Is suicide ever okay?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by wallyj84, Nov 22, 2010.

1. wallyj84

Gold Member

Like it says in the title, is suicide ever okay?

What's your opinion?

2. ModestToo

ModestToo New Member

It's quitting on your one chance to experience conciousness/self-awareness. Seems like a waste of a unique opportunity. They'll be plenty of time to stay dead later, might as well live while you can.

3. CapAmerica

CapAmerica Member

4. DasLeezard

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I had it set up for assisted suicide when I was told my cancer was terminal, which is the main reason why I moved to Washington State. I was in pain, puking every hour, couldn't eat, my hair was all but gone, my system was fried, my skin (yes, my skin) was brittle. Hospice was going to be set up for me to suffer my final days in a 'homey' place where someone might get attached to me and watch me suffer until I die, since I don't have family that wanted to deal with it.

So do I condone suicide? If you kill or rape children, by all means, take yourself out. Please. If you're suffering from cancer, terminal, sick, miserable, puking, 100% sure you are going to die from it, weigh your options. I was going to die. The doctors knew I was going to die. I'm still here.

Other than that, no. Nothing is going that terribly that you have to take yourself out.

5. cocktaste

Gold Member

A lot of people see suicide as a selfish act, but it truly is not. People who commit suicide, are usually not in touch with reality. They really aren't able to make a thought out choice. It ticks me off when people ask why they should feel sorry for someone who committed suicide, since it affected their family and friends so. It's just not so. It's the same as having cancer. You really have no control over the mind.

6. overninept5

overninept5 New Member

Albums:
    no no and no!

7. wallyj84

Gold Member

Assisted suicide for health reasons is one type of suicide that I definitely support. Thanks for the interesting perspective.

I have attempted suicide before in the past, so I'm a little bit ambivalent towards taking your own life. I could never tell someone that suicide was a good choice for them, but I can never fault someone for wanting to kill themselves.

8. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

If you are reading this and considering suicide, it's usually because you're severely depressed. That's an illness that can be cured. It's very hard to do something about it if you're depressed. However, instead of taking the mental energy to plan how to end your life, spend the same mental energy telling yourself you have a temporary situation ... and then ask for help.

9. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

I'm not entirely sure what suicide being okay would mean. Does the question ask me if I think it's acceptable for people to take their own lives under any circumstances? Because regardless of my opinion on whether or not another person's reasons for taking their own life were reasonable ultimately it's none of my business what another human being does to themselves and I have even less business judging them for deciding to take their own life.

But were I to be suffering from a very painful and debilitating terminal disease I would take my own life, or seek assisted suicide yes.

I would hope that were I suffering from depressive and suicidal thoughts that I would seek help before acting on those thoughts, in fact I'm sure I probably would because I understand how chemical imbalances in the brain can cause distortions in one's perception of reality, distortions which might provoke one into taking precipitate action.

However I'm also quite sure that in other extreme situations I might view taking my life as the best option. Most of these situations are so unlikely that they'll never happen, but I'd take my own life if in doing so I avoided a worse death such as starvation, torture, immolation etc.

10. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree.

It's more a case of is it understandable, than is it ok? I think it usually is better to carry on, and there's often a way out even if difficult, but...I can understand people feeling trapped, despair, like there's no way out, no way forward and no way of bearing it. It's a terrible shame and I hope people can always find help, but I certainly wouldn't judge people who felt they had no option.

11. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Usually, no. But I am willing to make exceptions.

12. PunkJohn

PunkJohn New Member

Albums:
    no I do not agree with SUICIDE!

13. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

What does that even MEAN?

14. erratic

Gold Member

Is it okay? That's kind of vague, but generally speaking...well, no. Suicide is a response to something really shitty. So no matter why you're killing yourself the whole situation is not okay. It's always sad.

Is it ever a reasonable way out of your trouble? I don't believe so - not for people who are mentally ill or under enormous emotional stress. If your capacity for judgment is compromised then suicide is a decision too big for you to make at that time. In my opinion. I also don't believe in suicide over social disapproval - killing yourself because you've shamed your family or what have you.

But if you're going to die anyway - soon and horribly - then the question is different. I'm talking medically assisted suicide here, or choosing between burning to death in a high-rise or jumping. I think it's totally reasonable for people to choose their preferred method if they're definitely dying soon anyway.

That all said, this is an inherently moral argument. Suicide has different value and degrees of stigmatisation in different cultures, so you'll get all kinds of opinions.

#14 erratic, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  15. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

This is one of those really stupid threads that I hate most. The OP is asking for a concise answer to a question of unfathomable dimensions. Asking stupid questions only adds to the ambiguity and confusion.

16. jockstrapfetish

Do you really need someone to tell you?

17. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I disagree. I feel that suicide is incredibly selfish because the person is only thinking of themselves and what they want, and not anyone else. I agree that they aren't necessarily in their right mind, but that doesn't make it not selfish imo. Before I get flamed, let me say that I've had two people very close in my life commit suicide. So I have experienced it.

I agree with this. I think in extreme medical cases, ending your life early to avoid the suffering is probably okay.

This sums it up nicely. :tongue:

There are no stupid questions, my dear. I don't think he's asking for a concise answer, I think he just wants us to talk about it. :smile:

No, he doesn't NEED someone to tell him. He was asking opinions. Is that a problem?

18. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

To ask if suicide is OK makes it sound like it's a well-thought-out option. However, most people who start considering suicide do so because they are in incredible pain of some sort.

Depression is a crippling disease, and when depressed folks ask "Is suicide OK?" often the REAL question is, "I don't see any other options, what can I do?"

19. Charles Finn

Gold Member

Albums:
    too many friends and family that have killed themselves
    one of my fathers did shoot and kill himself last year after getting his affairs in order.
    Freddy Mercury said it best
    dont try suicide.

20. Charles Finn

Gold Member

Albums:
    and yes it is selfish whatever you are going through get help
    who are you to decide that you know better than your higher power.
    put it in your higher powers hands
    our god wants us to be happy
    pain can be managed

Draft saved Draft deleted