Is Therapy over used?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by DaveyR, Oct 14, 2007.

1. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Reading this and other fora I see lots of references to Therapy. Without detracting from anyone's issues I wonder if people become too reliant. There's no doubt that some people need the help of a therapist at times. It seems to me though that some people run to a therapist for help in dealing with the normal trials and tribulations that life throws at most people. Once there do they get into the trap of needing the therapist every time they hit a problem?

As I said before I have no doubt that therapists play a necessary role in some people's lives and in no way am I criticising people for using their services.

2. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Eh.... I could say that yes, it's probably a bit overused... but on the flip side, I think medications are a much worse dilemma in our society... I'd rather have people overuse therapy than psych meds.

3. viking1

Gold Member

I think every crutch available is being overused in our modern society now.

Life's not a bed of roses for most of us. Some of us (probably me for one) will never be happy. I think we just have to accept that.

I personally have never accepted what therapists do as being very scientific.
    I have very little faith in them at all. I also don't accept a life propped up by drugs of any kind.

4. sbeBen

sbeBen New Member

Isn't that just American society/culture?

5. B_Jennuine73

B_Jennuine73 New Member

If you are using therapy to get by, not working for yourself, it's not going to work anyway.

6. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Well SBE it's easy for us Brits to get that impression so that's why I asked the question in the first place.

7. viking1

Gold Member

It's probably worse here, as is most every other superficial crutch...

8. snoozan

Gold Member

I'd rather be on medication and in therapy than in my grandfather's shoes drinking too much to self-medicate, ending up in psych wards, and getting shock treatments.

Which is to say, I think we're lucky to have ways of dealing with psychological and psychiatric problems in our society, even if they aren't perfect. I'd rather them be overused while we're figuring out how all this works than not available.

I don't know, maybe some people use therapy as a crutch, or do it and get nothing out of it, but when it works, it can really help. There is some science behind therapy also. Where one used to talk to a pastor, priest, etc., in our increasingly isolated and specialized world they talk to someone who deals with issues of the heart, mind, and soul.

None of it bothers me, really. I'm glad to have it all.

9. Principessa

Gold Member

DaveyR, I realize you say you didn't mean to, but you do sound a bit condescending. :redface:

For a smart man you sure are rejecting a lot of things that could help you. I'm begining to think you don't really want to be happy.

Judging by your recent posts it seems you are content to live out your days as a black hole of self-pity, despair; and neediness. :mad:

Hey! I thought you were going to stop America bashing!?:mad::confused::eek:

10. sbeBen

sbeBen New Member

Yeh I know, I'm a dumb ass!:biggrin1:

11. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Well it certainly wasn't meant to be but if you choose to read it that way then that is your prerogative. :rolleyes:

Perhaps I should have just made an assumption that Americans rely too much on therapy rather than asking the question.

12. sbeBen

sbeBen New Member

njq Sorry but it's a well known fact that the impression we get from the media is that "I'm gonna see my therapist" or "I'm gonna see my shrink" is typical of American way of life. True or false? You decide! Let us know. We is only being honest.

13. sbeBen

sbeBen New Member

I did not for one minute think I was America bashing! Why so hostile? I did write the scentence as a question and not a statement of fact. I'm sorry if you have taken offence to this but none was inteded:smile:

14. viking1

Gold Member

After all these years I have lost hope. I have all but given up entirely...

15. sbeBen

sbeBen New Member

Make improvements as slow as you like and take pride in everything you do Viking! Many of us have been near or where you are right now although no one ever will know exactly how you feel. The only person to help you is ....YOU!:wink:

16. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I love my therapist! Heh haven't seen her for .. well 6 months at least.

17. sbeBen

sbeBen New Member

That is exactly what DaveyR and I are talking about. You say "my therapist" and "havent seen her for ......")
    In the UK people don't expect to hear that kind of talk. We generally don't have our own therapists.

njq has taken the hump but all DaveyR wanted to know was your opinions.

18. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I'm Canadian... don't group me with the Americans...
    Therapy may be over used... but generally people have a set time frame with one... say 6-12 sessions. I was a different case.. I had no friend or family support so I got to see her long term to try and work through being abused and being diagnosed with a personality disorder.

19. Principessa

Gold Member

No, because that would have been the wrong assumption to make. When I first read just the title of this thread, my immediate answer was "No, not nearly enough people get the therapy they need."

20. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

It's true so many more Canadians have mental health issues that are undiagnosed...

Draft saved Draft deleted