Is working out worth it?

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media
thanks I have been working to keep a high test level. My muscle growth and strength are thru the roof. However, due to adrenal fatigue (read prolonged un relieved stress i.e. too much cortisol for too long a time, very destructive)) believe it or not, my libido is low. Go figure.

I have been studying intensely the proper hormone levels for men. LH, FSH, Estrogen, Estradiol, total test, free test, bioavailable test, SHBG (sex hormone binding globlulin), cortisol, and minerals.

Its complex stuff and its the future of medicine.

Very interesting. I'm sort of in the same boat. What are you doing to kepp you r levels high?

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Another hard truth is that not everyone needs to workout and do the same things to see similar results. What works for Monster may not work for me. I can probably eat things he can't and vice versa.

As Rubi mentioned--a trainer can be key (although I find that they want everyone to be very lean which may not be realistic) and a nutritionist can also be of great help. I know a guy who worked with a nutritionist to prepare for running marathons and more--he was able to make incredible changes.

The trainers at my gym never seem to impact the people with whom they work (the ones who are there when I am at 5:30am).

Maybe I watch too much The Biggest Loser ? I would expect to see changes in a guy who I see work with a trainer 2-4 times a week for 2 years.

Man, isn't that the damned truth!

It's a daily battle with myself that I enjoy winning more than losing!

speshk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
But it's not self evident to me! That's what I'm saying, it gets me compliments, but I'm not sure what else. I've never been out of shape, so I don't know if or how I'm treated differently by other. I also don't feel like I deserve more or anything like that.

Man, are you saying that body doesn't get you laid? I don't believe it . . . :eek:

Wyldgusechaz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
wyld get some HGH prescribed for you, it is the fountain of youth.

Actually there is a new drug that stimulates your HPTA to kick out teen age levels of HGH. That way you don't suffer shut down of your HPTA and instead punch it into overdrive.

I am trying to stay HGH free but I will hit it if I find the need. Have you hit HGH?

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think anyone who's getting bored with exercise should consider a personal trainer.

I started that way. They do push you, which is good, but it's expensive.

Your only lifting for 30 minutes, but I guess if you are not wasting time then it could be a tough workout. I'm not sure what you mean by 30 reps...is that like 3 sets of 10 each?

Yes, 3 sets of 10. Is that 30 reps? I count 1-30 or 30-1.

If I had limited time, I would just do bench press and lat pull downs.

I do the lat pull downs, too. I'm not familiar with all the names.

The bench will work your chest, shoulders and triceps. The lat pull downs will work your back and biceps. Butterflies only work your chest, so it is kind of a waste of time if you are short on time. If I had time for 5 exercises, I would do bench press, lat pull down, shoulder press, triceps and biceps curls...and try to do 3 sets of each.

That sounds good. I get the feeling I'm being repeticious with some of the exercises.

If you do lower body, then leg press or squats.

I don't do the leg exercises. I already have some leg muscles, so I don't bother.

What I'm saying is you can cut back to a few exercises rather than trying to do a lot in a short time. That way going to the gym doesn't seem like so much work. You won't get burned out.

Sounds like a plan...more concentrated and fewer machines. Are you available for hire? These are great tips. :smile:

I work out at least 4 days a week for about 2 hrs. I have more energy and feel great! It's well worth it to me. I feel better about myself too.

Yikes! That's a lot!

Wow, Jovial, I'd say judging from your pics, the benefits are self evident. Very impressive!

Yes, and the other guys on here as well, Monster, Wyld, Lex, etc.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Actually there is a new drug that stimulates your HPTA to kick out teen age levels of HGH. That way you don't suffer shut down of your HPTA and instead punch it into overdrive.

I am trying to stay HGH free but I will hit it if I find the need. Have you hit HGH?

I have not, but would not be against it when the time comes.

For my profession I need to pretty much stay the size I am, in fact be a little lighter. I feel like HGH at my age would put some size on me, but within the next decade or so I believe that I would be in more need of its healthy, youthful rejuvenating benefits. I also believe within that time it will be more mainsteam and accepted by people as the fountain of youth, whereas now I would probably be sent to prison if found with it.

What is this drug you speak of?

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Man, are you saying that body doesn't get you laid? I don't believe it . . . :eek:
I guess that is what I'm saying. I don't go around thinking I'm in good physical shape so everyone wants to have sex with me. I just don't think that way. Also, I don't want to have sex with just anyone...I'm picky, so that doesn't help. Maybe I need a new marketing firm or something. :rolleyes:

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Would workout turn me into a super good looking or super stud? :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'd say I workout between four and seven hours each week, but I sometimes wonder if it's really worth it.

About the same for me.

If you're spending that much time working out I suspect its because you enjoy working out at least as much as its side effects. Otherwise, you'd find an excuse not to do it.

Even if you do sometimes wonder whether the time would be better spent doing something else I think excercise is probably too much part of your life to quit cold-turkey. In this case I don't think the grass is greener on the more sedentary side of the fence for you, Jovial. :smile:

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You're probably right SpeedoGuy.
I like ExRx.net Exercise & Muscle Directory
It has animated gif images of each exercise. It's nice if you are looking to switch up your exercises to make things more interesting. And also helpful if you want to know exactly which muscles get worked by each exercise.

Wyldgusechaz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Very interesting. I'm sort of in the same boat. What are you doing to kepp you r levels high?

I posted my avatar. At that time I was 186 lbs and 12% body fat. In 2 months I am now 192 with 8% BF. And i am 51 yo. Bench 250 x 10( I think I could 20 reps but my shoulders start to hurt over 10), squat 275x10, same issue. No 'roids but careful attention to blood work.

I think every man should know his own bloodwork. Test, DHT, Estrogen, free T. Know your base levels and then supplements and careful use of OTC pro hormones to optimize.

Since there are no ladies around this post ( I think) I don't mind saying my body looks insane. Nice mild vascularity and nice dense muscle mass. At my gym I catch the 22 year olds ladies staring, in a good way, even smiling and flirting a bit. which is a nice plus.

speshk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Nothing like getting checked out by someone you think is attractive to put a spring in your step and a smile on your face. At any age.

With reasonable care, a nice body, once got, is yours for the keeping.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I posted my avatar. At that time I was 186 lbs and 12% body fat. In 2 months I am now 192 with 8% BF. And i am 51 yo. Bench 250 x 10( I think I could 20 reps but my shoulders start to hurt over 10), squat 275x10, same issue. No 'roids but careful attention to blood work.

I think every man should know his own bloodwork. Test, DHT, Estrogen, free T. Know your base levels and then supplements and careful use of OTC pro hormones to optimize.

Since there are no ladies around this post ( I think) I don't mind saying my body looks insane. Nice mild vascularity and nice dense muscle mass. At my gym I catch the 22 year olds ladies staring, in a good way, even smiling and flirting a bit. which is a nice plus.

I aspire and can only hope to be like you at 51

dylan5778

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I manage a large gym in South australia and love it. I completely agree that working out is the full package...not just the physical results but the health, fitness, energy, endorphins etc etc. I, and many others at my gym that have explained in surveys also believe working out is a great combat for feeling down in the dumps. i strongly believe everyone should exercise. Unfortunately the gym industry has become all about signing up people and banking on their non-attendance. 66% of people who join a gym will have stopped in the forst 3 months - and i don't know about elsewhere but in Oz 90% of people join on direct debit and that is always based on twelve months with very limited excuses to cancel within that period. It can be a shame as people always have the right intention to begin with but then become slack.....In many ways i feel sorry for those that are paying and not using their memberships, but also in many ways i think they should get a grip and start doing somethhing about it. There are 168 hours in a week and the benefits of even just 2-3 hours at the gym are incredible. Its most disappointing when very overweight people join and they say they have been gradually gaining weight over a period of time and you never see them. I personally, like many others participating in this thread, will always workout and love the feeling that really looking after yourself gives.

speshk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I guess that is what I'm saying. I don't go around thinking I'm in good physical shape so everyone wants to have sex with me. I just don't think that way. Also, I don't want to have sex with just anyone...I'm picky, so that doesn't help. Maybe I need a new marketing firm or something. :rolleyes:

Somewhat related, but I wonder if in our tubby society there isn't bias against the fit?

Obesity now a 'lifestyle' choice for Americans, expert says

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes it is worth it. I worked out heavy for many years. I am seeing the results now in being very healthy for my age. I still work out somewhat. Its just a smart thing to do.