Is overeating acceptable if one doesn't gain weight?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by D_Rosalind Mussell, Jan 16, 2011.

1. D_Rosalind Mussell

D_Rosalind Mussell New Member

I've read a lot of opinions about heavy people and how their overconsumption of food is offensive and a turn-off. This begs the question:

If a thinner person overeats, is it still an issue? Or does it not matter because it hasn't affected their attractiveness? I am thinking of specific people I know that can eat whatever they want, not exercise and they remain fit. So is it the behavior or the results of the behavior itself that are the issue?

2. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

If you're doing something that's negatively affecting your health (i.e. overeating and becoming overweight) then that's unattractive and a turn-off (and offensive, I suppose). If you can eat as much as you'd like without reaching an unhealthy body weight, then you're not [necessarily] affecting your health. The act of overeating itself isn't what's unattractive per se.

So ye, I'd say it's acceptable.

3. HappyBoi

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wow... I've never thought about it in that way, but I suppose, as you put it, it's the 'result' of the overeating that's unattractive, the act itself doesn't bother me really. It's also, for me, about the willpower in a person, the will not to become overweight. There's also a difference between overeating really unhealthy stuff, like fast food and sweets, and 'normal' food and fruit for an example. :p

4. D_Hillary_Clitton

D_Hillary_Clitton Account Disabled

Well, it's not healthy for that person in any case. My brother is stick thin and eats like a sumo wrestler, good metabolism I guess(Asshole, lol). But, I would say it comes out in other areas of his physical appearance(He gets bad acne and B.O., both things can be attributed to poor food choice).

5. Seogra

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    If they're burning all of the calories they consume, then technically, they're not 'overeating'. The way I see it, 'overeating' would be eating an amount of calories over the limit of what your body can process. If someone eats a lot and they're slender, I would not call that overeating. I would consider that satisfying your bodies nutritional demands. If they eat a lot and gain weight because of it, then I would call that overeating.

However, eating say, 4000 calories a day, and not excercising, does not sound healthy. That sounds like an unhealthy metabolism. I'm an ultra endurance athlete, and during some events, I'll consume in excess of 6-8,000 calories in one or more 24 hour periods, but I'm also burning at least that much due to the physical output, and am often operating at a deficit.

6. D_Rosalind Mussell

I agree with you there and you bring up a great point. Athletes do require a larger intake of food, as their metabolism runs higher even at rest and they need to replenish nutrients. It's not overeating at all when you are working to maintain a certain body mass.

7. pleasureboy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have friends who can eat anything and everything and they do and never gain weight. In some ways it's a bit fascinating but at the same time annoying because I can't lol!

8. D_Rosalind Mussell

Amen to that! I have a friend that eats pretzels with mayo, a ton of pringles and practically worships bacon like a deity. Not only is she lean, she has 32DD breasts on this small frame, long legs, great skin and gorgeous hair. I look at food and gain a lb, it just doesn't seem fair! lol

9. pleasureboy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    My #1 fuckbuddy likes to go out to eat and literally gorge himself, then we'll get home and he wants to fuck all night. Maybe that's just a top vs bottom thing, but I have a hard time getting fucked if my system is already full of food!

10. D_Pomeroy Pokingstick

D_Pomeroy Pokingstick Account Disabled

I can think of a couple people I know, how you describe as thin, do not exercise and eat a lot of fast food and other junk food.

I think it absolutely affects their attractiveness. Their current behavior of not being aware or keeping tabs on their eating habits is something that likely will catch up with them down the road.
    The thin person who overeats (especially junk food/ fast food) may seem attractive at first glance, but that quickly changes (at least for me) when I find out how unhealthy they are. No exercise + overeating = possible development of Type 2 Diabetes

It's a misconception, being thin = healthy. I'm sure it's common knowledge for you and anyone else reading this. Peoples behavior and how they take care of themselves (body and mind) is one of the ultimate determining factors when it comes to attractiveness, at least for those I know.

#10 D_Pomeroy Pokingstick, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  11. CowboyJosh

CowboyJosh Member

Just because you can eat anything you want and not gain weight doesn't mean your "healthy".

I had a friend who could eat anything and wouldn't gain a pound, but he died of a massive heart attack at 26 at the gym. He was even at a gym (Lifetime Fitness) that had a staff trained in CPR and AED units, they tried both but he was gone before he hit the floor. He was in ok shape, but the autopsy showed he had high cholesterol, blood pressure, and showed signs of clogged arteries, one that likely caused the fatal heart attack was nearly 100% blocked.

12. enderwiggen88

enderwiggen88 Member

Albums:
    There's also a matter of taking into account what the act of over eating implies. Ignore the shallow/cosmetic aspect of it. Sometimes this act of over eating (and I mean binge eating) implies some sort of eating disorder. If they eat and eat and eat and eat and remain thin, keep an eye out for trips to the bathroom within an hour of their meal (or a small bottle of fluoride mouthwash in their purse/bag as well). It's possible that bulimia could be an issue. I myself have had trouble with compulsive overeating and periods of bulimia. I'm working to control those things and reverse the damage done by them (over weight), so I'm okay now. But overeating can often hide other problems.

13. NumberTwentySix

NumberTwentySix New Member

I never thought about it but I guess there is a bit of a double-standard. I know plenty of skinny guys who eat like pigs, and they don't get any crap for it, if anything it can provide a small, somewhat undefinable, increase in their social status. Fat guys I know who overeat...shall we say often receive less positive reinforcement for the behavior.

14. D_Barney_Ballstomper

D_Barney_Ballstomper Account Disabled

im a fan of overeating without (hopefully) gaining weight :)

15. D_Rosalind Mussell

Thanks for all these responses! I got more of a mixed bag of responses than I thought I'd get. It seems that there is a definite difference between being turned off aesthetically and being turned off by behavior.

16. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    Regardless of an apparent weight gain in the near future (or lack thereof), the effects of over-eating are cumulative. Also, let's not forget that hunger is still a significant problem in many parts of the world, so we shouldn't delight in the ability to overeat.

17. musclebare9

Gold Member

I am one of the lucky ones who can eat whatever and as much as I want without ever gaining weight. When I was younger, I actually had to pound the food in to keep a less then malnourished appearance. I weighed 136 pounds when I graduated high school and was 6'3". I even tried drinking olive oil for a couple of weeks figuring it was straight fat. Most people would have considered what I did to be overeating but it wasn't for my body. It was necessary to keep me going.

I can still eat whatever I want but choose to eat healthy now. There is a lot more to being healthy than just looking acceptable. Cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar needs to be kept at healthy levels.

More importantly, people are doing a lot of wrong things to look right. Pills, powders and diets are destroying people. They aren't worried about their health if they look acceptable to their friends.

18. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

another example of judgmentalism... who is to say what is over (under) eating for a specific person? unless a person has the manners of a pig, let them enjoy his/her meal.

19. yoursgetsmine

yoursgetsmine Member

Albums:
    If you're thin and don't gain weight, who cares how much you eat? If you eat very little but are overweight you'll be judged and viewed differently by your size, not your consumption...and if you pig out, gain weight AND are overweight, you'll really take a negative hit as far as preception goes!

20. D_Rosalind Mussell

The inspiration for this post came from this thread. I think the variety of answers here shed a fair amount of light on what people think of obesity, eating, health and how it all relates to relationships. It matters for some, not so much for others. I agree with you, though. I know people who are in shape who eat like animals and I know heavy people who eat like they went to finishing school.

Draft saved Draft deleted