Is Re-Gifting part of your Christmas Regimen?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Usually the re-gifted presents I receive become re-gifted from me.

Anything from Mary of Pudding Hill
Chocolate covered Bing Cherries
Possibly See's Candy if I get too many boxes.
Any gift basket automatically gets re-gifted
Old Navy anything goes in the re-gift box.
DVD's of movies I don't particularly what to see...etc.

I keep a box in my closet for next year's re gifting. It suits me well because I hate shopping during Xmas season and I never know what to get people. It narrows the selection down considerably.

Am I a bad person?

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Do you give the candy away the same year, or do you wait a year to do it? Giving someone candy or chocolate that was bought a year ago really isn't nice.

Otherwise, I don't have a problem with it.

mickstl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I cringed at the See's Candy and the DVDs. DVDs are not a good gift, unless you know someone liked the movie and doesn't already have the DVD...

The only kind of gift basket I like are those Royal Riviera pears from Harry and David...I can abuse myself w/those...

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Do you give the candy away the same year, or do you wait a year to do it? Giving someone candy or chocolate that was bought a year ago really isn't nice.

Otherwise, I don't have a problem with it.

Nah, the candy is always given the same year. It wouldn't last a whole year in my house as I am addicted to sweets esp chocolate. It's really bad for me so I give it away just to not have it in the house.

I cringed at the See's Candy and the DVDs. DVDs are not a good gift, unless you know someone liked the movie and doesn't already have the DVD...

The only kind of gift basket I like are those Royal Riviera pears from Harry and David...I can abuse myself w/those...

The chocolate covered bing cherries from Harry and David are seriously addictive. I can eat a whole box in one sitting. Get them out of the house! OUT!

mickstl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
LOL, and that fcuking Moose Munch....get that out too... Too bad they don't name it Carpet Munch and then I might not want it ;-)

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Cunt Munch rhymes better..eeeeew. lol.

I have had books that I gave for Xmas returned to me after the person has finished reading them. It's a surprise when you get your gift back in February.

Can you share books now between friends with your Kindle?

mickstl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
WTF -- haven't they heard of a library?

Re: Kindle sharing, you can, but I've never done it. It may depend on the title -- some publishers may restrict to only one device.

Not even going any further on that delicious sweet and salty snack...I'm sure there are some straight guys that have tried both and can compare/contrast ;-0

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Probably not if i was into the whole gift scene
Kids & up to Teens (13) is about my limit these days
others all know from way back, where i was at re gift giving / receiving
works well for self and those i know, tite ass devlish me.

brought a HUGE bottle of Scotch for my then partner many years ago
promise was i would be around when he opened it
split up, he shared it with his step son and friends, haha boo hoo poor me
didnt give a shit actually. haha

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
I would hate to think after going to the time and effort of selecting a gift for someone they would put it straight into a re-gifting basket for next year.

So no i don't re-gift and i don't think its right to do either

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
My taste is exquisite and I take time to know and understand loved ones preferences.
I take time to choose just the right gift for each on my list.
My gifts NEVER get re-gifted and I would be highly offended if they ever were.

True, I've received less than appropriate gifts but it has NEVER entered my head to give these gifts away to someone else.
What a ungrateful, self absorbed act.
Remember, it's not the gift that counts but the thought behind it.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That seems harsh. While what is important is the thought behind the gift, not every gift is given thoughtfully. The ones he's talking about sound like those kinds of gifts.

I would always keep a gift that was chosen thoughtfully, especially if it was from someone dear to me, but the kinds of gifts he's talking about are the kind given by someone who doesn't know you well enough to pick out something that you would like, so I feel no particular compulsion to tell him that he's obligated to keep them and cherish them.

Giving away candy that you fear will make you fat is alright to me, too. I don't think you are obligated to consume every calorie because it was a present.

Last edited:

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
That seems harsh. While what is important is the thought behind the gift, but not every gift is given thoughtfully, and the ones he's talking about sound like those kinds of gifts.

I would always keep a gift that was chosen thoughtfully, especially if it was from someone dear to me, but the kinds of gifts he's talking about are the kind given by someone who doesn't know you well enough to pick out something that you would like, so I feel no particular compulsion to tell him that he's obligated to keep them and cherish them.

Regardless of what you think of my opinion he did ask for individual feed back.
Sorry doll, you don't get to tell me what my opinion should be or how I should react to a situation when person asking for my personal thoughts.

Cheers.
~D.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Regardless of what you think of my opinion he did ask for individual feed back.
Sorry doll, you don't get to tell me what my opinion should be or how I should react to a situation when person asking for my personal thoughts.

Cheers.
~D.

:confused:

I wasn't trying to tell you what your opinion was, I was simply replying.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I take a lot of pride in the fact that I really give a great deal of thought to peoples gifts so the things that I get that I don't want for whatever reason I can't really re-gift. Typically in Hawaii I offer any of the items to my housekeeper to keep or give as gifts and if there is anything left I donate it. In NY I leave it in a shopping bag in the basement of the building by where the maintenance men come in the building and they can keep it or re-gift it.
PS I don't think it makes you a bad person if you re-gift but I never thought it was possible to get too much See's candy.
I always genuinely thank anyone who gives me a gift but I don't believe in keeping something I won't ever use or don't appreciate.

Last edited:

kenny233

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I usually give away things that I don't need, but if I want to give someone a Christmas gift, I like to make it something good that they will like and remember. I'm not against recycling gifts, but I don't do it because I am usually not able to.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Your thread reminded of some instant regifting I saw between two sisters. Their grandmother is very passive aggressive in her attempts to be controlling, so she bought the "domestic goddess" sister a large makeup kit, even though she never wears any makeup, and she bought the "social butterfly" sister a complete set of pots and pans, evidently trying to send the message that she ought to be spending more time at home cooking. The sisters looked at their gifts, looked at each other, and instantly swapped, much to the chagrin of the grandmother who was attempting to explain why she chose to give each sister the gift that she did. I thought they handled the situation brilliantly and they were both very happy with their new presents.

So I also support regifting the presents that are personal judgments, especially if you give it to someone who really would appreciate it.

Last edited:

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I once re-gifted to myself, but technically it was re-re-gifting because the item had been given back to me: 7 or 8 years ago, I gave my niece and nephew each a Cadbury chocolate stocking (similar to the one in the attached picture) for Christmas. But my sister decided that she didn't want her children having sugar, so she took them off the kids and just handed them back to me. My parents were witness to this and were outraged by the sheer rudeness of it. Officially I was offended, but secretly I was really pleased because it meant I was able to have all that chocolate to myself! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Attachments