Is this Salary possible?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I was talking to someone and he said he is a construction Supervisor. He looks around 25 to 30 years old. He said that in the Union he makes $75 an hour. He said he used to work for Anheuser Bush and made $90 an hour, but that gig ended. He also said that 10 guys go to a job and only two work at a time. Now that part is believable. Maybe I am too trusting. I mentioned it to someone and they thought the person was lying.

D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

Experimental Member
Media
I had a friend in college that majored in Construction Management. Upon graduation, he went to Vegas to work for a construction company and has a 6 figure salary. It's very possible to be making crazy money in your late-20s if you're in the right field. I was surprised, and jealous, when I found out he was gonna be pulling in so much cash right after graduating. You're supposed to struggle immediately after college!!!

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Probably not.
Just googled salary survey and Monster dot com has that info for all types of jobs and varies by Zip. $75/hr = $156,000 per year
I used a NYC zip and median is $125,000 with 25% over $137,500.

Given the age of the person - I doubt it.
BTW $90/Hr = $187,000/yr

Another thing - Most of the supervisors are salaried - Think of what overtime would start to run even at $50/hr

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Probably not.
Just googled salary survey and Monster dot com has that info for all types of jobs and varies by Zip. $75/hr = $156,000 per year

BTW $90/Hr = $187,000/yr

Another thing - Most of the supervisors are salaried - Think of what overtime would start to run even at $50/hr

I am in Northeast NJ, 15 miles from Manhattan, We are in the NYC area. If he has been there a long time, it may be possible.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i make $50-$100 an hour. i graduated in 2004. i don't work full time, but if i pursued it and worked a lot of hours, i could be making decent money. the thing with my job and the same as construction, as far as i know, it's seasonal and it's also by the job. i can pull in, say, 30K in 3 months and only 10K throughout the rest of the year. on paper, i look like i could really pull in the bucks if you go by my hourly rate, but in reality my work isn't as steady as someone making a salary. i also don't have access to benefits. so, it depends. i don't know much about construction, but with the housing market and economy like it is, i can't see it being incredibly lucrative like it may have been 2-5 years ago.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm confused as to why this would surprise you. Construction is a HUGE industry in my region (and I would almost consider your area to be part of the same region). There are oodles and oodles of homes selling at a million-plus dollars. At today's rates, your average million-dollar mortgage over 30 years will have you paying in the neighborhood of $5850.00 per month.

What kind of salaries do you think these people are making, to afford $70,000 a year in mortgage payments? I guarantee you it's not the federal employees who are buying all these houses. So, who is it making the bucks? Most likely, a few of them are the construction contractors.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Of course it's possible, just do the math. :smile: $75 an hour times a 40 hour week is $3000. $3000 x 52 weeks in a year is a gross annual salary of $156,000. That's not just doable I dare say in North Jersey its de rigeur. :rolleyes:

The thing is most people get to a point where they either a) no longer discuss salary or b) don't think in terms of an hourly salary. I can't remember the last time some one wanted to know my hourly salary and I couldn't tell them without the aid of a calculator if they did.

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was talking to someone and he said he is a construction Supervisor. He looks around 25 to 30 years old. He said that in the Union he makes $75 an hour. He said he used to work for Anheuser Bush and made $90 an hour, but that gig ended. He also said that 10 guys go to a job and only two work at a time. Now that part is believable. Maybe I am too trusting. I mentioned it to someone and they thought the person was lying.

Im a contractor/builder and with my payroll, Its absolutely possible.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't know where you are from Pitbull as you have no profile. :mad:

New Jersey is one of the most expensive states in the country in which to live. For the most part if you have a reasonable degree or exemplary talent, the salaries are commensurate. More importantly New Jersey has some of the most powerful unions in the nation. ALL construction work is unionized or you end up with broken kneecaps. :biggrin1: Construction is good money. Some women look for doctors and lawyers not me. When I lived in Jersey I scoped out the men in workboots with pickup trucks that looked as if they were used for something other than going to The Mall at Short Hills. :wink::biggrin1: Those men are reliable usually honest and appreciate a woman with some extra cush'n for push'n. :wink:

Probably not.

BTW $90/Hr = $187,000/yr

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
That salary is totally possible in the construction industry for a good superintendent. I hope for his sake he has put something aside to live on while the US housing market tanks.

B_ajaxgayguy7

Experimental Member
Media
Maybe he was factoring in benefits? If I factor in my benefits, sick pay, pension etc, i make over $80.00/hr, but straight pay close to 30.
My brother is the same, he is a journey man (sheet metal worker) he makes well over 100/hr IF YOU FACTOR IN EVERYTHING.

Pffft! That's nothing!

Yesterday in Manhattan I was talking down 56th street behind two young guys on their way to celebrate the one of them getting a $15,000,000. bonus. Yes, fifteen million dollars; yes, a bonus. Apparently the bulk of it was going to a house in Greenwich.

Merry Chri$tma$, investment banker style!

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Of course it's possible, just do the math. :smile: $75 an hour times a 40 hour week is $3000. $3000 x 52 weeks in a year is a gross annual salary of $156,000. That's not just doable I dare say in North Jersey its de rigeur. :rolleyes:

The thing is most people get to a point where they either a) no longer discuss salary or b) don't think in terms of an hourly salary. I can't remember the last time some one wanted to know my hourly salary and I couldn't tell them without the aid of a calculator if they did.
I wish people were (or could be) more open about their salaries. It would probably motivate young people to do better in school.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Pffft! That's nothing!

Yesterday in Manhattan I was talking down 56th street behind two young guys on their way to celebrate the one of them getting a $15,000,000. bonus. Yes, fifteen million dollars; yes, a bonus. Apparently the bulk of it was going to a house in Greenwich.

Merry Chri$tma$, investment banker style!

My husband worked for a company that did energy trading, and the young hotshot traders who he wrote software for would regularly bring home bonuses into 6 and 7 figures. If we were lucky, we'd bring home 4 figures. Hmph. :biggrin1:

B_ajaxgayguy7

Experimental Member
Media
education had nothing to do with it, my brother and i both have our G.E.D and we make real good money, our income is considered upper middle. My cousin who has degrees up the wazoo is now selling car insurance at her 40 grand/yr. The money she spent on her education was money well pissed up, seeing how she never used her degrees, other than her diploma on the wall.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
education had nothing to do with it, my brother and i both have our G.E.D and we make real good money, our income is considered upper middle. My cousin who has degrees up the wazoo is now selling car insurance at her 40 grand/yr. The money she spent on her education was money well pissed up, seeing how she never used her degrees, other than her diploma on the wall.

Exactly. It's all right place right time, who you know and who you blow.
Many do well all through school, get a big degree, and work their bum off for nothing all their lives...

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You can't deny the correlation between education and income. That doesn't mean all less educated people don't make a lot of money or all educated people make a lot.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You can't deny the correlation between education and income. That doesn't mean all less educated people don't make a lot of money or all educated people make a lot.

You can't deny the power of being in the political clique either. I call it the "buddy system". If you don't know somebody, you don't get any of the good jobs in my area. I don't know anybody, so I get the crap work...