Is this where the USA is heading?

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
well bud your wrong there I have an MBA
Ooooh, an MBA! Like half the graduates with "advanced" degrees from god-knows-where. LOL.

Not that it even matters - having a college degree in anything doesn't guarantee you're edjookated.

Well bud, you're wrong there. I have an MBA.
:rofl: Oh, the irony!

I think maxcok was using 'educated' in the broad sense, not captured in a list of degrees.
Damn. You is smart.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I did 6years as bouncer paying for school and graduate school. Not to mention I was D I wrestler and still play around in the cage. I'd eat you alive. I have an upper cut that could drop a bull but my specialty is choke holds and joint manipulation. I learned a long time ago how to hurt and leave no mark.
Just the type of person we all want as a friend, I'm sure.

and as far as my token black freind I have quite few. i''ve also knocked a few around who acted like dogs. i judge people based on my personal experience with them. and treat them accordingly. I could care less where you're youve done been in the past or in other places. If you're decent you'll at the very least get my respect. If not then back off.
Typical MBA-style inability to write cohesively. "I don't got no to show I are smart. I done got me an MBA." Yeah, the Phoenix Institute will accept anyone who shows up with enough cash. Them 'roids you've taken for so many years are affecting your "little gray cells."

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
CBS News Mobile: Story.
Islamophobia spreads to Tennesee

Updated at 9:25 p.m. ET Federal officials are investigating a fire that started overnight at the site of a new Islamic center in a Nashville suburb. Ben Goodwin of the Rutherford County Sheriff's Department confirmed to CBS Affiliate WTVF that the fire, which burned construction equipment at the future site of the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro, is being ruled as arson. Special Agent Andy Anderson of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives told CBS News that the fire destroyed one piece of construction equipment and damaged three others. Gas was poured over the equipment to start the fire, Anderson said. The ATF, FBI and Rutherford County Sheriff's Office are conducting a joint investigation into the fire, Anderson said. WTVF reports firefighters were alerted by a passerby who saw flames at the site. One large earth hauler was set on fire before the suspect or suspects left the scene. The chair of the center's planning

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
CBS News Mobile: Story.
Islamophobia spreads to Tennesee

Seems like CBS is just helping to fuel the fire by making a national news item out of the story.

The arsonist/s is not yet known so neither are their reasons. It could be a disgruntled worker setting fire to equipment or it could be an insurance fraud job. Taking a particular spin simply because it appears to be most logical is bad reporting (imo).

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Seems like CBS is just helping to fuel the fire by making a national news item out of the story.

The arsonist/s is not yet known so neither are their reasons. It could be a disgruntled worker setting fire to equipment or it could be an insurance fraud job. Taking a particular spin simply because it appears to be most logical is bad reporting (imo).
The article took no spin. It reports what is known to have happened at the time and it gives some background on the recent history of the project and the controversy surrounding it.

Your point about CBS reporting it is nonsense. There is no reason for CBS to not report it. Everybody else is. Here have a look- Arson suspected in fire at proposed m... - Google News

Is this site "too sensitive", like the one in NYC?

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Last edited:

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The article took no spin. It reports what is known to have happened at the time and it gives some background on the recent history of the project and the controversy surrounding it.

Your point about CBS reporting it is nonsense. There is no reason for CBS to not report it. Everybody else is. Here have a look- Arson suspected in fire at proposed m... - Google News

Is this site "too sensitive", like the one in NYC?

I respectfully disagree Vince.

The background and history bears no substantive relevance before the fact.

It is an assumption that they drew that it most likely is an islamophobic act. Until such time that this is proven to be so, the story is largely conjecture.

As for everybody reporting on it, it just seems to prove a point about exacerbating a situation as according to the link you gave, CBS reported first.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

It is an assumption that they drew that it most likely is an islamophobic act. Until such time that this is proven to be so, the story is largely conjecture.

As for everybody reporting on it, it just seems to prove a point about exacerbating a situation as according to the link you gave, CBS reported first.
You've never been to Tennessee or know what it can be like. Trust me, this was no random act

You clearly don't live in Tennessee. Murfreesboro is only 30 mins south of Nashville and I can assure you, this wasn't random...

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

They did not make any assumptions in the story Mitchymo. At least not to my reading. I'll have to ask you to point them out to me. They reported the fire, what the sheriff and AFT departments said, what the director of the centre said and a bit of background. What spin are you writing about?

Reporting background of any story is a normal part of any reporter's job.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media

I think the story was as neutral as it could be.
It describes about the fire, how it was discovered, and other completely unobjectionable stuff. And then it adds:

[FONT=&quot]"We unfortunately did not experience hostilities for the 30 years we've been here and have only seen the hostility since approval of the site plan for the new center," said Sbenaty. Opponents of a new Islamic center say they believe the mosque will be more than a place of prayer; they are afraid the 15-acre site that was once farmland will be turned into a terrorist training ground for Muslim militants bent on overthrowing the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]U.S.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] government. "They are not a religion. They are a political, militaristic group," Bob Shelton, a 76-year-old retiree who lives in the area, told The Associated Press. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Shelton[/FONT][FONT=&quot] was among several hundred demonstrators who recently wore "Vote for Jesus" T-shirts and carried signs that said "No Sharia law for [/FONT][FONT=&quot]USA[/FONT][FONT=&quot]!," referring to the Islamic code of law. Others took their opposition further, spray painting a sign announcing the "Future site of the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro" and tearing it up. Earlier this summer opponents criticized the planned mosque at hearings held by the Rutherford County Commission, as supporters held prayer vigils. At one such prayer vigil, WTVF reported opponents speaking out against construction. "No mosque in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Murfreesboro[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. I don't want it. I don't want them here," Evy Summers said to WTVF . "Go start their own country overseas somewhere. This is a Christian country. It was based on Christianity."[/FONT]

Reading between the lines, people will certainly assume that there's a good chance that an Islamophobe has been behind the fire.
The article doesn't say that, but the facts themselves are highly suggestive.
But I don't see any reason why any journalistic outlet would not include those obviously relevant facts.
And even if it turns out that the fire was an accident ... say, the result of an electrical problem, to grab some random possibility ... CBS will have no reason at all to be embarrassed by this story.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think the story was as neutral as it could be.
It describes about the fire, how it was discovered, and other completely unobjectionable stuff. And then it adds:

[FONT=&quot]"We unfortunately did not experience hostilities for the 30 years we've been here and have only seen the hostility since approval of the site plan for the new center," said Sbenaty. Opponents of a new Islamic center say they believe the mosque will be more than a place of prayer; they are afraid the 15-acre site that was once farmland will be turned into a terrorist training ground for Muslim militants bent on overthrowing the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]U.S.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] government. "They are not a religion. They are a political, militaristic group," Bob Shelton, a 76-year-old retiree who lives in the area, told The Associated Press. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Shelton[/FONT][FONT=&quot] was among several hundred demonstrators who recently wore "Vote for Jesus" T-shirts and carried signs that said "No Sharia law for [/FONT][FONT=&quot]USA[/FONT][FONT=&quot]!," referring to the Islamic code of law. Others took their opposition further, spray painting a sign announcing the "Future site of the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro" and tearing it up. Earlier this summer opponents criticized the planned mosque at hearings held by the Rutherford County Commission, as supporters held prayer vigils. At one such prayer vigil, WTVF reported opponents speaking out against construction. "No mosque in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Murfreesboro[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. I don't want it. I don't want them here," Evy Summers said to WTVF . "Go start their own country overseas somewhere. This is a Christian country. It was based on Christianity."[/FONT]

Reading between the lines, people will certainly assume that there's a good chance that an Islamophobe has been behind the fire.
The article doesn't say that, but the facts themselves are highly suggestive.
But I don't see any reason why any journalistic outlet would not include those obviously relevant facts.
And even if it turns out that the fire was an accident ... say, the result of an electrical problem, to grab some random possibility ... CBS will have no reason at all to be embarrassed by this story.

As has been said by Vince and in the quote above, this is the essence of responsible journalism; besides, once the ATF became involved, this deserves its place in the on-going national dialog about the place Islam has in modern American society.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
You've never been to Tennessee or know what it can be like. Trust me, this was no random act
Well I do live in Tennessee, right down the road in fact. There is nothing wrong with the reporting, and though it now appears to be arson, and the circumstances make that very suspicious, I'm going to stand somewhere in the middle between you both and wait for facts to emerge before drawing a definite conclusion as to motive.
"Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives spokesman Eric Kehn said Sunday the investigation was still in an early phase. The FBI and local sheriff are also investigating."

Indy, I'm a little surprised and put off by your slap at my home state, which ironically stereotypes people and their culture and fosters misunderstanding. Not everyone here is a knuckle-dragging bible-banging redneck. You'd be surprised at the number of very progressive people in the hills around me. Tennesee is arguably the most purple of the red states, and it doesn't help win hearts and minds when people feel ridiculed and dismissed by "liberal elites". Not saying you are, I'm saying that's how statements like that are perceived. Lest we forget, the act that inspired your thread happened in liberal Noo York City. From what I've seen of the protests taking place there, the Murfreesboro event was a picnic. BTW, there were counter protestors on the Court Square here too, estimated to be in equal or greater numbers than the protestors. > Pic here <
"The anti-mosque marchers in Tennessee were not without opposition. The ABP reported that &#8220;The anti-mosque marchers were met at the public square by an equally large, if not larger, crowd estimated at more than 400 by organizers of Middle Tennesseans for Religious Freedom. The group, composed largely of students at the local Middle Tennessee State University, was formed hastily to counter the protest.&#8221;

You clearly don't live in Tennessee. Murfreesboro is only 30 mins south of Nashville and I can assure you, this wasn't random...
Hey baby, where have you been lately? :smile: You know you're probably right, but let's wait and see, k?

I'd like to see some good come out of this. I hope that whatever the motive behind this presumed arson and other actions around the country, it will wake people up and inspire good people here and elsewhere to get involved and to stand up for the American principle of religious freedom and tolerance in general.

Last edited:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Sorry, should've written.... "Attack Whitey Night" ... Finally! Reparations for the black people!

There, fixed it for ya..

Now are you happy?

No, that's wrong too. But thanks for playing. :rolleyes:

No, because all of your posts to me are full of hate and argument.

And your posts aren't?
"Reparations for the black people", eh? Gee, did you lose your lover to a gangster rapper recently? :rolleyes:

And I get it... must be beyond difficult to be black, muslim and gay. I'll never understand because I'm obviously a straight white unrepressed male who secretly owns several slaves and is president of the KKK in Texas.

No, you won't understand because you're stupid.
Because I know plenty of straight white males that get it (some are on this very board), and for you to lump yourself with them by way of such a generalizing title is an insult to their ability to think. But please, keep thinking that it's gotta be something else. Really. :rolleyes:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I did 6years as bouncer paying for school and graduate school. Not to mention I was D I wrestler and still play around in the cage. I'd eat you alive. I have an upper cut that could drop a bull but my specialty is choke holds and joint manipulation. I learned a long time ago how to hurt and leave no mark.

First off, you act as if you would (or even could) actually put your hands on me. What makes you think you can unleash some kind of steroid-infused Shin Shoryuken to me if you're not ever going to touch me in the first place? I know you're getting off scripting your fantasies of unleashing physical violence on people who make stinging metaphors that you take too literally, but please make sure to adhere to the TOS when you unleash your anger. Watching you scream "HULK SMASH" in response is not a good look for you.

Secondly, a graduate degree doesn't mean a damn thing. All it does is allow a company to point blame at someone when something screws up because you're supposed to be the "expert". I don't have a degree in Computer Science, but with the actual work experience I have in the field since I was 16 years of age I can run circles around many graduates in the field.

sbat

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Wow. If that was the intent (and we don't know that for sure since the investigation is ongoing) how is that any more backward than decades of violence directed against blacks, gays or other minorities? Does it take an attack on cornfed white people before we sound the alarm?

In this country, yes. And it will continue to be so until the majority of campaign financing comes from blacks, gays, and other minorities and the companies they run.