Is reality TV the decline of society?

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
reality tv is not popular as it is the only thing available. It is likeable cuz you can meet people without leaving the confines of you home.

For the most part Reality TV so to speak is more frequent not by its popularity but by the fact that its cheaper to produce. There is no need for writers, very little producing and I am sure the production company gets kick back from the phone companies involved in the voting process.

This is very true. I was speaking to a television producer a few years ago at a wrap party. He told me that the reasons for the growth of reality programming are that it is much, much cheaper to produce (no expensive actor's salaries, a smaller crew, few sets, etc.) and the public is so addicted to the Box (for the most part), they will watch whatever is put in front of them.

montanaguy

Sexy Member
Media
I don't know if I would consider "reality tv" to be the start of the end of modern society as we know it, or if it started happening years ago when all of the sitcoms had to use dubbed-in "laugh tracks" even when there was a live audience during the filming, because of the bad writing and poor jokes and/or punchlines, because the people in the "live" audience didn't know when to laugh, or, for that matter, no one at home watching the stuff knew when to laugh either.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Then I guess it's official we won't be marrying each other. :frown1: I do not want small children at my wedding. I don't want a flower girl or a ring bearer, or a town crier. I don't want fluffy or butch or any other family pet to have a basket in their mouth or a pillow strapped to their back as they trot down the aisle. I'm sorry I have seen too many children mess up or just plain steal the thunder of the bride. I'm not having it.:cool:
Grouchy today? :rolleyes:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Take a bunch of spoiled brats from Beverly Hills and put them in a harlem tenement with a welfare check and food stamps and see how they survive for a month.
That sounds like about 60% of the script for that stupid show with the Hilton & Richey whores.
Where were these douchebags born and what man in his right mind would marry these self-centered, selfish, inconsiderate, rude, low-class, cunts?
Hmm, you said "cunts." Wonder if you'll get as much hate mail as I do when I use that term?

B_becominghorse

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I never saw anything but Big Brother in 2000 and 2001, it was interesting that long ago, because you could always watch the boring people being processed 24/7. It was also fairly interesting when the Chen girl had to go tell inmates that 9/11 had occurred. One whose cousin had died in the WTC 'couldn't have agreed more' that she was not too sorrowful to continue on in her quest for dollars. There had been a funny Southern girl on that summer who kept getting ahold of liquor. The house was always as tacky as possible, and visually everything was repulsive. The Chen girl was amusing, always quietly condescending to the inmates with her 'I have the real job' attitude.

Saw one episode of 'The Amazing Race' and one of 'Survivor', both of which were the same sort of bullshit--people making alliances that they always broke when it was convenient. In this way, it reflects the pop culture accurately, which is to say it's mostly just amoral, pragmatic and 'I'm gon' kick me some butt' redneck shit. Of course, it's not the only thing that reflects the vacuity: There hasn't been a really good Broadway musical since 'Urinetown' in 2001. 'Spring Awakening' barely manages Muzak. I much prefer fuckiing and sucking.

Never saw American Idol or anything after 2001, but I don't have cable or watch TV anyway, except for VHS and DVD.

But I DO remember 'Queen for a Day' fondly, because I was too little to understand its exploitativeness, and always think only of 'OLD GOLD CIGARETTES...and they're mild...'

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't know if "reality" television is the decline of society, but it is certainly the decline of television— even though at one time we may have thought that no such thing as a "decline of television" was possible.

In Mike Judge's wonderful, too-little-known film Idiocracy, we get a sample of the television of the future: a show called Ow, My Balls!, which is all about a guy who gets repeatedly struck in the balls.

I have an idea for a reality television show: Toilet, about goings-on in a public rest room. In tonight's episode, diarrhea!

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I utterly hate reality TV.

Though I have to admit, I have been seduced by a couple of shows.

1. Deadliest Catch. - Because while it is indeed edited, at least the situations are real, and there is a life or death aspect to it. The people are real people just trying to survive. Also, i must say for something as trivial as wondering how many crabs are going to be in each pot, it is rather suspenseful waiting for the pot to be pulled up and to see how many are in it. :redface:

2. Making The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders - watching the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders dance around and in bikinis every episode is just too good to pass up. It is rather amusing when they go through the interview process. When one girl was asked "Do you think Condoleeza Rice would make a good president", the girl said "I think he would make a great president!"...the interviewee told her Condoleeza was a woman...and then in her post- interview-interview, she said "I felt really flustered when they asked me who Condolenza Jones was!"

you can't buy those kind of laughs. :biggrin1:

3. Everything else in the reality realm seems rather stupid...

However, the best reality show ever, which is in fact, true reality,with life and death situations, is MEERKAT MANOR!!!! Hooray!!!!!!!!

I love that show. That is reality TV.

The one good thing is that with the proliferation of all these different channels and interests, is that as many of these dumb shows as there are, there are so many choices these days, thankfully, on cable, that you can ignore these retarded shows completely, and find fantastic, reall worthwhile programming all the time, on Discovery, Animal Planet, and a variety of other great channels that provide wonderful content, which are sort of what i guess everyone hoped TV would become as an important medium.

IMO

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Does anybody actually watch MTV anymore? It seems to me the network has given up.

D

deleted136887

Reality TV, like most TV, is crap. STOP watching it, it's rotting your brain. In fact, burn all TV stations. The dumbing down of the world is not beginning, it's completed.
If you don't like the crap, SWITCH it off!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Actually, I think a huge part of the problem you describe, OP, is not that the programming is the decline of society, but that parents aren't being responsible enough. They see their children watching a show they don't like, and instead of not allowing their children to watch it, they try to have the programming removed.

And although I'm not much influenced by commercial advertising, contacting sponsors could be a driving force. I detest those organized boycotts, but I don't have a problem contacting advertisers and telling them "I saw that show once, and it is a waste. I'll not watch it again, so if you want me to see your advertising, you should put it on another program." If they get enough notifications, they will contact the programming department of the network.

D_Marazion Analdouche

Experimental Member
Media
All of you should watch a bit of British, continental European, or even Canadian TV as an example of what happens when good writers are allowed to have fun and produce programs whose content isn't as subject to political interference from the religious right.

It actually turns out to be funny - surprise - and those who are offended can just not watch. When did the US get so paranoid about the content on their big TV networks?

Not that it's the only show worth watching but I looooooove Ab Fab.

Actually, I think a huge part of the problem you describe, OP, is not that the programming is the decline of society, but that parents aren't being responsible enough. They see their children watching a show they don't like, and instead of not allowing their children to watch it, they try to have the programming removed.

I agree totally, but I meant shows for us adults to watch when the kiddies are in bed or we go out to the movies for a date night. Parents today using TV as a babysitter without overseeing what they are taking in is another thread all together :tongue:

B_becominghorse

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Not that it's the only show worth watching but I looooooove Ab Fab.

Oh God yes, and all those things with Penelope Keith back in the 80s like 'To the Manor Born.'

Anyway, it's not true the good American TV shows are subject to the 'religious right', at least not HBO and some other cable, which I've watched on tape and DVD. Otherwise, near-rimming on 'Sex and the City' (you can see the asshole even though it doesn't get licked; I can't stand the show, but still...) and Carmela Soprano screaming 'Jesus Fucking Christ, Tony!' would never have been allowed, as well as plenty of nudity not allowed on the networks. And we've always had a lot of BBC things on PBS anyway.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not in the wedding, that's silly. Just there at it. I think ring bearers and all that stuff is excessive.
As do I and totally unecessary. Okay, you are back on my short list of marriageable men. :wink:

To bad you folks can't get laid more often. Then you wouldn't have to watch "reality" TV.
Easy for you to say you're married and have that great library. I bet you've alphabetized your collection by author's last name and subject matter. Just like at Barnes & Noble. :tongue:

Grouchy today? :rolleyes:
Nope, not at all; but I used to be in the bridal show business and I have very passionate feelings on the matter. :smile:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Survivor Harlem, now that I might watch! :biggrin1: Take a bunch of spoiled brats from Beverly Hills and put them in a harlem tenement with a welfare check and food stamps and see how they survive for a month. No landline, no cell phone, no maid service, no pool etc. etc. Show them how the real people live, make them go to public school. Let's start with the Kardashian's, she has 8 kids and 2 different baby daddys, thats a good start. :cool::biggrin1::tongue:

Best show ever! I heard they're looking for new pilots over at Fox. :biggrin1:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
All of you should watch a bit of British, continental European, or even Canadian TV as an example of what happens when good writers are allowed to have fun and produce programs whose content isn't as subject to political interference from the religious right.

It actually turns out to be funny - surprise - and those who are offended can just not watch. When did the US get so paranoid about the content on their big TV networks?

in the words of John McEnroe "you cannot be serious"

Just a month ago the BBC censored the Pogues'

BBC censors The Pogues' Christmas classic - Telegraph

----

As for our "content" being subjected to political interference, I am sorry that is ridiculous.

Good writers are in fact allowed to "have fun" on numerous networks and do whatever they want.

I find it ironic that you somehow don't find these shows to be "funny" or somehow interfered with by the Religious Right.

The Religious Right can bitch all the want. they have been able to do nothing about shows like South Park, or Will and Grace.

there are/were shows like

Seinfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Daily Show
The Sopranos
Chappelle's Show

and dozens of other brilliant shows ranging from comedy to drama that all push boundaries without being interfered with, whose writers are allowed to "have fun"

The religious right are a bunch of prigs and has fuck all to do with any political interference on any of these shows.

Spare me the anti-americanism.

Our entertainment content happens to be absolutely fine and free from interference.

Maybe you should act like a semi-intelligent adult.

When was the last time South Park, who mercilessly makes fun of the Religious Right, was actually "politically interfered with" by the Religious Right?

You can get off your soapbox

B_becominghorse

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
PLUS--Frank Rich wrote about 2 or 3 years ago, when Desperate Housewives was really getting going, that the religious right were actually quietly GETTING INTO all the sexy shows. I'd forgotten about that, they just tend to be a little more (or a lot more) closety, as with Pastor Ted doing megachurch article interview in the Atlantic (or Harper's, whichever it was ) only to make himself even more famous by sucking hustler dick and having to submit to manifold indignities. I truly felt sorry for him, knowing he'd never had it as good again as I have it all the time. And he had LOVED that guy's dick.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I had lunch with my sister the other day and we were talking about various random things, relationships, current events etc.

Then we started talking about movies and television. TV is flooded with various reality shows, which in fact are not well.....real.

What happened to the good sitcoms? Will and Grace, Seinfeld to name a couple, shows that are funny and on occasion make you think.

I only watch a couple shows on a regular basis, but for the most part there isn't much quality out there in my opinion.

Movies are just as bad. I like juvenile humor as much as the next person, but Will Farrel is one of the "bigger comedy actors" of the day? Adam Sandler? I love Adam Sandler since he's from from my hometown, but come on, let's try stretching once in a while. How many times can Happy Gilmore be the character of a movie with a different title?

Who is making the next classic set of movies? I enjoy watching Indie films, since they are obviously staying out of the "summer blockbuster" niche.

Has originality on the big and little screen really just disappeared? I just feel a lot of people are dumbing down instead of watching anything with meaning. Even humor has gone from wit to almost all toilet humor. I don't mind toilet humor, but after a while it gets a little old.

The reason why TV and movies aren't so good. Is maybe we as a public keep supporting substandard art. Like in the black community, the thing is rap...and urban contemporary song form. How in the hell, did the black community come from Nat King Cole...Stevie Wonder...Prince...Diana Ross and the Supremes...People who studied music. Practiced singing. Doing dance routines...progressed over time...to the Neptunes...to Timbaland...to Rich Harrison. Even to Swizz Beatz and Fitty Cent.

Have we forgotten musicianship? Have we forgotten the craft of long ago? Have we forgotten how important history? The importance of education? Resourcefulness? Creativity?

I think the you also have to consider the people making decisions in the whole scheme of things. The executives. The marketing analysts.

If there are people buying a lot of crap. The machine is going to mass produce crap for the masses.

I would like there to be more honest and creative art out there in the world and it will take some serious risk taking, honest approaches, and creative decisions. You will also have to take in consideration of the future. What will the public buy? Will they love your work? Is it viable?
Is it relevant to society? Is it universal?

Maybe the dullness of creativity shown in the creative output of the media industry is reflective in the majority of the market to which the product is realized for.