Is Suicide the Answer When It All get's Too Much?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Never saw the movie. Speaking as one who has long battled depression, but never been suicidal. I say no. Suicide is never the answer.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If you are in severe pain with cancer eating you alive and euthanasia is not available, and there is no hope, it can be an answer.

For depression it is never a good answer.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you are in severe pain with cancer eating you alive and euthanasia is not available, and there is no hope, it can be an answer.

OK good answer. What about everyday things that just mount up on you and pile up? This movie is a good example of that

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
OK good answer. What about everyday things that just mount up on you and pile up? This movie is a good example of that
Things never mount of to the level where it should be considered. If you need to blow them off then do it. Throw some clothes in a bag and dissappear to somewhere else.

it is like leaving in the middle of a movie. You really don't know what the ending is. It could suck, but it could be great, but you will never know, nor will the people around you.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I'm away and I don't have time to watch the clip but I can tell you my short version. I once tried to commit suicide. I was 17 and very young but very serious and very committed and it was no cry for help. Having been there, I will never go there again because I know it was the product of misdirected thinking, romanticiscm, inexperience and youth.

However, I do believe that suicide is a viable option in certain circumstances. In cases of unremitting, incurable pain, for instance. Where no hope is possible. We are a society that is kinder to its animals than we are to its old and its sick. And if my mother's laptop had spellcheck I would use the word I'm looking for.

Think about it: kind and reasonable and timely deaths ought to be a part of life. If they will not be provided for us, there are times where they may have to be taken into and by our own hands.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
if my mother's laptop had spellcheck I would use the word I'm looking for.
Euthanasia? I used to know a resident of the U.K. who went to Switzerland to be offed because of incurable stomach cancer. I understood his need because he could not eat or sleep laying down. It took a lot longer than he had hoped, more than six months - I think actually the better part of a year. You have to get provisional Swiss citizenship. The application process was lengthy.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Euthanasia? I used to know a resident of the U.K. who went to Switzerland to be offed because of incurable stomach cancer. I understood his need because he could not eat or sleep laying down. It took a lot longer than he had hoped, more than six months - I think actually the better part of a year. You have to get provisional Swiss citizenship. The application process was lengthy.
OK I'm sorry please explain b/c that post I can't even decipher what you meant. It must just be me.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am certain suicide is the right answer for some, and I do not judge - as it is always their choice, not mine. (I believe in full body autonomy)

However, as someone who lost a dear friend to suicide, and still feel the loss of him in my life regularly. It might be selfish, but I wish he had taken those he left behind into consideration before he made the decision.

Snozzle

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have lost two good acquaintances and one friend to suicide, and in each case they had no objective justification.

One had had an oppressive boss, but he had just resigned and had qualifications that would take him anywhere. He had a good relationship (or so it seemed), a great home and gave no warning.

One had a spot of bad luck - applied for training, resigned his job, been turned down for the training - but he too had plenty of options. He had depression in his history, but wasn't showing it at the time.

The friend was talented but stubborn, wanted it all now but wouldn't do the hard yards to get there. An inventor, he never seemed to finish anything or follow through on anything. But he could have built up his resources if he'd accepted some work that was less inspring than he liked. I think if he'd seen the ghastly smarmy funeral his estranged religious family inflicted on him and us, he wouldn't have done it.

So I don't think suicide was the right answer for any of them, but that's the thing, once it's done, there's no talking them out of it.

DGirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh DAMN!!
I remember that movie...
The whole damn movie the momma tried to talk her out of it.
But, she went into the bathroom and still did herself in!!
I know when I was growing up I wanted so badly to get out of Kansas City, Mo.
I did want to KILL myself because I did not want to marry a loser in Mo and have a LOSERS children. Like my friends and sisters did. I wanted to live my life without being tied down. REALLY!
I was so ANGRY that I failed the asvab and I wanted to LEAVE Mo!
Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I did not want to work a DEAD end job all of my life. But, my momma told me about the hardships that grandpa went through and to keep taking the test. I will have to pass at least one! Thank GOD my momma knows me. She was the ONLY one that knows, my damn brother that I am close to don't even know. You all, my hubby does not even know this and I tell him just about everything. I could not tell the NAVY when I FINALLY got in that I had those thoughts in the past. If you would tell them that you had thoughts of Suicide, YOUR OUT!! I know of a White chick from Mo that I met when we got to boot camp and she told them the damn truth! They booted her out and I have no clue whatever happened to her. I know she was crying her damn eyes out. But, I was not going to do that! That is what I wanted, to be in the damn Navy!! Why tell them so they can KICK me out? I loved that I had 8 HAPPY years with them, the Navy.

Then I had the thoughts again when I went to Japan 2004. I just got out of the Navy to become a wife. I was so unhappy that I was not getting pregnant because we would have sex when he got back ( but, no baby) and on top of that, I had to leave my 2 cats in Kansas city with my momma. I missed them so damn MUCH! Then on top of that! My hubby was always gone on his damn ship and we just got married. I HATE to sleep ALONE! Then on top of that I was not getting a damn Job fast enough.I needed money to pay my mommas rent. Hubby was paying it at that time. I cried a WHOLE lot when I first got to Japan. But, I remembered about the first time I wanted to do it. I remembered what my momma told me about NOT giving up and to let things fall into place and so on.
Yes, I read my Bible and it is a HUGE SIN to do yourself in. That also, played a part in it, for me not doing that to myself.
Then we got to Hawaii I was just SAD. But, I have my hubby with me. I still miss my twin cats. We cat sat for one person and I had to have a CAT in the house. So we got Stormy. I still want a baby, I still miss the twins. But, I am thankful that I had a great LIFE and want to keep having that great life with my husband and SOON we will have the twins back! So why should I be sad?

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

I agree on the Cancer part.

I have to disagree on the depression part.

Depression can consume a person so severely that the pain and suffering isn't worth trying to sustain. Especially when no medications help.

Just my .02

psidom

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
when the nazi's have you in a camp and all you have is you...

that is the only time i see it being appropriate.
or if my gf/wife died.

D_Penruddick Middlefinger

Account Disabled
Media
If suicide is the answer, the question is probably pretty stupid. It's the supreme act of selfishness. It exemplifies what I call the law of the conservation of suffering. Not unlike the law of concerning the conservation of mass (i.e., mass is never created or destroyed, but merely changes forms), I maintain that suffering is never created or destroyed, but rather is transferred from one person to another. In the case of the suicide, the person in question is so consumed with suffering that they end their lives. That suffering is transferred to those family, friends, and loved ones who then must live with the agony of that loss for the rest of their lives. Thus, suicide is the supreme act of selfishness, as it callously ignores the irreparable pain and suffering that will be transferred to and/or inflicted upon those who survive the suicide.

D

deleted15807

It's valid decision. It's not like you're going to live forever and you're ending that possibility. As for those that are so called 'left behind' death is just a part of life. Grow up.