Is shaving pubes an Islamic custom?

JaimeB

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
i read recently that there is a tradition called Sunan al-Fitra among Muslims that encourages (among other hygienic practices) the shaving of pubic hair. I wonder if any Muslim men on this site know if this is true, and if so, how common is it for Muslim men to actually keep their pubes shaved?

personally, i like to see men with shaved or trimmed pubes, and i do see some shaved guys at my gym, for example. i shave my own pubes once a week, even though i am not Muslim...

farizam

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There are several guidelines that Muslims have to follow in order to be clean and healthy.These include ablution before performing prayers, clipping finger and toe nails, bathing regularly and also shaving or removing unnecessary body hair. It makes the person more hygienic and prevents bacterial infections and other difficulties. It also prevents accumulation of dirt in such regions of the body.

buffaloboy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
There are several guidelines that Muslims have to follow in order to be clean and healthy.These include ablution before performing prayers, clipping finger and toe nails, bathing regularly and also shaving or removing unnecessary body hair. It makes the person more hygienic and prevents bacterial infections and other difficulties. It also prevents accumulation of dirt in such regions of the body.

It's actually a myth that hair removal is 'more hygienic'. One of the functions of body hair is to wick sweat away from the body. Thus, when it's removed, sweat simply sits directly on the skin, which can lead to a build up of bacteria, causing infections.

lineok03

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Norwalk, California, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Sunan Al-Fitrah

The State (Condition) That Allah ((Subhana wa taaala).) Likes the Humans to Be In.

1. Circumcision: is obligatory according to Shafei’s and Hanbali’s, based on a fair Hadith reported by Imam Abu Da’ud and Al-Baihaqi that the Prophet Muhammad ( sal-lal-lahu alai hi wa sallam) had said to a man who converted to Islam: “Get rid of the Kufr hair and circumcise.” It is only recommended according to Hanafi’s and Maleki’s, because they consider the above-mentioned Hadith as weak. Imam Ash-Shawkani also favors this opinion. They all base their opinion on an authentic Hadith reported by Imam Bukhari and Muslim that the Prophet Muhammad ( sal-lal-lahu alai hi wa sallam) said that five acts are considered from the (Sunan) Al-Fitrah and he mentioned circumcision as one of them. Since this Hadith does not include any commands, it is proof that it is a recommended act. The scholars who preferred it to be done on the seventh day after birth based their opinion (according to Imam Ash-Shawkani) on two weak Ahadith.

2/3. Shaving pubic hair and pulling out underarm hair: These are two recommended acts. If either hair is shaved, trimmed or pulled out, it will suffice. Based on an authentic Hadith reported by Imam Bukhari and Muslim that the Prophet Muhammad ( sal-lal-lahu alai hi wa sallam) said that five acts are considered from the (Sunan) Al-Fitrah and he mentioned shaving the pubic hair and pulling out the underarm hair as two of them. It is preferred that they are removed whenever they get long, not exceeding forty days. In an authentic Hadith reported by Ahmad, Abu Da’ud and others that Anass ( (Rahmatullahi Allaih).A.) said: “The time period for us to trim the moustache, cut the nails, pluck out the underarm hair and cut the pubic hair was forty nights.”

4/5. Clipping one’s fingernails and toenails, and trimming or shaving his mustache: Based on an authentic Hadith reported by Imam Bukhari and Muslim that the Prophet Muhammad ( sal-lal-lahu alai hi wa sallam) said that five acts are considered from the (Sunan) Al-Fitrah and he mentioned clipping one’s fingernails and toenails, and trimming or shaving his mustache as two of them. It is preferred that they are removed whenever they get long, not exceeding forty days as reported in the Hadith by Anass ( (Rahmatullahi Allaih).A.) mentioned above in 2&3.

6. Letting the beard grow and become thick: It’s prohibited to shave it according to the opinion of the four scholars, because it is considered as changing Allah’s creation of the male and imitation of the female. In many authentic Ahadith, the Prophet Muhammad ( sal-lal-lahu alai hi wa sallam) ordered the believers to grow their beards. Among this is a Hadith reported by Imam Bukhari and Muslim that the Prophet Muhammad ( sal-lal-lahu alai hi wa sallam) said: “Be different from the Mushrikin (idolaters) and let your beards grow and trim your mustaches”. Imam Bukhari added “Ibn Umar ( (Rahmatullahi Allaih).A.) used to grab his beard with his full hand and trim any excess, after performing Hajj (pilgrimage to Makkah) or Umrah (a visit to Makkah different from Hajj)”. And the same act was done by Umar Ibn Al-Khattab and Abu Hurierah ( (Rahmatullahi Allaih).A.) during the life of the Prophet Muhammad ( sal-lal-lahu alai hi wa sallam).

7. Using the Siwak (a piece of a root of a tree called Al-Arak found in the region of Hejaz in the Arabian Peninsula): It is recommended whether the person is fasting or not, based on many authentic Ahadith like the one reported by Imam Bukhari and Imam Muslim that the Prophet ( sal-lal-lahu alai hi wa sallam) said: “Had I not feared burdening my Ummah (Muslims), I would have ordered them to use the Siwak before every prayer.” In another narration reported by Imam Ahmad “… to use the Siwak with every ablution.” The Prophet Muhammad ( sal-lal-lahu alai hi wa sallam) used the Siwak when he entered his home and when he woke up for the Tahajjud (late night prayers). If a Siwak is not available, it can be replaced with a toothbrush or any similar object to clean one’s teeth.

http://kgn786.com/forum/index.php?topic=6302.0

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have an Egyptian friend who said he shaved because of religion - something he was told by his father as a teen. He does it now more because he likes it. I heard that Turkish men, when they are joining the military, are required to shave their body hair but I don't know if that's factual or not.

JaimeB

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
thanks to all of you who responded. i'm impressed that it's really true.

i have a friend who's afghani-american and a practicing muslim, and since i posted here i asked him about this. he told me he usually just trims his pubes to keep them very short, but occasionally, he shaves them off completely.

maybe i'll ask him if he knows other muslim guys who do the same. i didn't think he kept a lot of old customs, bcuz he is young and very modern in a lot of his attitudes... i have to say, i admire him for caring for his genitals' appearance, and especially that he does this for religious reasons.

i spend time with him talking from time to time, and i think spending time with him from now on will be more pleasurable bcuz i know we share something kind of intimate...