Is Pregancy too "cool?"

It seems to me that people like Jamie Lynn Spears (15 yr old sister of role model Britney Spears) get pregnant out of wedlock, not to mention underage, yet society sees this as normal and ok. She is on the front page of People, US, etc....

Others including Jessica Alba, Nicole Simpson, Katie Holmes and others got pregnant while unmarried and paraded around proudly....

Another thread here discusses Juno, and what a great movie it is. In the end of the movie, all goes back to normal... no mention of the baby and its long term effect on Juno.

Now comes the news that girls in Glouster, Massachusetts High School had a pregnancy pact where at least 17 have gotten pregnant as part of a cool idea.

Let me say that I am liberal, voting for Obama, supporting gay marriage, abortion rights, etc...

It is bad enough when celebrities who can afford the care of a child have kids (maybe they don't want expensive drop-kick dogs anymore)... teen pregnancy destroys the lives of the GIRLS (not women) who are involved, and statistics show that kids who grow up without fathers are more prone to crime, drugs, and becoming absent parents in the future.

Does anyone have the balls to...
1. tell magazines like people to stop glamorizing pregnant unwed parents?
2. tell these narosistic celebs to keep their legs closed, or at least wear a condom?
3. have sex ed in all schools?

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Point number 3 in your post is excellent.

I think it is the Netherlands that has the most comprehensive sex ed. They also have very very low rates of teen pregnancy. I read one article and a teacher felt that he had failed because in 20years of teaching one student got pregnant.

I'm pretty sure that same article went on to state that the Netherlands had the highest rate of teenaged virgins in the western world.

Knowledge is power, thinking is the hard part.

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
I dont think being married or unmarried has anything to do with it. It is about being finacially stable enough to support yourself and a baby and thats where the lines get blurred. These stupid young girls with o money see people like Kate Holmes as role models with their babies and see how 'fun' it would be to have one of their own. Problem is they are young and stupid and don't think that they dont have the maturity, brain capacity or money to support a child.

Id be less inclined to blame the celebs or magazines and more inclined to blame the parents who arent teaching their kids to recognize reality from fantasy

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Oh, I think it's hella cool. I mean if you have no job and you can't afford anything you just go down to the General Assistance Office and apply for WIC. Then you get Medicaid, and you can sue the Baby Daddy, if you know who he is, for child support.

Seriously though.... Adoption is a viable option. I still don't understand why little girls keep babies that they cannot possibly take care of.

I wouldn't have my brother (who is now 36) if some pregnant 16 year old didn't make the loving decision to allow someone else raise her child because she couldn't.

Children shouldn't be raising children... Period.