is there a difference?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by D_gollafoble, Dec 10, 2008.

1. D_gollafoble

D_gollafoble New Member

My question to all lpsg members would have to be is there really a difference between being cute, handsome, and good looking, and what I mean is, is one better then the other?:cool:

2. B_4inches

B_4inches New Member

Depends on what you want at that moment (social context) and what you want over all. And yes, there is a differance. Theres also some overlay of the 3 ie a person can look or appear a differant way depending on many factors behaviour, clothing etc. Can also be more than one of those at a time too.

3. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I'm generally referred to as cute, but rarely beautiful (like only by two people), but I think each found me equally attractive - so, to me, it doesn't make a difference.

Btw, I still think you are cute! :08:

Eta: Just told that I'm sexy in my cuteness.

4. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

All mean the same thing to me... if i think the words are not good enough then i use 'fit', sometimes 'hot' or 'buff' although many may argue that they use these terms to describe a good looking body

5. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    hey Mac -
    that's a good question and one i have often wondered about myself. I hope more people respond. I am curious to know what the ladies think about this.
    I have always gotten cute, then beautiful, then handsome. I don't know what the difference is and which one is 'best' to be considered.

6. Scrufuss

Scrufuss New Member

Cute would be your kitten or Keanu Reeves

Handsome would be a Yellow Lab or Christian Bale

Good looking would be This Guy

7. avg_joe

Gold Member

There is no difference to me.

8. vergax

vergax Member

Albums:
    Does your order imply growing relevance?
    Because for me in order from less to more it would be:
    cute---------->good looking------------------>handsome

luckily, i am the 3 of them together and perfected :cool: heheh

9. Nala

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    For me there's a slight difference between the words.

Cute = nice, sweet, like kids can be cute, or your pet.

Good looking = overall picture, looks good.

Handsome = beautiful.

Reminder: English is not my native language.

10. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Well when I was younger people told me I was cute, as I got older I was told I was handsome, I think the next step on the ladder is distinguished. And I suppose that is followed by not bad for his age.

11. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

Children and animals are cute. Men are handome, women are beautiful and if you have a mix of men and women they are good looking.

12. cgttown

cgttown Member

Albums:
    cute definitely has an age component. Now that I'm in my forties, I'm not called cute anymore, but in college, yeah.

Good looking means, to me, basically attractive. It can encompass lots of things (good build, attractive face, warm smile, well-groomed, etc.). Actually, I think many many are attractive, but fewer are "good looking."

Handsome is much rarer, in my opinion, and seems to connote classic good looks, well-proportioned features, broad shoulders, narrow waist, and particularly attractive features.

Brad Pitt is handsome, as is George Clooney.

13. Scrufuss

Scrufuss New Member

Nope. sometimes a cute guy can b cuter then a handsome guy is handsome so maybe there can be a relevance as the situation unfolds... Who knows?

14. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    to me, someone who is hot is someone you just fuck.

someone who is cute/beautiful/handsome is someone you date and bring home to mom

15. uberhund

uberhund Member

Actually I would agree with the 'equal but different' distinction above. Cute is boyish looking: I would totally agree with Keanu Reeves being in this category, also Matt LeBlanc (Joey from Friends). Handsome is a very masculine type of good looks, usually a more strong-featured face: I always think Rupert Everett is classically handsome. Good-looking for me is like 'attractive': it's a certain something not always associated with classical beauty: Vin Diesel is good-looking.

16. Principessa

Gold Member

Cute - Attractive or pleasing, especially in a dainty, childlike, quaint, or fun-spirited way.
    Chris Lowell is cute.
    Reese Witherspoon is also cute.

Handsome - fine-looking, good-looking, better-looking, handsome, (pleasing in appearance especially by reason of conformity to ideals of form and proportion) "a fine-looking woman"; "a good-looking man"; "better-looking than her sister"; "very pretty but not so extraordinarily handsome"- Thackeray
    Colleen Dewhurst was a handsome woman.
    Cary Grant was a handsome man.

Good Looking - to me good looking is like an umbrella statement which covers a variety of attractive facial features.

:aargh4: Then you need a dictionary. So does that mean you will just fuck anything? :confused:

That's true but I hadn't considered that before.

Hmm, that's an interesting way to define it. :cool:

17. B_ClydeS

B_ClydeS New Member

Growing up, I was taught that "cute" is for children and animals. Handsome is for men or "not too feminine a woman." Good looking is for anyone whom one finds attractive.

18. heist

heist New Member

Albums:
    "Cute" has 2 meanings now -- one applies to kids/pets, and the other to people that are attractive in a youthful way. It's probably part of the human tendency to like things that resemble children in some way (look up neoteny and pedomorphosis). On the other hand, "handsome," when applied to men, refers to a more classical attractiveness -- the idealized "man" in early- to mid-20th century pop culture.

That said, since the definitions don't overlap, I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. After all, that's where terms like "hot" (sexualized attractiveness) and "beautiful" (non-sexualized attractiveness) come in. They and their synonyms express the pinnacle of attractiveness.

And the terms can come together or not (as in someone who is both cute and hot, or only handsome, or whatever other combinations) -- it depends on the situation. Also, a given person can shift from one type of attractiveness to another depending on the context -- for example, a guy can be cute and hot while on the beach, and become handsome and still hot later at dinner.

In the end, it comes down to what a person prefers. But really, if someone is saying that you're attractive, it shouldn't really matter which way it is -- in any case, it's a compliment, and you should be grateful.

19. flashguyuk

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Same here Nudeyorker, if i'm called cute now i take it with a pinch of salt,
    Cute is for the younger lads i think, handsome usualy means you lok a bit 'lived in' but not rough.

Draft saved Draft deleted