Is this a scam of some sort?

D_Harry Bacque

Just Browsing
Media
My boyfriend drove to my house tonight and was only here for about an hour, between 330 and 430 am about, he parked in front of my driveway. When he left to go home, there was a note on his windshield saying that my boyfriend's car caused damage to this guy's car, that he wrote down my bf's license plate number and car make/model, and to call him at a number he left.

My boyfriend is a pretty good driver and would know if he hit anyones car, especially since this apparently happened right outside my house where he'd be going no more than 10-15 mph. For some reason this just sounds like a scam to me, he called the number and said it sounded like someone picked up then hung up but he wasn't sure. The whole mentioning that he has my bf's info sounds like a scare tactic to me.

Any thoughts? Has anyone had something like this happened to anyone you know? It's just very bizarre to the both of us.

Edit: Just had another thought. My boyfriend bought flowers for my mom and his mom, and after parking was standing outside for a couple minutes before coming into my house. If this guy supposedly saw my boyfriend do something to his car why didn't he come out right away to confront him about it?

Last edited:

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If you are unsure about how to proceed with this perhaps a call to your local police station and ask for their advice would be a wise move. Avoid calling the emergency services (such as 911 / 999) instead look up the local number for your nearest police department and ask them for guidance.

S

superbot

COME ON!!...If he wasn't involved in an accident,then call the police and report it as you've layed out above.Common sense!!!!!

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Its just somebody fucking around, or trying to create havoc.
Lots of people looking for a free way to get money out of people these days.

I wouldn't worry about it. Don't bother calling... The guy might be some homophobe.
By your boyfriend calling, he probably has whomever's name is on the phone line he called from.

You don't leave a note...You call the police, show them the damage and let them handle it while the car is still sitting there.

To be sure, call the local police give them the number, let them investigate it. You might need it if this guy has other intentions.

Empty_Hole

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If it was genuine then insurance companies would get involved and everything so if you don hear from them then most likely someone is trying to earn a couple of quid or get a laugh at your BF expense

D_Harry Bacque

Just Browsing
Media
Just to update, it got sorted out today, My boyfriend called the guy, not giving away any information but just asking info about the guy who left the note. It turns out I know who it was, some guy who lives across the street. In fact my mom overheard the guy talking to my neighbor about how someone damaged his car a couple of weeks ago, but he had no idea who. So it would seem the guy is just looking at cars around his house with any damage and trying to blame them. My bf's car has a little bit of damage from a previous accident that was filed with his insurance company. The guy who left the note tried to claim that it was recent and involved his car.

Eventually the guy gave up trying to blame my bf and the call ended.