter in.

Norton Antivirus and McAfee are shit. Sorry gang..but they really are.
I cant tell you how many customers I've had to help by stripping that shit off their PC, and NOrton and Mcafee are 2 that I remove right away, as they HOG system resources so badly, that most older PCs cant even run em.

IE is a good browser, but is prone to exploits. It's best to use IE for things like Windowsupdate, and Firefox or Netscape for browsing.

Long story short, just use extreme caution when using Myspace.

BurningVenus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Simple answer: No.

Anytime you visit myspace, make sure you have your firewall up, and a program like Arovax SHield, that prevents anything being added to your machine without you knowing it.
SlimguySB is correct in stating that you have to have your PC up to date with the latest patches, antivirus, and firewall. (These are free downloads people...no excuses)

Anytime I visit myspace, I make sure I have ALL my protection up and running strong. SUre enough, Arovax Shield WIGS out every time I go there, and prevents crap from being downloaded to my box.

Norton Antivirus and McAfee are shit. Sorry gang..but they really are.
I cant tell you how many customers I've had to help by stripping that shit off their PC, and NOrton and Mcafee are 2 that I remove right away, as they HOG system resources so badly, that most older PCs cant even run em.

IE is a good browser, but is prone to exploits. It's best to use IE for things like Windowsupdate, and Firefox or Netscape for browsing.

Long story short, just use extreme caution when using Myspace.

Getting McAfee off my PC made a huge difference, it really is trash. And I tested the latest version of Norton and was an enormous nuisance.

What anti-virus software do you recommend? And where do you get it for free, so you can try it out?

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Getting McAfee off my PC made a huge difference, it really is trash. And I tested the latest version of Norton and was an enormous nuisance.

What anti-virus software do you recommend? And where do you get it for free, so you can try it out?

Kaspersky is probably one of the best AV's out there to date, you can usually find it on many P2P programs. I highly reccomend it. OR AVG is excellent, I use it and I rarely have problems on my computer, a simple google search will help you find it, and it's completely free.

(I also agree about Norton, takes up too much resources on your computer and always annoys you about trival things, but I've heard good things about McAfee, what did you find wrong with it?)

Willy_the_Wonka

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
AVG Free Advisor - Free antivirus and anti-spyware downloads
Download their free version of AVG anti-Virus, as well as their Anti-Spyware. It has caught things Norton never did.

And whatever you do, DON'T run install more than one Anti Virus program on your computer at any given time!

Also, download Spybot Search and Destroy from The home of Spybot-S&D!

As far as myspace is concerned, it's a hotbed of phishing. Don't click on any bulletin or email that seems suspect....more specifically, the multitude of "Myspace Tracker" links, which are utter and complete bullshit, and merely an attempt to get your account and password info, and propagates additional similar messages to others, and goes in and changes settings in your account. It can easily be remedied by changing your password, but prevention is preferable to damage control. :smile:

I keep myspace primarily as a hub to check in with friends, family and acquaintances everywhere.....I would say the overwhelming majority of it is crap, with a lion's share of low-IQ retards and kids playing idiot games. I pretty much keep to myself there, but I do add people from time to time, and there are some good profiles for musical groups and artists. For example,I made friends (in real life) with a very talented music composer for movies (not a famous person, but his music is heard ubiquitously) that I met thru myspace. So, it is what you make of it. Just be careful. There's a lot of tacky people out there, that goes without saying.

SlimGuySB

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Kaspersky is probably one of the best AV's out there to date, you can usually find it on many P2P programs. I highly reccomend it. OR AVG is excellent, I use it and I rarely have problems on my computer, a simple google search will help you find it, and it's completely free.

Yes, because recommending people use a pirated version of an antivirus is a good idea! No danger of a trojan there...

Stick with AVG or AVAST if you want a good, free antivirus program. Something like Zonealarm for a free firewall and then regular checks with Spybot, AVG antispyware etc (unlike antivirus programs, multiple spyware checkers are a good thing) to keep your system as clean as possible.

THe OP's issue with myspace is mainly to do with the way they serve adverts. This is an exploit that has been used on other sites as well (I think Tom's or one of the other similar sites had the same problem). Basically the adverts come from an agregator. However they are not delivered by the agregator, rather from the individual advertisers. The code isn't checked before you get it as all myspace passes you is a link to the original. Thus unchecked code, designed to exploit a browser or OS flaw, could be run. Myspace is no more dangerous than any other site in this regard, it is just more popular.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

(I also agree about Norton, takes up too much resources on your computer and always annoys you about trival things, but I've heard good things about McAfee, what did you find wrong with it?)

AVG Free Advisor - Free antivirus and anti-spyware downloads
Download their free version of AVG anti-Virus, as well as their Anti-Spyware. It has caught things Norton never did.

Also, download Spybot Search and Destroy from The home of Spybot-S&D!

As far as myspace is concerned, it's a hotbed of phishing. Don't click on any bulletin or email that seems suspect....more specifically, the multitude of "Myspace Tracker" links, which are utter and complete bullshit, and merely an attempt to get your account and password info, and propagates additional similar messages to others, and goes in and changes settings in your account. It can easily be remedied by changing your password, but prevention is preferable to damage control. :smile:

I keep myspace primarily as a hub to check in with friends, family and acquaintances everywhere.....I would say the overwhelming majority of it is crap, with a lion's share of low-IQ retards and kids playing idiot games. I pretty much keep to myself there, but I do add people from time to time, and there are some good profiles for musical groups and artists. For example, I'm on a friendship level (in real life) with a very talented music composer for movies (not a famous person, but his music is heard ubiquitously) there. So, it is what you make of it. Just be careful. There's a lot of tacky people out there, that goes without saying.

I use AVG and have been much happier (so have my pcs). I hear you about MySpace. My page is friends only. I have had no problems and no spammers hacking my page like some of the "friend whores". I also had no problem customizing my site. Simply plug in some code and you are all set. I didn't have to download anything and there are tons of resources to help even the non-techy to customize their page easily.

Basically Avalon, MySpace is as safe as you make it. Just avoid the idiot kids and spammers.

D_kutecuyug

Experimental Member
Media
IIIts safe 0 but the fact that people can put anytning on their pages makes it dodgy i guess - like every site just be careful where you click.

I hear it has a bit spyware on it but just use spybot and youll be fine

BurningVenus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yes, because recommending people use a pirated version of an antivirus is a good idea! No danger of a trojan there...

LOL!! :biggrin1:

Stick with AVG or AVAST if you want a good, free antivirus program. Something like Zonealarm for a free firewall and then regular checks with Spybot, AVG antispyware etc (unlike antivirus programs, multiple spyware checkers are a good thing) to keep your system as clean as possible.

Thanks a lot. :smile: My Norton trial is just about to expire and it's so obnoxious.
THe OP's issue with myspace is mainly to do with the way they serve adverts. This is an exploit that has been used on other sites as well (I think Tom's or one of the other similar sites had the same problem). Basically the adverts come from an agregator. However they are not delivered by the agregator, rather from the individual advertisers. The code isn't checked before you get it as all myspace passes you is a link to the original. Thus unchecked code, designed to exploit a browser or OS flaw, could be run. Myspace is no more dangerous than any other site in this regard, it is just more popular.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I just joined Myspace a minute ago and made my own myspace account.My question is though I have heard that it can run viruses,browser exploits,or spyware on your computer.Is MySpace truly safe or is it trying to trick us?I personally like it I had never really seen a MySpae page in a while.It is actually pretty cool.:smile: :confused:

Don't be an idiot and click on every stupid link you see about "FREE TRACKING SOFTWARE- THIS REALLY WORKS!!" in the bulletins posted, and myspace is perfectly safe. Use the same common sense that you use everywhere else on the internet and you should be fine.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I rarely get friend requests. That may be a good thing or a bad thing! LOL! But I think people freak out about it because of all of the abuse with underage people. I keep mine clean and pretty vanilla. I delete anyone I dont recognize and pretty much dont worry about it. That may be foolish but so far I havent really had too many problems.