Is Therapy over used?

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Reading this and other fora I see lots of references to Therapy. Without detracting from anyone's issues I wonder if people become too reliant. There's no doubt that some people need the help of a therapist at times. It seems to me though that some people run to a therapist for help in dealing with the normal trials and tribulations that life throws at most people. Once there do they get into the trap of needing the therapist every time they hit a problem?

As I said before I have no doubt that therapists play a necessary role in some people's lives and in no way am I criticising people for using their services.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think every crutch available is being overused in our modern society now.

Life's not a bed of roses for most of us. Some of us (probably me for one) will never be happy. I think we just have to accept that.

I personally have never accepted what therapists do as being very scientific.
I have very little faith in them at all. I also don't accept a life propped up by drugs of any kind.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'd rather be on medication and in therapy than in my grandfather's shoes drinking too much to self-medicate, ending up in psych wards, and getting shock treatments.

Which is to say, I think we're lucky to have ways of dealing with psychological and psychiatric problems in our society, even if they aren't perfect. I'd rather them be overused while we're figuring out how all this works than not available.

I don't know, maybe some people use therapy as a crutch, or do it and get nothing out of it, but when it works, it can really help. There is some science behind therapy also. Where one used to talk to a pastor, priest, etc., in our increasingly isolated and specialized world they talk to someone who deals with issues of the heart, mind, and soul.

None of it bothers me, really. I'm glad to have it all.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Reading this and other fora I see lots of references to Therapy. Without detracting from anyone's issues I wonder if people become too reliant. There's no doubt that some people need the help of a therapist at times. It seems to me though that some people run to a therapist for help in dealing with the normal trials and tribulations that life throws at most people. :rolleyes: Yes, that is because the allegedly normal trials and tribulations of life are enormous these days. The old way of getting by with a built in supprt network of family and friends doesn't exist anymore. Heck the nuclear family went out with the pillbox hat. Once there do they get into the trap of needing the therapist every time they hit a problem?
As I said before I have no doubt that therapists play a necessary role in some people's lives and in no way am I criticising people for using their services.
DaveyR, I realize you say you didn't mean to, but you do sound a bit condescending. :redface:

I think every crutch available is being overused in our modern society now.
Life's not a bed of roses for most of us. Some of us (probably me for one) will never be happy. I think we just have to accept that.

I personally have never accepted what therapists do as being very scientific.
I have very little faith in them at all. I also don't accept a life propped up by drugs of any kind.
For a smart man you sure are rejecting a lot of things that could help you. I'm begining to think you don't really want to be happy.

Judging by your recent posts it seems you are content to live out your days as a black hole of self-pity, despair; and neediness. :mad:

Isn't that just American society/culture?
Hey! I thought you were going to stop America bashing!?:mad::confused::eek:

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DaveyR, I realize you say you didn't mean to, but you do sound a bit condescending. :redface:

Well it certainly wasn't meant to be but if you choose to read it that way then that is your prerogative. :rolleyes:

Perhaps I should have just made an assumption that Americans rely too much on therapy rather than asking the question.

sbeBen

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
njq Sorry but it's a well known fact that the impression we get from the media is that "I'm gonna see my therapist" or "I'm gonna see my shrink" is typical of American way of life. True or false? You decide! Let us know. We is only being honest.

sbeBen

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

For a smart man you sure are rejecting a lot of things that could help you. I'm begining to think you don't really want to be happy.

Judging by your recent posts it seems you are content to live out your days as a black hole of self-pity, despair; and neediness. :mad:

Hey! I thought you were going to stop America bashing!?:mad::confused::eek:
I did not for one minute think I was America bashing! Why so hostile? I did write the scentence as a question and not a statement of fact. I'm sorry if you have taken offence to this but none was inteded:smile:

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

After all these years I have lost hope. I have all but given up entirely...

sbeBen

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
After all these years I have lost hope. I have all but given up entirely...
Make improvements as slow as you like and take pride in everything you do Viking! Many of us have been near or where you are right now although no one ever will know exactly how you feel. The only person to help you is ....YOU!:wink:

sbeBen

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I love my therapist! Heh haven't seen her for .. well 6 months at least.
That is exactly what DaveyR and I are talking about. You say "my therapist" and "havent seen her for ......")
In the UK people don't expect to hear that kind of talk. We generally don't have our own therapists.

njq has taken the hump but all DaveyR wanted to know was your opinions.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
That is exactly what DaveyR and I are talking about. You say "my therapist" and "havent seen her for ......")
In the UK people don't expect to hear that kind of talk. We generally don't have our own therapists.

njq has taken the hump but all DaveyR wanted to know was your opinions.
I'm Canadian... don't group me with the Americans...
Therapy may be over used... but generally people have a set time frame with one... say 6-12 sessions. I was a different case.. I had no friend or family support so I got to see her long term to try and work through being abused and being diagnosed with a personality disorder.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well it certainly wasn't meant to be but if you choose to read it that way then that is your prerogative. :rolleyes:
Perhaps I should have just made an assumption that Americans rely too much on therapy rather than asking the question.
No, because that would have been the wrong assumption to make. When I first read just the title of this thread, my immediate answer was "No, not nearly enough people get the therapy they need."

njqt Sorry but it's a well known fact that the impression we get from the media is that "I'm gonna see my therapist" or "I'm gonna see my shrink" is typical of American way of life.
Sheesh, I don't know enough about you to make a character judgementshinybellend, but thought that you had better sense than to think that all media portrayals of American life are true!:eek::confused: about True or false? FALSE! You decide! Let us know. We is only being honest.