Is your boy obama for real?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Skull Mason, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Obama: Seat Michigan, Florida delegates | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Why wasn't he down with this before he clinched the nomination?

Yo, what is up with this cat? You fanboys better get a hold of your boy fast before he fucks this whole shit up. I have this feeling he is starting to blow things a little bit. First his world tour and that pretentious ass speech in germany. He needs to chill and settle down for real, or he is going to start getting on a lot of people's nerves. And now he is up for off shore drilling?

"Like all compromises, it also includes steps that I haven't always supported," Obama conceded. "I remain skeptical that new offshore drilling will bring down gas prices in the short-term or significantly reduce our oil dependence in the long-term." Yet, he is still willing to support off shore drilling?

I mean damn son, grab your fucking nuts and cling to your guns.

2. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    off shore drilling is a no brainer. If we don't grab that oil someone else eventually will.

3. mindseye

Gold Member

"Boy" and "son" are racist in this context, Skull Mason. Obama is older than you are.

4. D_Tintagel_Demondong

Boy, Skully... er.. I mean, Golly Skully,

Don't mind me. I'm just skipping throught the grumdrop forest on my way to Granny's house for some goodies.

It's a shame that this issue is being overshadowed by the arguments over race, celebrity, etc.

Politically, I think that FISA and other shifts have hurt him much more. Offshore drilling will bring down gas prices, but only about 6 cents/gallon, and only after his term.

As for Obama, I think that the flip-flopping will steadily increase until November. I just hope that he doesn't give the GOP enough fodder to play the "flip flopper" card that devistated Kerry.

This boy has spoken.

5. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

The key difference between Obama and Kerry is that Obama is changing his mind based on rethinking his approach. Kerry just said what each individual audience wanted to hear, apparently changing his stance from one extreme to another several times on several issues.

6. MuscledHorse

MuscledHorse Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Actually again it pays to read what was actually said rather thanwhat the media says it means. He didn't say I'm for off shore drilling now. He said he'd be willing to include it in limited scope if that's what it took to reach a compromise [with congress].

7. hot-rod

Gold Member

:mad: Let 'em have the oil. America should 'totally' have alternative sources of energy. :confused: And we don't need oil men or business people running this country. Business is anti-people and we need to throw the bumbs out. That's my opinion, it ought to be yours. :usa1:

8. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

Sure, except that oil and business (especially the latter) keep money flowing through the country. The only problem with oil is that it's flowing too much of that money out of the country instead. If we could keep our fuel domestic, it would stimulate the economy.
    Or, y'know, we could just sit around listening to Rage Against the Machine and swearing that every entity bigger than us to which we can't put one definitive face is an evil soulswallowing incubus.

9. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    what he said

10. artlover20

artlover20 New Member

Thats why I'm still not sure wtf im gonna do when november comes:mad:!!!!!!!!

11. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've pretty much given up. I just don't wanna hear any bitching when McCain gets elected and our economy is down the drain and the price for college is more outrageous than it already is.

O well............war is all we need......as long as McCain can keep one war going while augmenting another, we'll be fine.

12. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

but if he had said it to me, no racist connotation -- suggest something to anyone?

13. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    If you are white....not racist. In this day and age referring to an ADULT AFRICAN-AMERICAN as "Boy" is something that shouldn't be done because it is always perceived as being pejorative.......unless pejorative was the intent

14. SteveHd

Gold Member

May I suggest we discuss the topic? Everyone, please go back and reread the topic post.

15. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh indi, he just likes to be aloof for the attention.

16. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

I would have thought it rather late in the day for that sort of thing, but ok

17. JamieBoy

JamieBoy New Member

Here - problem solved.

You go girl!

Attached Files:

18. ripsrips

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    If the shoe fits...

If it quacks like a duck...looks like a duck...walks like duck...you get the idea.

#18 ripsrips, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  19. Flashy

Gold Member

The OP clearly did not mean "boy" in a negative way at all.

lots of people use boy now, black and white. "he's my boy" is used to describe a close friend, be they black or white. If you are a white guy and your best buddy is black, you play football together, hoops together, are teammates, drive to school together, and have known each other for 15 years, is there any harm in saying "yeah i know him, he's my boy" if someone asked if you knew him?

It happens daily on Pardon The Interruption on ESPN between a white guy (Tony Kornheiser) and black guy (Fred Wilbon) when one or the other is trying to make a point about a guy the other guy is known to like or defend.

I.E. Wilbon will say to Kornheiser "Dwayne Wade...yer boy...scored 37 points last night...etc."

Kornheiser is white, Wade is younger and black. Everyone knows there is no racism there. He is a favorite of his, and Wilbon, the black commentator, has no problem with saying "yer boy", same as then Kornheiser will come back with "LaDainian Thomlinson...yer boy...set the TD record last night...etc."

It is used mostly as a dig at someone who the other thinks is supporting them too much when that athlete didn't deserve it, or if they were overly supportive of that athlete.

the original poster said the same thing....
    he was clearly alluding to people who worship Obama devoutly, and it is absolutely clear he meant nothing racial by it. He is clearly saying he is "their boy" as in they are big fans....not that he is "their boy", and they own him cause they are white and he is black.

Totally different.

Indeed, when some old (or young) redneck a-hole, might talk about Obama and say "that boy ain't got no business being president of the united states" there is a racial connotation to it. The OP said nothing like that.

He clearly wasn't using "boy" in racist terms.

20. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:

Well, ignoring the "frivolity" of language in the o.p. (no doubt enhanced to make it better relative to us "peeps" - lol) what I got out of the link were several things.

1) Michigan and Florida "fucked" themselves up be ignoring clearly delineated party rules and holding their primaries too early (just to be able to one up Iowa and New Hampshire), and as a result were penalized by the DNC who gave them a half vote each. The Republican Nat. Committee did the exact same thing but, funny, no bitchin about them.

2) Obama's name wasn't even on the ballot in, Michigan. Oh...

3) Now the guy whose name wasn't on the ballot wants to give both states delegates their full votes.

4) The writer of the article from the Detroit (Michigan) Free Press observes that his state is a key battleground state in November and that neither candidate, Obama nor McCain, wants voters in that state alienated. McCain has also said he'd like to see RNC delegates fully seated.

So clearly both candidates have endorsed full delegate representation at the convention, after the fact of what occurred when these states chose to ignore party rules. (Imo, this half vote decision smacked too much of the "Three Fifths Compromise" bullshit from the Philly convention of 1787 anyway – but it was better than NO votes at all).

Maybe the o.p. is right. Instead of giving his detractors (who ever lie in wait) yet another opportunity to turn all and any gesture into "flip flopping" and "pandering" maybe Obama should have kept mum on the subject, deferring the decision to the DNC.

(Oh, I forgot. Then he would have been "indecisive" and "unable to take charge".)

#20 b.c., Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
Draft saved Draft deleted