Is Religion no longer needed?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Kiamo, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Kiamo

Kiamo Member

After reading Madame Zora's thread I had to ask myself if Religion still has a crucial role in society.

I don't think it does.

The rise of secularism in most civilized countries has taken away the roles the Church once had. Some would argue that religion is the basis for morals, and morals are the basis for laws. Assuming that is true: Does it matter now that the laws are in place?

2. Male Bonding etc

Gold Member

People need rituals in their lives. Religion performs this function along with answering questions that science has yet to find answers to. We may understand that religion does not have ALL of the answers, and we may understand that religion has the WRONG answers to some questions, but the NEED for religion is not so easily displaced.

3. Adrian69702006

Gold Member

Faith and religious beliefs are I think as important as they ever were in giving people hope, moral codes by which to live and love, and in helping them to make some sort of sense of the strange world we we live in.:smile:

4. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

It is just such attacks as this that has motivated the Christians in the United States to come out swinging. It is quite hypocrictal for society to attack them for their beliefs and yet, they are expected to be the first ones to step up to the plate in an emergency and give sacrificially of their time, abilities, and money. When all the Katrina peeps came through this city on their way to other parts in Texas, it was the Christians who came out and gave clothes, food, money and their time to man the stations 24/7. We aren't talking about helping a few thousand, it was over 100 thousand people. This county has less residents than that. A church three blocks from me housed over 300 people at a time. In the short time the evacuees where in their building, they did over $30k in damages.
    If these people ever become a united front they will turn this nation completely around as far as politics and law. It's best to let a sleeping bear alone.
    Also, If you do not defend the rights and freedoms of your enemies, you will one day awake to find you have lost your own.

5. Full_Phil

Full_Phil New Member

As with anyone, all of us here opining on this subject have their own definitions of the words "religion", "spirituality", "Christian", "non-Christian", etc---making it hard to reply accurately to another's question about the terms. I believe that Religion with a capital "R" draws those who want friends, support, a sense of belonging, etc--- more than it does people seeking a specific doctrine or creed in our current society. In our information-based society, we are made aware of the imperfections in our Religions, thereby making them less attractive as sources of purity of thought. In our mobile society, however, one can fit right into a new home or location by just showing up at a church similar to one attended in one's old home. I believe we need our own concept of higher power (which perhaps is religion with a small "r", so my answer is we need both, but for diferent reasons.

6. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Conspiracy theories are the new religion :)

7. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I don't think it's needed... not for everyone anyway. People just need a greater being to believe in, which doesn't require a religion to tell them how they have to pray, worship, and how much money they have to fork out to be part of that community.

8. submit452

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you have a gut feeling that is faith you are a believer in a higher power. It doesn't necessarily have to be the concept of a christian God or an Islamic or Hindu God. Who created what became the World? There Has to be a creator somewhere that started the spark that became evolution. Science and Faith are both right. Faith was the catalyst and Science was what evolved from the spark of Faith. People get disgusted with how the Christian bible deals with human beings in a harsh light. This makes people down on Christianity. You can feel that way but don't knock the idea of faith along with that relevant point.

9. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

This is just a statement that non-religious states have no need for religious laws, and as such is probably tautological.

In any case, the majority of us don't live in purely secular states. Sharia, a distinct body of law, has no existence outside of Islam, for instance. In that case and the similar case of Mosaic law, the religion dictates the laws without the intermediary of morals. That gives those laws the virtue of stability, but the disadvantage of total non-adaptability.

10. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Hootie, careful how you phrase your rebuttal, please. I give very freely of my own time, money, and efforts for a large number of charities and causes. I do so without the benefit (?) of a religious overseer. You make it sound as if churches are the only ones who have a philanthropic spirit. One of my volunteer benefactors is, in fact, a church, to which I do not even belong. You make it sound like religious organizations in this country have been beaten into the earth, when nothing could be farther from the truth. These religious organizations (in general, not all, but in general) seem to take a keen interest in my private life, making endeavors to mandate with whom I may make a lifelong commitment. I find that to be offensive. If your religion gives you and others comfort, so be it. I don't have a problem with it. If you belong to an organization which has come out publicly against same-gender relationships, then you are even beneath those whom you disparage.

11. giantsfrey

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    i don't believe in god and i don't think i'm any worse off for it. most of my intelligent friends don't either.

12. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I don't believe in god(s) either. Amazing how many believers will attack me for that assertion. I don't make assaults upon their beliefs, but they feel absolutely justified in attacking me and my non-beliefs. Puzzling, indeed.

13. madame_zora

Gold Member

That's because if they're right, you have to be wrong. Duh, everyone knows that. Besides, if God's on your side and you're sure you're right at every waking moment of your life, why be nice to fags and bitches?

14. Male Bonding etc

Gold Member

LOL - tell it like it is, sister!

15. OmahaBeef

Gold Member

1) Never assume that more secular societies are civilized.

2) Religion is a vital building-block of culture. The absense of religion in a culture is, therefore, cultural decay.

3) Both laws and religion must be in place to offer a nation both growth and stability. Religion offers the application of law on a micro-level. Laws are enacted to solidify macro-level stability. Law without morality is tyranny, morality ensures the survival of laws. One or the other cannot be eliminated.

4) I am not religious.

...OB

16. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Hrm. This is a tough one for me to answer, being non-religious and all. I think everyone has a belief system, and their system of belief is what works for them in their life. Do we need organized religions? Probably, I think if we just took them away the world would be in complete chaos. I, personally, don't see a need for religion, I have my own beliefs that are not religious. But I know many people who do, for their life and what they are doing with it.

17. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

You should be careful how you state your rebuttal. At no time did I slam any one group of people. I didn't state that only religious people gave to charity. I stated facts. When it comes to issues people feel emotional about, they don't like facts that are to the contrary of what they want to be believed. Like it or not, these peoples ancestors founded this country. It was their believe in God that founded the basis of many of our constitutional rights. The National Archives is full of documents supporting it. Many people don't know it but the religious people in Virginia were going to fight Virginia's ratification of the Constitution if those rights were not guaranteed. Word was sent to James Madison and the need for the Bill of Rights was seen.
    At no time did I ever say one thing about any person or their beliefs. All I did was make simple statements with a wise warning. These people can if they so choose, become the largest voting block in the nation and turn everything that has happened in the last 40 years completely and totally around. Let the sleeping bear sleep.
    Your personal attacks on me indicate to me that you are as narrow minded as the people you slammed. You don't know me or what I believe in. There are peeps I pm here that could tell you things to the contrary. Such a loser of a statement to make. I'll put this thread on the list of threads I don't frequent anymore because of such loser postings.

18. monsternmypant

monsternmypant New Member

My mother taught me that religion was one thing not discussed in the company of those called friends (not Quakers!) or those whom one wishes as friends. I believe that there was a similar lesson on sex... but I kinda forgot THAT one quickly!

19. OmahaBeef

Gold Member

I don't think this should be a religion/anti-religion pissing match here, so lets stay on topic:

The OP asked if religion was still neccessary in "this age"...your thoughts?

...OB

20. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

The original post did not attack anyone, that I could tell. It simply asked the question: Is religion no longer needed. It did not state that religion is no longer needed, it asked the question. That you saw this as an attack is telling.
    No, you did not say that religions are the only ones who give to charities, but you did say they are the first, and that everyone expects them to be first. I give year-round, and I have no expectation about anyone else. I worry about me.
    I'm waiting for you to say anything about anyone else who came out and gave clothes, food, money, and their time. Otherwise, it sounds like you are saying the Christians are the only ones.
    I defend the rights and freedoms of christians far more often than they do the same for me.
    I never said you did.
    You didn't state it, but you insinuated it. See above.
    No, you stated what you or your group did. Nothing wrong with that, except you make it seem like no one but your christian group was willing to help. That is not a fact.
    ibid.
    Wrong. Please do a google search on "Deists."
    Yes, you did, you began by attacking me. In my post, I was simply pointing out that others besides christians reach out to those in need.
    Ibid. You have an interesting (and twisted) view of "slammed."
    Correct. Likewise. But you apparently think you know what I believe in, or not. Hootie, I really don't care what you believe in or not. Just don't try to make it seem that the christian groups are doing so much more than anyone else. It just is not necessarily the case. You have no way of knowing how much time treasure and talent I donate. I am an individual. If there were hundreds of me, organized into a church-type group, I have no doubt that my relief efforts or any other charitable efforts would be making the news.
    Go ahead and call me a loser if that's what it takes to make your soul at ease, I know you are a model christian. And feel free to avoid this thread, if that also makes you a better person. Pax vobiscum.

Draft saved Draft deleted