Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
This is a clip that I received from one of my email lists. It's from the new show 'Louie' on Fox had a scene where the star of the show, Louis CK, and some other stand-up comedians are playing poker and talking about, well, stuff comedians would talk about while playing poker. It is pointed out that one of them is gay, and the discussion turns from jerk clubs to the use of the word 'faggot' in stand-up.

What I noticed was how one of them was very uncomfortable talking about it, while the others had a great and funny exchange about it.

When's The Last Time You Told Your Straight Buddies About Gay Sex Clubs? / Queerty

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

Thank you Sir :smile:

I have to say, I'm divided on this question. For me, it depends on when, where and how it's used.

It's always been my personal opinion, that in comedy, the boundaries are far more wide spread. I try to be able to laugh at myself, along with others.

A little secret....while in real life, I find the word faggot offensive, the word "queer" makes me cringe more, yet many feel that is the best terminology :confused:

Funny creatures we are, aren't we? :wink:

D_Budd_Hert

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Never !! ok! Now I have a question ? " Dick Diamond ?!?! " how do U measure one ? anyone what the value is ? are Dick Diamonds measured by Carat or Wt ?

dad4you

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No, calling a Gay man a faggot is like calling a Black man a Nigger, a Latino a Wetback, an Italian a Spic, an Irishman a Mick, etc. It is an epithet that is VERY offensive to me.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
No, calling a Gay man a faggot is like calling a Black man a Nigger, a Latino a Wetback, an Italian a Spic, an Irishman a Mick, etc. It is an epithet that is VERY offensive to me.

Italians are guineas or WOPs (With Out Papers): Spics are Hispanic.

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm a gay guy who is self-assured enough that the term "faggot" or "fag" does not bother me at all. If people don't like me because I'm a fag, that's THEIR problem, not mine.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I always thought the word itself-- phonetically-- sounded pretty funny. But there are very few situations in which I could laugh at the use of the word.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I don't think Faggot is funny because it doesn't have funny syllables but Fag is hilarious as is faggy.

I actually find it hard to be offended by any homophobic names themselves, what offends me is how they're used. If someone means nothing by it, or is being funny I barely notice them, but when someone is clearly using them to express hate it's the hate or ignorance I find offensive.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't think Faggot is funny because it doesn't have funny syllables but Fag is hilarious as is faggy.

I actually find it hard to be offended by any homophobic names themselves, what offends me is how they're used. If someone means nothing by it, or is being funny I barely notice them, but when someone is clearly using them to express hate it's the hate or ignorance I find offensive.

I very much agree with you but I know that many others find it very offensive whatever the context. That is the reason behind my earlier post in this thread.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No' cant say i have ever found it funny'
more/or just as offensive as say .. Queer
when younger it hurt more and i do feel for those now who are hurt by such talk.
not totally averse to it tho, as it does give cause to Challenge the person who has said it, and i usually win
unforunate thing is i think, there is no equivalent derogatory for Str's , i can hit back with, hah
(generally dont need to btw .. after i have chastised the speaker of..ha)
enz

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I never cared much about how people called me, it`s the always the things people DO that bother me. I have never had a problem being who I am but other people seem to have trouble because I`m so comfortable in my skin.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I very much agree with you but I know that many others find it very offensive whatever the context. That is the reason behind my earlier post in this thread.

See and as with the use of the N word by black people there are plenty of funny uses to which we gays put words like Faggot.

I get what you mean though, in mixed company the interpretation of words like Faggot can be variable. Some gay people don't like it fullstop, no matter who's using it or how. To use it you either have to not care about how people will take it or know exactly how they will take it.

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I never cared much about how people called me, it`s the always the things people DO that bother me. I have never had a problem being who I am but other people seem to have trouble because I`m so comfortable in my skin.

Till the poachers get to ya :tongue: