Is sailing a home made boat illegal?

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In New York, you go to the DMV but again, only if the boat has a motor of any kind. Otherwise, you're free to sail what ever you please without registration.

No license is necessary so long as he's not operating commercially.

Not necessarily. Cardboard is pretty resilient when impregnated with water-proofing compounds.

I wasn't aware there was a Marine Grade of cardboard.

mickswim

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
robert krannert invented corrugated cardboard - he put 12 sheets together and wqalked elephants across a bridge at the woorld's fair in ...

yes - cardboard is good and can keep ya afloat

I wasn't aware there was a Marine Grade of cardboard.

There isn't really, but you can make it so. This FAQ explains. You can make a decent pleasure boat for next to nothing. Most boats are the size you see in the pictures, but others can be larger and more complex with sails, paddles, and other means of propulsion.

OK, so we haven't heard from him in over 20 hours... :dunno:

Maybe his boat wasn't as waterproof as it should have been?

In fairness, Orbitz works long hours and has a lot on his plate.

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I was 12 or so I made an 8' long folding boat out of 1/4" plywood for 2 people, hinges and gate hooks to keep the bottoms hooked together, and handles to carry it. The following year I made a painted canvas kayak with plywood ribs and 10' pieces of 1/2" conduit. It was a lot of fun and I used it quite a bit. That was 45 years ago and in California, and there were no laws at that time for small boats.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In PA -

Requirements for vessel registration vary from state to state. In Pennsylvania, you must have a Pennsylvania Certificate of Boat Registration and validation decals to operate motorboats legally on public waters. In addition, unpowered vessels using Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission (PFBC) lakes, state parks, or access areas must be registered or have a launch permit issued by the PFBC or the Bureau of State Parks.

Not all waterways require registration though but all watercraft has to abide by the safe boating requirements.

If you want to talk about unsafe things, My dad used to pull us around with his boat and we sat on a section of plywood we found and tied the sky rope to it. If you didn't lean way back and pull up on the front .. well you can imagine what happened.

I am sure you could find info on your area as fast as I did on mine.