Is there any other reason to start smoking than...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mem, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

because you think it's the cool thing to do?

2. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Yes, there is.

3. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Well, what is the reason?

4. Osiris

Gold Member

I started (and have subsequently quit) out of extreme stress. I would often go drinking with friends and a cigarette went well with the cocktails.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the occasional good cigar, but I am not a regular smoker by any means.

5. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

6. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

Going against usual beliefs cigrette smoking does have some health benefits A long number of years ago a doctor advised me that the nicotene helps the digestive system I also know it help keep people from getting sicker since the tar seals the outside of the lungs making it impossible for dangerous germ to get in. Smoking 2 or 3 packs a day may be bad but a dozen cigarettes is good for you.

7. Rob_E

Staff Member Administrator

It is a misconception that smoking relieves stress. The reality is that it makes you more stressed because you are constantly worrying about your next cigarette. The only "benefit" from smoking is that it is passes the time, but when you think of all of the better things that you could be doing with your time, then that doesn't appear to be such a benefit. I once thought that it helped with dieting, but I found that I wanted to eat so that I could have the after meal cigarette. If you haven't started, don't ever start, and if you smoke now, my advice is to stop. Don't try to stop, just stop. I smoked for 14 years and stopping was the best thing I've done.

8. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Every time I try to quit, I turn into a psycho bitch from hell. I need to figure out how to NOT have that happen...

9. Osiris

Gold Member

Exactly why I stopped Rob. It's an illusion. The stress thing is the biggest lie in the smoking being a good thing debate. Now if I get stressed, I walk down to the lake, play with my kids, do something with the wife. You do thikngs that make you feel better to deal with stress.

Rob also makes the good point that if you do now, stop as soon as you can. There are enough things in our modern lives that can give us cancer, we don't need to help it along by smoking ourselves to death. And let's not forget all the crap the big cigarette companies have been adding to tobacco that is twice as deadly as the cigarettes themselves.

10. Osiris

Gold Member

More rough sex Meg. :wink:

11. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

A long number of years ago the smoking ads said that it was good for you.
    Addiced people wil try to rationalize something that they know will kill them.

I even spoke to a lady once who said that smoking is good for you, and that it does NOT cause cancer. I just pity people like her.

12. horneyoldguy

horneyoldguy New Member

Albums:
    Smoking is an addiction and, over time, can cause lung cancer, which is a horrible way to die.

13. avg_joe

Gold Member

100% agree !!!

14. D_Aston Asstonne

D_Aston Asstonne Account Disabled

ITs all in your head.i smoked for 17 years and quit cold turkey.you dont need patches,gum or the other bs.its all in your mind.

15. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    me too

16. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I saw the link here is what caught my eye.

"Peer pressure plays an important part. Many children start smoking because their friends have tried it or smoke themselves."

They think it's cool, and their friends tell them that they can be cool too if they smoke.

thank God that you have to be over 18 to buy cigs, at leat it may discourage some kids.

17. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Haha... that's a great theory... if only I could find a volunteer! :biggrin:

18. Osiris

Gold Member

*vigorously waving his hand*

ME, ME, ME! PICK ME!! Ut oh, the wife.

*puts hand down before wifey cuts it off*:biggrin1:

19. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

At the time I started smoking, I didn't have any friends that smoked. I did it purely to know what it was like. My friend was spending the night at my house, and my brother was home. He is a smoker. She and I started talking about smoking, and how both of our families were full of smokers. We didn't understand the interest in it. So we decided to find out for ourselves. We stole two of my brothers cigarettes, and told him we were going out for a walk. We hid behind two evergreen trees that were next to our apartment building and lit up. I've been addicted ever since. I absolutely loved it.

I don't know about other teenagers, but having to be 18 to purchase cigarettes didn't deter me one bit. We used to steal them. We used to stand outside of gas stations and ask cool-looking people to buy them for us. We had friends who were over 18 that bought them for us. I used to steal them from my mom a lot. I always had a way of getting cigarettes. At age 15, I started buying them for myself. I used to come home from school, get dressed up in nice clothes, apply some makeup, and go to K-Mart - they never carded me. They have much stricter laws now about carding people, which is good. Definitely an improvement! And the anti-smoking campaigns are helping a lot as well.

20. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Smart move. :wink:

Draft saved Draft deleted