Is working out worth it?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Jovial, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd say I workout between four and seven hours each week, but I sometimes wonder if it's really worth it. I mean if I just spent that time doing other more enjoyable things maybe I'd enjoy life more. Most people don't workout, so I figure they must not think it's worth it.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out exactly what staying on good shape gets you.

Also if I'm in good shape then I want a partner that's in good shape, so really I don't gain anything. I mean if I was in average shape maybe I'd be just as happy to be with someone average.

Any thoughts?

2. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

Most people do it so they look good but, I don't, I had a health scare when I was 15 and have been working out ever since, I need the lean muscle mass in case I ever get sick again

It fights depression, anxiety and a host of other problems that sometimes comes with age, Its my opinion that a person should exercise, workout for themselves, not for other people.

Edit: My workout is 10 hours a week, 2 hours/ 5 days best time I ever spent, I love it!

3. Mule

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'd agree with Monster. If you're not doing it for yourself, stop. If you're doing it for yourself with the added benefit of others liking the way you look, then okay.

There are numerous benefits to working out, and I think most people would prefer their lovers to be healthy. Good health is attractive!

4. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I work out for about 45 minutes 3-5 times a week. I could never be a gym rat but I totally think my exercising is worth it. I like the way it makes me feel, I like the way my body looks, I like the way by blood pressure, cholesterol and health readings look when I talk to my doctor.

I have used exercise to fight depression and lower my cholesterol. Even when I do not feel like getting up and going to the gym, I always feel better for having gone.

5. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree to do it for yourself. I'm always surprised if someone compliments my body since I workout more for myself.

But if it's worth it for whatever reason, I don't understand why more people don't do it. And sometimes it upsets me a lot, especially seeing kids 18-21 in good shape that quickly get out of shape by the time they are 25.

6. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I can't think of a reason why one wouldn't want to work out. It's great therapy for oneself, and it helps to maintain your health. I've never been a gym addict, going 5-6 times a day for hours and living by a hyper-strict diet in order to look like an olympic god. I do it just for general health and wellness. About 2-3 times a day for about an hour or so is perfect.

I've been kinda slacking from it over the last month, especially since I've been travelling all over the place. But I'm looking to get back into it. One thing that helps tremendously is having a person work out with you who can keep you motivated and pushes you to do more. Not necessarily a trainer, because I don't like having the constant feeling that I'm working with someone who has a body type I can never acheive. Anyone in New York need a lifting partner? :)

7. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

MOST people are lazy and don't workout, Its understandable because its not easy to exercise.

8. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I've worked out off and on, and often have trouble getting motivated myself. I especially have difficulty since I don't particularly like working out alone, but I can't afford to join a gym and take classes, and many of the hikes, etc. that are done in the clubs I'm in are above my fitness level.

I do have something now that gives me a little more exercise than I'd been getting - I have a part time job that is walking distance (0.5 mile) from my apartment, and I walk to and from work most days. That will unfortunately change when I get a day job and have to switch my hours at that job to nights, since I don't want to walk that far alone after dark. (I'd still be able to walk to work on Saturdays though). It's not much but it's better than nothing. Of course, having two desk jobs (as I may have in the near future) is not going to do much for my workout schedule! :eek: I guess I'll just have to be a "weekend warrior" then! :biggrin1:

9. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    It sounds like you understand the long-term benefits of working out, but you don't translate that to the short term. Maybe that's how most people see it. Or they maintain pretty good shape without working out, so they figure the extra effort is not worth it.

10. cyberczar

cyberczar New Member

I try to workout twice a day during the week. An hour in the morning, and an hour in the evening. Sometimes I don't have time for a full workout, so I try to get in a prison workout, but I do it all for me. I may also run or jog throughout the week in lieu of working out if the weather's nice, or to simply break up my routine.

If you don't do it for yourself, then you're only cheating yourself, and you might as well spend your time doing something else.

11. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

I joined a gym at the beginning of October and I'm on the verge of quitting. I am so sick of it. I only went once this past week. The first 3 weeks I was fine, loved it. I went faithfully three times a week. But as the weeks wore on I got sicker and sicker of it. I don't need to lose weight. I just want to be in shape, and the exercise has helped with my aches and pains, and I feel more limber and toned. I'm just really sick of it. :frown1: Not sure if I'll make it until summer.

12. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I think that happens a lot. In my case life gets in the way, either work schedule, or illness, something that derails me, and I have a hard time getting momentum again. Where I used to live the weather was a factor as well - I had trouble even walking from my car to the gym if it was bitter cold and windy out, which was several months out of the year. That's not as much a factor now with where I live, but now it's more the parts about not being in good enough shape to do the activities with my clubs (they do a lot of advanced stuff), and lack of money to join a gym.

13. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

You have to stick to it Italian978, go when you dont want to! I dont like going sometimes but, Im always glad I did after, your just in a slump right now and it will pass, Everything Ive read says change your routine up and it gets better, not so tedious. Good Luck Bud! NO PAIN NO GAIN is very true!

14. paulobr79

paulobr79 Member

Albums:
    I have to agree with Monster. No pain no gain. I try and change my routine every couple of weeks to make it more interesting. I go 3 times a week for an hour/ hour and a half each session, not much but I'm quite pleased with how my body is shaping up.
    Monster- I've increased my ab work....Hurt the first day but much easier the next time. Thanks for the tip

15. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

I didn't want to go all week, but I managed to go once and it sucked. I'm going Sunday morning as far as I know. That's what I'm saying now, but come tomorrow morning I may change my mind. Maybe I do need to change my routine. I wish there was a pill you could take instead of working out. You could pick the picture of the body you want to look like, pop the pill every day, and never have to go to the damn gym again.

16. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    That tells me that you may be doing too much. It's not a good workout routine unless you (and your body) can maintain it over time. You need to find a routine that you can stick to.

17. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

HaHa! Don't we wish there was a pill

Go Tomorrow!!!

18. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

What am I doing too much? I only do about 30 minutes, 3 times a week. Except for this last week, when I only went once. :redface:

I will try to go tomorrow. I feel shitty today. I didn't sleep good last night and have had a headache and nausea all day. I'm going to bed at 9:30.

19. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    Those "pills" are a billion dollar industry, unfortunately they don't work.

I think of working out like paying the rent, eating, sleeping or anything else in life. It's just something I need to do every week...like maintenance on a car.

20. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh, I wasn't sure if it was lifting weights or cardio. Some people lift weights and do too much, their body gets sore and worn down after a few weeks, then they don't look forward to going to the gym. I thought that may be you. Maybe you are not seeing any results, so you are getting bored. What do you do for those 30 minutes?

Draft saved Draft deleted