Is Romance Dead?

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
naughty said:
Lucky,

What a lovely post.Thank you for telling us about your relationship. There is hope for all of us.

naughty

The wonderful Lucky post was quite a contrast to the somewhat cynical opinion of AMikkell. I hope that AMikkell will get together with someone who can change his mind.

I don't know if some people are romantic naturally or if it can be learned.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have the same positive effect on everyone.

I think that for romance to be successful, it has to be appreciated and reciprocated.

That is one reason why my own relationship works so well. But, this is the only relationship that HAS worked this way for me even though I have always treated my partners the same way. Curious...........

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
caneadea said:
I don't know if some people are romantic naturally or if it can be learned.
IMHO, the mechanics of romance can be learned, but the practice cannot. My theory is that if you are comfortable with yourself, and you view other people with respect, then romance can be a part of your life. Unfortunately, there are people who don't like themselves, or have an inflated ego, or view other people with a generalized contempt, and I believe that they are the ones who just cannot comprehend romance.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have the same positive effect on everyone.

I think that for romance to be successful, it has to be appreciated and reciprocated.
Exactly! If one half of a relationship expects or demands roses and chocolates, then the whole point is lost.

That is one reason why my own relationship works so well. But, this is the only relationship that HAS worked this way for me even though I have always treated my partners the same way. Curious...........
My situation exactly. I have never treated a partner or potential partner any differently than I treat my current (almost 5 years now) partner... but up until now, every relationship I was in was brief and ended unpleasantly. I'm glad I finally found the man who is truly my other half. Thanks for your post, caneadea!

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I think the very top of romantic behavior happened on TV in the late 1950's.

It was a game show, "Name That Tune." For part of the game, the object was for a pair of competitors to stand behind a mark on the stage listening for a tune to begin. The first to run to the other end of the stage and ring a bell and Name that Tune, won points, which converted to cash at the end of the show. Often it was same-sex pairings but when it was male/female, the male usually won the race to the bell.

Then that one evening the pair was a Brit guy and a nice-looking blonde girl. Every time the Tune played, the Brit motioned for the girl to go ahead and ring the bell. He was just too damned polite to win the game. I was disgusted with the guy.

If I got some of the particulars of the game wrong, please forgive me. I was about 10 years old at the time and girls were yukky.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Pecker said:
For part of the game, the object was for a pair of competitors to stand behind a mark on the stage listening for a tune to begin. The first to run to the other end of the stage and ring a bell and Name that Tune, won points, which converted to cash at the end of the show...
If I got some of the particulars of the game wrong, please forgive me. I was about 10 years old at the time and girls were yukky.
Maybe the "Name that Tune" I remember was a re-make, but it was basically a "bid-off"... the host would give a trivia-type clue, then the contestants would bid to see who could name the tune in the least number of notes; "I can name that tune in 6 notes"... "I can name that tune in 3 notes..." etc. When one gave up, he would tell the other to "name that tune." The "bonus round" was the winner of the first part, and the contestant would name as many as possible that the band played, in 60 seconds. Interesting story though, about the guy waiting for his female competitor to ring in first.

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
DC_DEEP said:
IMHO, the mechanics of romance can be learned, but the practice cannot. My theory is that if you are comfortable with yourself, and you view other people with respect, then romance can be a part of your life. Unfortunately, there are people who don't like themselves, or have an inflated ego, or view other people with a generalized contempt, and I believe that they are the ones who just cannot comprehend romance.

Exactly! If one half of a relationship expects or demands roses and chocolates, then the whole point is lost.

My situation exactly. I have never treated a partner or potential partner any differently than I treat my current (almost 5 years now) partner... but up until now, every relationship I was in was brief and ended unpleasantly. I'm glad I finally found the man who is truly my other half. Thanks for your post, caneadea!