Is oral sex mostly safe?

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by B_nyvin, Dec 18, 2010.

1. B_nyvin

B_nyvin New Member

As far as HIV is concerned is oral sex and kissing mostly safe? Particularly with someone who is classified as "non-detectable"

2. JTalbain

Gold Member

Yes, mostly safe. While it is said that HIV is in all bodily fluids involved in the above activities, I'm pretty sure there's never been a single recorded case of HIV transmission by either method.

3. mandoman

Gold Member

There was at least one, where the guy had a tooth out, and shortly after sucked off someone HIV positive.

4. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Link?

BTW: kissing is completely safe, as saliva in not infectious.

5. JTalbain

Gold Member

I remember there was also a case of infection where two people who both had bleeding gums shared a toothbrush. But all the same, in relation to the OP's question, yes. Mostly safe.

6. hsarge

Gold Member

The HPV virus is transmissible through oral sex. It is the primary cause of cervical cancer in women and a cause of head and neck cancer in men. All persons, men and women, should have the HPV vaccine shot, which works.

7. erratic

Gold Member

QFT

HIV appears to be difficult to transmit orally. This is difficult to confirm because people who contract HIV often don't know exactly when it happened. It is much easier to catch HIV through anal or vaginal sex than oral, though, when you consider how HIV is contracted.

1) Your partner must have the virus. (Your partner's viral load does affect how easy it is to communicate HIV, but as long as s/he has HIV you're not out of the woods).

2) You must exchange fluids that can carry HIV. (Cum, pre-cum, blood, breast milk, cerebrospinal fluid - but if you're ingesting cerebrospinal fluid you have other, more immediate problems.)

3) There must be an entry point in or on your body that comes in contact with the fluid exchanged. (Cuts, skin abrasions, infections, and so on.)

Think about it in those terms, not what's labeled "high risk" or "low risk", because these are the things that public health officials consider when they declare what degree of risk a particular sex act entails.

Is your mouth is healthy and undamaged, and you're not gargling with your partner's cum, you're pretty far down the scale in terms of risk. But don't take just anyone's word for it. Think about how HIV works and make your own decision.

8. joeweekend

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I once got it on with a doctor who advised me of the following: oral sex is almost completely safe if you follow the following rules:

1. don't swallow;

2. don't do it if you have any cuts, sores, bleeding gums, or cracked lips, etc that would provide an entry point (so brush and floss to keep you gums in shape, and use Chap-Stick in the winter);

3. don't brush or floss for at least 4 hours before or after oral sex.

As he put it to me, if you follow these rules, HIV infection becomes about as likely as getting hit by lightning. Possible, yes, but extremely unlikely.

9. Denverbearmark

Albums:
    Well, I was at a BDSM play party last night, and as I was sucking cock, there was a discussion going about this nearby. One of the participants of the discussion worked in HIV Prevention/education/care and said that oral sex, while not completely safe, is consider safer and that swallowing does not affect safety. HIV is a delicate virus outside of body and dies easily. Digestive juices take care of swallowing, saliva does not support it. It was just very odd to be engaged in such a fun activity, while just a few feet away guys were having such a discussion.

I have known this for a long time, so not new information for me, but always a good reminder.

10. mandoman

Gold Member

The picture in my mind is hilarious.
    Thanks for sharing that slice of life.

11. D_Jerry_Atric

D_Jerry_Atric Account Disabled

ALL sex has risk.

You should assume that whoever you're having sex with is either Poz or has the possibility of being poz and still have safer sex with them. Just don't give them oral sex at all. Or you could just suck someone who you know is HIV neg since you've been tested together and you know you're very monogamous together. That's what I do since I don't have the best dental health and the idea of using a condom to suck cock is a turn off.

I know men who did get HIV from giving oral sex but they were into swallowing, they'd had a cut/sore in their mouth or had gotten dental work done very recently and figured that it was safe to give oral sex because they'd been told that it was highly unlikely that they'd become Poz at all from giving oral sex.

These guys are only into oral sex and don't engage in any anal sex at all, so they did not get fucked bareback and then lie about it.

You can get other STDs besides HIV from giving/getting oral sex.

#11 D_Jerry_Atric, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  12. Skootavi

Skootavi Member

Albums:
    A doctor friend of mine once told me "swallow or spit, don't let it sit".

13. Gay4Life

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

This is good! This is true. Also, just make sure that what youKre putting in your mouth or what someon is putting in their mouth is CLEAN!!

14. pool boy

pool boy New Member

Albums:
Draft saved Draft deleted