Is this discrimination considered illegal?

Media
While I'm in the court officer academy, I'm working as a manager in a place called Red Mango. If any of you are familiar with Pinkberry, Red Mango was the original company founded in South Korea that Pinkberry copied the idea from. Regardless, I'm supposed to hire a new person that we need, and I had a number of people come in today. The chairman and I were sitting in the back of the store and an applicant came to talk to us, he was a bit heavyset. The chairman called him fat, not to him of course, but to me afterward. I would say he just looked big, not muscular, but not jiggy fat...if you put him in a suit he'd look like a bouncer.

So anyway, he seemed very qualified, had a resume, was just trying to make a little extra cash. I had to get approval from the chairman, who is in our store quite often since he lives 10 minutes walking distance. After he left the chairman said, don't hire him. So I asked if he thought he wasn't good, and he replied that he was too fat...and since our product is extremely healthy, he wants people that portray that to customers. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, I just thought it was messed up at the time. I had dinner with the chairman and President of the Red Mango franchises in New York and just during a casual conversation I was asked if I have a girlfriend. I said yes, even though I have a boyfriend, because these are older Korean guys who probably don't tolerate homosexuality. I know being fired over that is illegal, but I could probably rule out any raises if I told them I was bisexual. I still have to hire someone...anyone in NYC want a job? hahaha, come work for the intolerant Koreans!

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual

I agree. Discrimination takes many forms. It is wrong to discriminate against someone because of his or her weight, just as it's wrong to discriminate against someone because of gender, race, sexual orientation, etc.

I'm shocked how so many Americans verbally abuse overweight people with no repercussions to their intolerable behavior. No, it's not healthy to be overweight, but it's no excuse to hate someone. If someone is qualified for the job and I rule the person out because of his/her weight, I am indeed guilty of discrimination.

Try to change jobs. These Korean employers sound like total bigots. And you know what? How would they like it if they were refused jobs just because they were Korean?

Media
I do feel its wrong, but this is going to be a very short term job. Though they don't know that. I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut and let them keep giving me raises, then when I'm done with my academy I'll just part ways. I do actually have an interest in the Korean culture, I can speak it a little and most of my friends here are Korean. The older generation are very set in their ways and are very narrow minded. I feel very sad for people like that actually, they miss out on a lot of things in life. And I don't think Korean people worry about finding jobs, they hardly interact or do business with non-Korean people. Every single person that has come to our store and is related to it in one way or another is Korean.

As for never coming to Red Mango again, I'm sure other places follow similar practices, I've never seen an obese person, or even a little chubby working at a Pinkberry. Red Mango is much better tasting and healthier, but again I could care less how much business they pull in or how well they do, I won't be there more than a couple of months. Eat where you want! Maybe I'll hire that guy they told me not to as my last act of manager =p

B_sugarandspice

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't support enabling people with serious addictions. Alcoholism, drug a addiction and food addiction are unacceptable -period.
let them hit rock bottom so they can save their own lives.
Addiction and alcoholisms are "extreme self centeredness". I went meetings with my foster family for years. And I know all about recovery. OA uses the 'Big book" Alcoholics Anonymous.
Severe over eating is unhealthy and inappropriate . I mean obesity. Being even moderately overweight greatly increases health risks.
Just because "everyone is doing it " doesn't make it okay.
There are consequences for actions. Stop enabling.
I would have beat the crap out of those creeps for mistreating that woman. She wasn't in a motor cart-not that it would have been alright then- but she was up walking around.
Shame on them!
She needs a program not special treatment-other than rehab!!
They are sick- addicts.
They need to start laying tracts around for these people to find so they can get help on their own or interventions.
They have kicked drug addicts off welfare because it is wrong to enable addicts.
The last thing they need is "tolerance". They don't deserve abuse but they need tough love.
People need to teach there children how serious over eating is!
I have worked for doctors and I even gave away a business for body image and eating disorders.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree. Discrimination takes many forms. It is wrong to discriminate against someone because of his or her weight, just as it's wrong to discriminate against someone because of gender, race, sexual orientation, etc.

I'm shocked how so many Americans verbally abuse overweight people with no repercussions to their intolerable behavior. That is because the misperception is that fat people are lazy and chose to be that way.No, it's not healthy to be overweight, but it's no excuse to hate someone. If someone is qualified for the job and I rule the person out because of his/her weight, I am indeed guilty of discrimination. Of course you are; but you wouldn't do that because you have a brain.

Try to change jobs. These Korean employers sound like total bigots. And you know what? How would they like it if they were refused jobs just because they were Korean?

Most though not all Asians are notorious for being VERY prejudiced, especially against black people.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't support enabling people with serious addictions. Alcoholism, drug a addiction and food addiction are unacceptable -period.
let them hit rock bottom so they can save their own lives.
Addiction and alcoholisms are "extreme self centeredness". I went meetings with my foster family for years. And I know all about recovery. OA uses the 'Big book" Alcoholics Anonymous.
Severe over eating is unhealthy and inappropriate . I mean obesity. Being even moderately overweight greatly increases health risks.
Just because "everyone is doing it " doesn't make it okay.
There are consequences for actions. Stop enabling.
I would have beat the crap out of those creeps for mistreating that woman. She wasn't in a motor cart-not that it would have been alright then- but she was up walking around.
Shame on them!
She needs a program not special treatment-other than rehab!!
They are sick- addicts.
They need to start laying tracts around for these people to find so they can get help on their own or interventions.
They have kicked drug addicts off welfare because it is wrong to enable addicts.
The last thing they need is "tolerance". They don't deserve abuse but they need tough love.
People need to teach there children how serious over eating is!
I have worked for doctors and I even gave away a business for body image and eating disorders.

Screw you girlie, and the horse that you rode...

Aren't you all high and mighty assuming that all large people have food addictions? Haven't you ever heard of genetics, glandular issues, and being healthy and large or are you too busy burning your scalp and brain cells dying your hair, trying to stay blonde?

Get a clue. If you had a food addiction and found OA or AA to be helpful, then that's great for YOU. If you think everyone who is large needs OA then I have another program for you, it's called CoDA (Co-Dependents Anonymous).

If you learned anything in your 12-Step groups you should have learned that no one else can call anyone else an addict. Addicts self-identify always. You have no right to judge others. That's certainly NOT in line with the 12 Principals. Call your sponsor and find a few CoDA meetings and some compassion or I predict you'll be slipping and sliding your way back to relapse.

And stuff a sock in it until you've had over a decade in a 12-Step program. It sounds like you are very new "sobriety."

How's that for tough love, girlie?!

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Gold star to simcha for bothering to read the shit she spouts, I gave up reading or responding to anything S&S wrote long ago, I don't want to enable her in her delusional paranoia.

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Bravo,Bravo,Bravo Simcha!
What the fuck is she talking about? Not that she even has a clue.
Do you ever read the crap that comes out of your brainless mouth?
I haven't read one thread where anything you've said makes sense.
FYI,They don't kick you off of welfare for drug addictions,how the fuck would they know, what anyone does,in their homes.
Ignorant aren't you? I don't believe for a minute that you "gave away",a business for body disorders and image. Who in their right mind would hire you, to do anything dealing, with the public. By the way every single thing you've spewed is incorrect,you obviously don't know a damn thing about addiction,or being sober.
cigarbabe:saevil:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You are so right. There should be a law, making it illegal to sell food to fat people. You could make them stand on a scale before they reach the checkout line.

Maybe it should also be illegal to provide oxygen to stupid people.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You are so right. There should be a law, making it illegal to sell food to fat people. You could make them stand on a scale before they reach the checkout line.

If that happend the membership here would drop to less than 10,000.:rolleyes::tongue::cool:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

LOL:biggrin1:

At the very least we should tax the stupid for breathing air.