Is The Word Faggot Funny?

Gecko4lif

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think it is quite funny

but then again I have been desensitized to all forms of verbal abuse and pejorative labeling.

Words only have as much power as you let them have, very cliche thing to say but it is still very much true.

All in all sad state of the world isnt it.

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Growing up being called that as a basis of insults when I was still a lot younger, which also almost led me to hate gays altogether, this word is not and never ever in the future would it be funny in any sense.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's a word I don't like. I believe it was Ellen who said that she was tired of "gay" being the punchline and I'd have to agree.

Last edited:

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I don't find the word gay to sound funny, but the actual sound of the word faggot makes your ears perk up. It rhymes with a couple of other words that also sound funny but aren't necessarily humorous in nature on their own.

I hate it when i hear it from religious people, but when gay people say it, it turns a negative connotation into something powerless as an insult to the people who originally created it to hurt others.

On another forum redheads are called Daywalkers and Gingers, if i said what Mickactual said "It isn't funny to this ginger" it would have a new meaning to others, whereas if i went on about how much my feelings are hurt by it compared to laughing at how stupid it sounds to call people that in a serious insulting manner i would get a different set of responses.

I find the term Fag Hag to be funny. I think i heard a gay man say that the first time, someone else said Fruit Fly, that isn't as catchy because it doesn't rhyme like Fag Hag does.

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I'm not sure the word "faggot" was meant to be funny.

Definitions of faggot:

ornament or join (fabric) by faggot stitch; "He fagotted the blouse for his wife"
fastened together rods of iron in order to heat or weld them
faggot: offensive term for an openly homosexual man
bind or tie up in or as if in a faggot; "faggot up the sticks"
faggot: a bundle of sticks and branches bound together

Straight from Princeton's lips/fingers to our ears/eyes.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Faggot has a range of meanings in British English.

First of all it is something you eat. The biggest supplier of faggots is a company called Brain, so Brain's Faggots is part of the language: Mr. Brains 4 Faggots In Rich Sauce 378g product information - Tesco.com

It has a host of other harmless meanings. For example many rural dialects use faggot for a bundle of fire wood. Faggoting is an embroidery term, so it is a word great aunt Maud might use.

There's also public school use of the word (public=private). A fag or faggot is someone who does jobs for a prefect, which is part of the fag system. I suppose this is the origin of the sexual meaning, but its older (harmless) meaning hasn't entirely been lost. And in the UK a fag is a cigarette. Faggled out (tired out) is completely non-sexual.

Is faggot funny? Maybe. It all depends on the context. It certainly can be most offensive, but often isn't. And there has to be humour in Brain's Faggots.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Faggot has a range of meanings in British English.

First of all it is something you eat. The biggest supplier of faggots is a company called Brain, so Brain's Faggots is part of the language: Mr. Brains 4 Faggots In Rich Sauce 378g product information - Tesco.com

It has a host of other harmless meanings. For example many rural dialects use faggot for a bundle of fire wood. Faggoting is an embroidery term, so it is a word great aunt Maud might use.

There's also public school use of the word (public=private). A fag or faggot is someone who does jobs for a prefect, which is part of the fag system. I suppose this is the origin of the sexual meaning, but its older (harmless) meaning hasn't entirely been lost. And in the UK a fag is a cigarette. Faggled out (tired out) is completely non-sexual.

Is faggot funny? Maybe. It all depends on the context. It certainly can be most offensive, but often isn't. And there has to be humour in Brain's Faggots.

Oh yeah! That reminds me in addition to all the traditional English meanings like the ones you mention Jason, which I grew up with, when I moved to Ireland I discovered people used Faggot to mean something different again. It's still and insult but has nothing to do with homosexuality. People here sometimes use faggot to mean something like "dumbass" or "pusillanimous idiot" with the connotation of "cunning bastard".

big_tits4big_dicks

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have yet to see anyone compare it to the word "bitch" which I think is interesting. That is a word that was once such an insult! Now, "what up, bitch?" Is generally how I greet all my girlfriends. Of course, here in LA cunt has become passe. The more shocking the better it seems. I think this is good just so we can all become desensitized a bit and not get offended.