Is the sky blue?

Is the Sky blue?

• Total voters

Make'nItLong

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.

However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches you. Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.

Or so I learned...

What mercurialbliss said...

huw ginnit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Grey grey grey.

or could it be GrAy????

I always wondered what kind of reactions teachers would give a child if it had been raised to think differently about colours..I'm colour blind, like 3/4 of the men here, and always thought why red was red and why, where the blueiness of blue came from and how it affected mood...when what I saw was RED or blue. Mum pointed to an orange, said orange cause it was the colour orange, my wellies were green I could see that, she'd told me so often enough, yet when I put on a green jumper, other people tell me it's brown.... Huh?

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.

However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches you. Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.

Or so I learned...
Thank you, and thank grade 12 Biology.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes.

The bluest sky I've ever seen was when I was hiking in southern Utah. On a clear day, and at an elevation of about 8000 feet, the sky is such an intense blue it's almost painful to look at.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Technically speaking, no. It certainly does appear to be blue, however.
So, what's the difference between "is blue" and "appears blue"? Anything appears to be whatever color it appears to be, due to the wavelength of light our eyes receive from it... so, technically, nothing is any color, it just appears that way.

I guess it all depends upon what the definition of "is" is...

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
The sky is normally a wonderful shade of turquoise blue around here. Today, however, it's a peaceful shade of powder blue, with lovely cotton-like clouds sprinkled about.