Is privacy gone in America and the world?

xtop

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How have we come to this forced "live" lifestyle?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Thanks to video technology and things like YouTube, along with how we freely post information on the internet via social networking sites, privacy is quickly becoming a thing of the past. The only way to preserve any level of privacy these days is to somehow "pull yourself out of machines". But considering how that's quickly becoming an impossibility in a modern day society, the only thing one can honestly do is be very careful what one says or does in public or the internet.

Or perhaps the Rise of the Planet of the Apes movie is actually a piece of non-fiction from the future, sent to us this summer as a warning? :biggrin:

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks to video technology and things like YouTube, along with how we freely post information on the internet via social networking sites, privacy is quickly becoming a thing of the past. The only way to preserve any level of privacy these days is to somehow "pull yourself out of machines". But considering how that's quickly becoming an impossibility in a modern day society, the only thing one can honestly do is be very careful what one says or does in public or the internet.
I don't think technology makes a massive difference, to be honest. In my opinion, it's just the same as saying something face to face. If a person wishes to spread a rumour about you, because they didn't like what you had to say - they will. You have to be careful everywhere. I don't think privacy has changed or gone away. It's something everyone has, you just need to close that door and keep your friends close (if that makes sense :tongue:).

xtop

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think you probably need to explain what you mean a bit more if there is going to be a reasonable discussion.

Thank you for your responses. How can we enjoy the tech-advanced tools like iphones, androids, google live, etc., and still have a reasonable expectation of privacy? One example I am recalling is the Casey Anthony Trail where all the google searches of the family computer were called into evidence.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, if you want to live off the grid like the Unibomber, you are certainly free to do so to ensure your privacy. But what fun is that?

Are you hiding something that Big Brother shouldn't know about?

xtop

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, if you want to live off the grid like the Unibomber, you are certainly free to do so to ensure your privacy. But what fun is that?

Are you hiding something that Big Brother shouldn't know about?

No, the question is what is Big Brother doing that we should know about?

Last edited:

NumberTwentySix

Just Browsing
Media
It depends on whether you want true privacy, or the anonymity of the crowd. Privacy in the sense of nobody knowing things about you that you don't want them to know is probably close to dead. Anonymity, in the sense that you are one of millions of files somewhere that nobody can be bothered to look up, is readily available.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No, the question is what is Big Brother doing that we should know about?

This reminds me of the the old East German internal security police, commonly referred to the STASI. 15% of the country worked for them as narcs or spies. That is what it would take to make a Big Brother system work. That would be approximately 45 million Americans working for the thought police. That's just not sustainable.

xtop

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This reminds me of the the old East German internal security police, commonly referred to the STASI. 15% of the country worked for them as narcs or spies. That is what it would take to make a Big Brother system work. That would be approximately 45 million Americans working for the thought police. That's just not sustainable.

I think the tech in place now makes 45 million unnecessary. Plus the "Unibomber" earllogjam? It has been said one person's terrorist is anothers freedom fighter, but in this case, it's not that deep. It's about awareness my friend, awareness.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think the tech in place now makes 45 million unnecessary. Plus the "Unibomber" earllogjam? It has been said one person's terrorist is anothers freedom fighter, but in this case, it's not that deep. It's about awareness my friend, awareness.

Ever live in a small small town where everyone and everybody knows your business day in and day out and enjoy it? Millions do. Which leads me to think that privacy is overrated.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't think technology makes a massive difference, to be honest. In my opinion, it's just the same as saying something face to face. If a person wishes to spread a rumour about you, because they didn't like what you had to say - they will. You have to be careful everywhere. I don't think privacy has changed or gone away. It's something everyone has, you just need to close that door and keep your friends close (if that makes sense :tongue:).

The two may be similar, but just on the sheer capability of the internet and how viral something can become in a matter of moments one has to be beyond careful what they say or do. If something was spread by word of mouth, it would be dependent on more people to inform and alert people of the news. With the internet you have the ability to post your information to a variety of sources, that pander to crowd sizes that far surpass any physical stage we could generate in moments. And if by chance the information doesn't catch right away, it still leaves a mark that can be traced. Whereas some verbal rumors eventually disappear and are never heard of again.

There was a very interesting Japanese anime that touched into this phenomenon to some degree called Serial Experiments Lain. If you can get into animation and programs that seem like psychological chewing gum for the brain, it may be worth checking it out just for kicks.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The two may be similar, but just on the sheer capability of the internet and how viral something can become in a matter of moments one has to be beyond careful what they say or do. If something was spread by word of mouth, it would be dependent on more people to inform and alert people of the news. With the internet you have the ability to post your information to a variety of sources, that pander to crowd sizes that far surpass any physical stage we could generate in moments. And if by chance the information doesn't catch right away, it still leaves a mark that can be traced. Whereas some verbal rumors eventually disappear and are never heard of again.

There was a very interesting Japanese anime that touched into this phenomenon to some degree called Serial Experiments Lain. If you can get into animation and programs that seem like psychological chewing gum for the brain, it may be worth checking it out just for kicks.
I see your point. Still, my point is basically the same as yours - if you want privacy you have to be careful. Regardless of where you are sharing the information. The biggest problem with the internet is the way personal data can be stored - I agree. Thank you, I'll check the 'psychological chewing gum' later! :tongue: